cooling questions and speed problems

When i installed my new pci ati rage graphics card into my pac bell, i
also reinstalled toe origional cooling fan, replaced the defective
powerleap fan, cleaned the case and applied a nice new layer of
heatsink compound.
The old cooling fan mounted to the front of the case and blew air into
the old heatsink which was around 2-3 inches tall and did not have a
fan on top of it.
Though the snow has already begun to fall in kamloops and last night
was a cool -2 degrees (i think) My room was the warmest room in the
house but recently i have noticed that it a long time to load files
when in my computer, my documents, windows explorer, properties etc.
but programs are not really affected.
I have heard that the hotter the cpu, the slower the computer.

Is this right?

A hotter cpu will not affect the speed withinh normal limits
unless of course the speed is cut back due to overheating
The speed is dependent on the bus speed and multiplication
It is also very dependent on the junction spacing which should not concern
you

Using the smallest possible amount of heatsink compiund is advisable
Too much and the heat transfer is actually diminished

Did you remove the new ATI card and see if the problem goes away
Including all the software if any

You also looked using alt ctrl and delete to see what is running in
background
or the appropriate method depending on your OS

Off hand it is not a heat thing

"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> When i installed my new pci ati rage graphics card into my pac bell, i
> also reinstalled toe origional cooling fan, replaced the defective
> powerleap fan, cleaned the case and applied a nice new layer of
> heatsink compound.
> The old cooling fan mounted to the front of the case and blew air into
> the old heatsink which was around 2-3 inches tall and did not have a
> fan on top of it.
> Though the snow has already begun to fall in kamloops and last night
> was a cool -2 degrees (i think) My room was the warmest room in the
> house but recently i have noticed that it a long time to load files
> when in my computer, my documents, windows explorer, properties etc.
> but programs are not really affected.
> I have heard that the hotter the cpu, the slower the computer.
>
> Is this right?

I know for certainthat it is not the card.
I only noticed it after i got my powerleap up and running and i
noticed the speed differences between for example internet explorer
and searching through windoes explorer.
I recently defraged my drive, scanned for errors with norton win
doctor, removed some of my programs that are large in size or are not
used.
I aalso removed the drivers prom items that are no longer attached to
the computer (for example my pbtv tuner card.)
I can't seem to enable the 256k cache i installed becaue when i do the
hard drive light stays on and only goes off when the cache is
disabled.
The cache would help obviously if the current cache is 32k and i added
256k right?
"metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<9OadnRsqyKRLIObcRVn-iw@comcast.com>...
> A hotter cpu will not affect the speed withinh normal limits
> unless of course the speed is cut back due to overheating
> The speed is dependent on the bus speed and multiplication
> It is also very dependent on the junction spacing which should not concern
> you
>
> Using the smallest possible amount of heatsink compiund is advisable
> Too much and the heat transfer is actually diminished
>

> Did you remove the new ATI card and see if the problem goes away
> Including all the software if any
>

> You also looked using alt ctrl and delete to see what is running in
> background
> or the appropriate method depending on your OS
>
> Off hand it is not a heat thing
>

> "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> > When i installed my new pci ati rage graphics card into my pac bell, i
> > also reinstalled toe origional cooling fan, replaced the defective
> > powerleap fan, cleaned the case and applied a nice new layer of
> > heatsink compound.
> > The old cooling fan mounted to the front of the case and blew air into
> > the old heatsink which was around 2-3 inches tall and did not have a
> > fan on top of it.
> > Though the snow has already begun to fall in kamloops and last night
> > was a cool -2 degrees (i think) My room was the warmest room in the
> > house but recently i have noticed that it a long time to load files
> > when in my computer, my documents, windows explorer, properties etc.
> > but programs are not really affected.
> > I have heard that the hotter the cpu, the slower the computer.
> >
> > Is this right?

I just enabled the cache and the speed problem dissapeared.
But now the hard drive light as mentioned stays on.
What could fix this?
I use that light as an indicator because my nice 20gb hard drive is
very quiet and i don't know if it is reading/writing or not running
unless the light is blinking.
"metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<9OadnRsqyKRLIObcRVn-iw@comcast.com>...
> A hotter cpu will not affect the speed withinh normal limits
> unless of course the speed is cut back due to overheating
> The speed is dependent on the bus speed and multiplication
> It is also very dependent on the junction spacing which should not concern
> you
>
> Using the smallest possible amount of heatsink compiund is advisable
> Too much and the heat transfer is actually diminished
>

> Did you remove the new ATI card and see if the problem goes away
> Including all the software if any
>

> You also looked using alt ctrl and delete to see what is running in
> background
> or the appropriate method depending on your OS
>
> Off hand it is not a heat thing
>

> "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> > When i installed my new pci ati rage graphics card into my pac bell, i
> > also reinstalled toe origional cooling fan, replaced the defective
> > powerleap fan, cleaned the case and applied a nice new layer of
> > heatsink compound.
> > The old cooling fan mounted to the front of the case and blew air into
> > the old heatsink which was around 2-3 inches tall and did not have a
> > fan on top of it.
> > Though the snow has already begun to fall in kamloops and last night
> > was a cool -2 degrees (i think) My room was the warmest room in the
> > house but recently i have noticed that it a long time to load files
> > when in my computer, my documents, windows explorer, properties etc.
> > but programs are not really affected.
> > I have heard that the hotter the cpu, the slower the computer.
> >
> > Is this right?

problem fixed.
I changed the jumper settings on the hard drive and the problem dissapeared.