invalid BOOT.INI

new error message on start up "Invalid BOOT.INI boot from windowsC://"
fixable? . also cleaned my LARGE prefetch folder and it has remained empty
for a month ...?
Been online 10 years never had a virus worm or trojan was hijacked once or
twice and had a porn dialer ( it wasn't me honest!) bury itself in my...
system aheh good luck to all of us here huh and thank goodness for genius
,, smiles @ the answer wo/man
10 answers Last reply
More about invalid boot

    Hard to say without seeing the text of boot.ini Probably missing the
    'default=' line though. Should be as below.

    Look for it in the root of the system partition (first primary active
    partition)

    Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
    and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
    files" to locate the files in the system partition.

    ------------------------------­----
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Windows" /fastdetect
    /NoExecute=OptIn
    ------------------------------­----

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "ID10T_ERROR" wrote:

    > new error message on start up "Invalid BOOT.INI boot from windowsC://"
    > fixable? . also cleaned my LARGE prefetch folder and it has remained empty
    > for a month ...?
    > Been online 10 years never had a virus worm or trojan was hijacked once or
    > twice and had a porn dialer ( it wasn't me honest!) bury itself in my...
    > system aheh good luck to all of us here huh and thank goodness for genius
    > ,, smiles @ the answer wo/man

    >> says like this c:\boot.ini cannot be opened op sys and timeout cannot be changed then it opens and it is empty and asks if i might like to crreate a new file might i just copy the boot.ini info you gave me into a file? please and thank you

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

    The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard disk and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an SP2 system.

    Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.

    If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with more info.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "ID10T_ERROR" <ID10TERROR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F1D9A87-FA32-447D-A00D-BFD16AA7CC94@microsoft.com...
    > new error message on start up "Invalid BOOT.INI boot from windowsC://"
    > fixable? . also cleaned my LARGE prefetch folder and it has remained empty
    > for a month ...?
    > Been online 10 years never had a virus worm or trojan was hijacked once or
    > twice and had a porn dialer ( it wasn't me honest!) bury itself in my...
    > system aheh good luck to all of us here huh and thank goodness for genius
    > ,, smiles @ the answer wo/man

    "ID10T_ERROR" <ID10TERROR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >new error message on start up "Invalid BOOT.INI boot from windowsC://"
    >fixable? . also cleaned my LARGE prefetch folder and it has remained empty
    >for a month ...?
    > Been online 10 years never had a virus worm or trojan was hijacked once or
    >twice and had a porn dialer ( it wasn't me honest!) bury itself in my...
    >system aheh good luck to all of us here huh and thank goodness for genius
    >,, smiles @ the answer wo/man

    Boot your computer to the Windows XP Recovery Console and when it
    stops at the Command prompt enter the following command:

    BOOTCFG /REBUILD

    That will create a new BOOT.INI file with valid information.

    To run the Windows XP Recovery Console use 1 of the following
    procedures:
    1. Some computers come with the Recovery Console preinstalled on the
    hard drive. A startup menu with this option will show briefly when
    the computer is powered up.
    2. If you have a Windows XP installation CD boot your computer with
    the CD and choose the Repair (Recovery Console) option from the menu.
    3. Go to http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and get the boot
    diskette images for your version of Windows XP. Create the diskettes
    and boot the computer with these.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    You need to provide more information on your system. Both examples of a BOOT.INI file that have been posted are for systems with SP2 installed, and are for a computer with 1 hard disk, and XP installed on the first partition. They also assume that XP is installed in the Windows directory.

    With SP2:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

    Without SP2:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /FASTDETECT

    An invalid BOOT.INI will not stop the system from booting, normally. BOOT.INI is a hidden, read-only file in the root directory of the C: drive. The best way to access it is to go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings and click the Edit button.

    "ID10T_ERROR" <ID10TERROR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:772B60F4-16F4-41BF-9A63-2B738EED3FFB@microsoft.com...

    > "ID10T_ERROR" wrote:
    >
    >> new error message on start up "Invalid BOOT.INI boot from windowsC://"
    >> fixable? . also cleaned my LARGE prefetch folder and it has remained empty
    >> for a month ...?
    >> Been online 10 years never had a virus worm or trojan was hijacked once or
    >> twice and had a porn dialer ( it wasn't me honest!) bury itself in my...
    >> system aheh good luck to all of us here huh and thank goodness for genius
    >> ,, smiles @ the answer wo/man
    >

    >>> says like this c:\boot.ini cannot be opened op sys and timeout cannot be changed then it opens and it is empty and asks if i might like to crreate a new file might i just copy the boot.ini info you gave me into a file? please and thank you

    >> sorry peoples (points to name) running windows XP Pro sp2 , ran recovery
    console got as far as admin password, "invalid" yet i log in using it
    ...different password for this task ? did i have to create a password when i
    installed XP on this machine ? if so i lost it in a pile of passwords
    scribbled here and there marked hmmm ??? yes i do have the C/D , is there
    another way perhaps Ron Martell, those diskettes D/l on dial up sounds
    painfully loooooooong ..a system restore maybe ? sincerely " an idjit "

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "ID10T_ERROR" <ID10TERROR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >new error message on start up "Invalid BOOT.INI boot from windowsC://"
    > >fixable? . also cleaned my LARGE prefetch folder and it has remained empty
    > >for a month ...?
    > > Been online 10 years never had a virus worm or trojan was hijacked once or
    > >twice and had a porn dialer ( it wasn't me honest!) bury itself in my...
    > >system aheh good luck to all of us here huh and thank goodness for genius
    > >,, smiles @ the answer wo/man
    >
    > Boot your computer to the Windows XP Recovery Console and when it
    > stops at the Command prompt enter the following command:
    >
    > BOOTCFG /REBUILD
    >
    > That will create a new BOOT.INI file with valid information.
    >
    > To run the Windows XP Recovery Console use 1 of the following
    > procedures:
    > 1. Some computers come with the Recovery Console preinstalled on the
    > hard drive. A startup menu with this option will show briefly when
    > the computer is powered up.
    > 2. If you have a Windows XP installation CD boot your computer with
    > the CD and choose the Repair (Recovery Console) option from the menu.
    > 3. Go to http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and get the boot
    > diskette images for your version of Windows XP. Create the diskettes
    > and boot the computer with these.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    >> one of my other machines is running using the same C/D for XP ( i DO save
    the registration numbers for my C/D roms ) so i simply copied THAT BOOT.INI
    into this machine ( same rom same boot.ini no?)...
    So i'm the fool thats keeping Microsoft rich eh? I have 3 Windows XP pro
    c/d roms I bought thinking they are different or was in another country and
    needed a PC to play my games or check mails are these C/D Roms the SAME ?
    if so i can give a couple to my friends who are running older operating
    systems , thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated

    "ID10T_ERROR" wrote:

    > >> sorry peoples (points to name) running windows XP Pro sp2 , ran recovery
    > console got as far as admin password, "invalid" yet i log in using it
    > ..different password for this task ? did i have to create a password when i
    > installed XP on this machine ? if so i lost it in a pile of passwords
    > scribbled here and there marked hmmm ??? yes i do have the C/D , is there
    > another way perhaps Ron Martell, those diskettes D/l on dial up sounds
    > painfully loooooooong ..a system restore maybe ? sincerely " an idjit "
    >
    > "Ron Martell" wrote:
    >
    > > "ID10T_ERROR" <ID10TERROR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >new error message on start up "Invalid BOOT.INI boot from windowsC://"
    > > >fixable? . also cleaned my LARGE prefetch folder and it has remained empty
    > > >for a month ...?
    > > > Been online 10 years never had a virus worm or trojan was hijacked once or
    > > >twice and had a porn dialer ( it wasn't me honest!) bury itself in my...
    > > >system aheh good luck to all of us here huh and thank goodness for genius
    > > >,, smiles @ the answer wo/man
    > >
    > > Boot your computer to the Windows XP Recovery Console and when it
    > > stops at the Command prompt enter the following command:
    > >
    > > BOOTCFG /REBUILD
    > >
    > > That will create a new BOOT.INI file with valid information.
    > >
    > > To run the Windows XP Recovery Console use 1 of the following
    > > procedures:
    > > 1. Some computers come with the Recovery Console preinstalled on the
    > > hard drive. A startup menu with this option will show briefly when
    > > the computer is powered up.
    > > 2. If you have a Windows XP installation CD boot your computer with
    > > the CD and choose the Repair (Recovery Console) option from the menu.
    > > 3. Go to http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and get the boot
    > > diskette images for your version of Windows XP. Create the diskettes
    > > and boot the computer with these.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >
    > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >
    > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    >> ok NO that didn't work now on boot is asks which windows default to
    boot from im thinking this is one error message i will have to live with
    thank you all very much for your knowledge

    "ID10T_ERROR" wrote:

    > >> one of my other machines is running using the same C/D for XP ( i DO save
    > the registration numbers for my C/D roms ) so i simply copied THAT BOOT.INI
    > into this machine ( same rom same boot.ini no?)...
    > So i'm the fool thats keeping Microsoft rich eh? I have 3 Windows XP pro
    > c/d roms I bought thinking they are different or was in another country and
    > needed a PC to play my games or check mails are these C/D Roms the SAME ?
    > if so i can give a couple to my friends who are running older operating
    > systems , thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated

    > > console got as far as admin password, "invalid" yet i log in using it
    > > ..different password for this task ? did i have to create a password when i
    > > installed XP on this machine ? if so i lost it in a pile of passwords
    > > scribbled here and there marked hmmm ??? yes i do have the C/D , is there
    > > another way perhaps Ron Martell, those diskettes D/l on dial up sounds
    > > painfully loooooooong ..a system restore maybe ? sincerely " an idjit "

    > > > Boot your computer to the Windows XP Recovery Console and when it
    > > > stops at the Command prompt enter the following command:
    > > >
    > > > BOOTCFG /REBUILD
    > > >
    > > > That will create a new BOOT.INI file with valid information.
    > > >
    > > > To run the Windows XP Recovery Console use 1 of the following
    > > > procedures:
    > > > 1. Some computers come with the Recovery Console preinstalled on the
    > > > hard drive. A startup menu with this option will show briefly when
    > > > the computer is powered up.
    > > > 2. If you have a Windows XP installation CD boot your computer with
    > > > the CD and choose the Repair (Recovery Console) option from the menu.
    > > > 3. Go to http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and get the boot
    > > > diskette images for your version of Windows XP. Create the diskettes
    > > > and boot the computer with these.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck
    > > >
    > > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > > --
    > > > Microsoft MVP
    > > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > > >
    > > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "ID10T_ERROR" <ID10TERROR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >>> sorry peoples (points to name) running windows XP Pro sp2 , ran recovery
    >console got as far as admin password, "invalid" yet i log in using it
    >..different password for this task ? did i have to create a password when i
    >installed XP on this machine ? if so i lost it in a pile of passwords
    >scribbled here and there marked hmmm ??? yes i do have the C/D , is there
    >another way perhaps Ron Martell, those diskettes D/l on dial up sounds
    >painfully loooooooong ..a system restore maybe ? sincerely " an idjit "

    The default password for the Admin account is blank (as in no
    password). Did you try that?

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I did Ron Martell and still I got no further ,but I did learn to use the
    recovery console and play with all those commands in prompt and stuff you
    all were very helpful, Doug Knox says it is just a read file and will not
    stop it from loading normally thank you thank you

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > >console got as far as admin password, "invalid" yet i log in using it
    > >..different password for this task ? did i have to create a password when i
    > >installed XP on this machine ? if so i lost it in a pile of passwords
    > >scribbled here and there marked hmmm ??? yes i do have the C/D , is there
    > >another way perhaps Ron Martell, those diskettes D/l on dial up sounds
    > >painfully loooooooong ..a system restore maybe ? sincerely " an idjit "
    > >

    > The default password for the Admin account is blank (as in no
    > password). Did you try that?
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --