hardware compatibility - maximizing my purchase

maimin_matty

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003
(summary of post: first time poster...is all of this stuff compatible and optimized? thanks!)
Thermaltake XASER III V2420A
Seagate 120GB 7200rpm SATA
CORSAIR MEMORY 512MB PC3200
ASUS Motherboard 800mhz FSB P4P800
Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB

So for the first time in quite a while I am looking at upgrading my computer. I kind of feel like I might be one of the least tech savvy people in this forum, so I figure maybe I can get some good advice.
I want to buy a bunch of components and put my computer together, but I am mildly lost as to whether I am getting the right kind of RAM for my motherboard, or whether I am getting RAM that can maximize my motherboard's potential? On top of that I'm unsure of how this new Serial ATA stuff works with hard drives? Next I wanted to make sure I am getting a motherboard and CPU that match well, from some reading it seems like it's often possible to get a CPU that has features that a motherboard doesn't support (or again vice versa). Lastly, i was wondering if the case I was hoping to get is well liked? I see it got good reviews, but was curious as to whether there was a good alternative.

A lot of questions from a first timer...i know :| but any help is more than welcome! Here is what I was thinking of getting, thanks again!

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
That memory is good unless you are going to overclock. That is a good motherboard/cpu combo as well. However, you could get the 2.6C and overclock that past 3ghz. Another motherboard option is the IC7 Max3.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best "bang for the buck" board concering features is the Abit IS7. The P4P800 is a better choice for the Asus fans, but has fewer features for more money. The IC7-Max3 is a little over the top, you pay for features you probably won't need (or even use).

SATA still isn't faster than ATA, but does allow you to use onboard SATA RAID controllers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS