Sign in with
Your question

How to find out what application is making my system stutter?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 13, 2012 6:12:25 AM

Hi, I have a problem. About 2 months ago I bought a new laptop. (Asus n56v)
Since day one, I noticed every application I run will freeze or stutter every now and then. Its totally random when it does this.
No matter what I am doing, web browsing, watching a video or playing a game. I always notice the application will stutter. I never get any errors, the applications never crash they just stutter for a second.

Now, being a smart wiz that I am, I half screened a video playing, while I had task manger opened in the other half. I went to the performance tab and waited. Sure enough when the video started to stutter, I noticed all of my cores went up to 100% for the time the video was stuttering. Then they went back to normal 1 - 5%.

Again its not just 1 program that does this. Every program does this. Its not my drivers as I installed them over and over again. Its not my video card as I was able to switch to my on board intel 4000 gpu and it still does the same thing.

So my only theory now is that there is a background application running that seems to be trying to do something quite intensive every now and then and this seems to be making my applications stutter.

So is there a way to check to see what application is using 100% of my cpu every now and then?

More info on my laptop,
Core i7 3rd gen.
Nvidia GT 650m
750GB hybrid ssd drive from seagate.
November 13, 2012 6:52:03 AM

Sounds like a HDD problem (well kinda).
In laptops, HDDs normally are set to medium energy consumption. This means, that when not in use, they will go to "sleep mode". Everytime the OS needs to access any data, it will turn on the HDDs back, but there will be a 1-4 second stutter due to the spin up process.

The more stuff you have on your hdd, the longer this stutter becomes.

Im not 100% sure its this, but i had this problem myself even on my desktop till i changed the energy options and changed hdd to never go sleep mode >D.

Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2012 8:04:37 AM

What you describe should NOT be happening in normal circumstances.

I suspect it is a problem related to the Hybrid drive. If you had a 2.5" Hard Drive or SSD that was large enough to CLONE to you could test this.

Otherwise you should likely contact the company that made your laptop as I suspect the problem is common.

Other:
- update your BIOS if it's not up to date
- run MEMTEST for at least 15 minutes
- Hybrid drive FIRMWARE update ??
m
l
November 13, 2012 10:43:32 AM

The laptop came with a 750 gb normal harddrive, although I removed it when I bought it, and replaced it with the hybrid drive.

I'll clone the drive and see whats up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2012 4:45:27 PM

timmie3054 said:
The laptop came with a 750 gb normal harddrive, although I removed it when I bought it, and replaced it with the hybrid drive.

I'll clone the drive and see whats up.

Did you have any issues when the original Hard Drive was installed?
m
l
!