building new sys

wannabetech

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003
Hi outthere; I am currently building my first PC for single user home/business use gamimg video photos etc, or potential small network set-up. I decided to start with the AMD 64 Processor using the Asus K8V deluxe Mother board. I have not completed all purchases as of yet, only have the case, MB and DVD r/RW. I am not sure what OS I should use? Server 2003? Any suggestions?

G

No need for an expensive server OS. Just get XP home to get started right away, and if you want to learn, setup a dual boot with a Linux distro of your choice. There are, however, still precious few Linux games, and if you've never used Linux, I doubt you will be quickly up and running with everything, hence I suggest you dual boot. As for the 64 bit OS; 64 bit windows will only ship somewhere 1H04, there are plenty of 64 bit Linux distro's out though. Have a look at Suse or Mandrake, and be sure to let us know how it goes :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
True, today, Linux is the only OS that is 64bit compatible. But I still think it's a better idea to start with WinXP Pro or Home. Linux is pretty hard to master and there are really few games for it. Also, a Linux based PC can be a great server but if you want a good workstation Linux may give you a hard time as not all hardware companies release drivers for it.
What I'd do is install WinXP now and the 64bit version later when it come out. If you wanna save on an OS that you'll be using only for a few months you can get XP Home.

My anger and my wrath will be poured on this place on man and beast on the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground it will burn and not be quenched Jeremiah 7:20
I am ALPHA and OMEGA, burn!