Order XP Service Pack 2 on CD?

keith

I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so ...

Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
Microsoft? Thanks.

--Keith

Keith wrote:
> I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so
>
> Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
> Microsoft? Thanks.

Gone it seems.
Download the full (IT Version) file and burn it to your own CD or have a
friend with bandwidth do it for you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

keith

Good idea! I forgot about downloading the IT version! Thanks.

--Keith

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Keith wrote:
> > I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so
> >
> > Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
> > Microsoft? Thanks.
>
> Gone it seems.
> Download the full (IT Version) file and burn it to your own CD or have a
> friend with bandwidth do it for you.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Just checked. Still available for download at the MS Download Center

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=SP2&productID=4C937A02-BAE0-4317-A1A9-0C56CD979D05&DisplayLang=en
--
Peter

"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95648D02-70FB-45AE-B155-57C5D78008CC@microsoft.com...
>I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so ....
>
> Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
> Microsoft? Thanks.
>
> --Keith

Hello Keith,

The link still exists but it does not seem to work and just re-directs back to the same page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so ...
>
> Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
> Microsoft? Thanks.
>
> --Keith

The CD might be available via the MS Order Desk:

U.S. Customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at 1-800-360-7561,
Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific time.

Canadian Customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at 1-800-933-4750,
Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific time.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Keith wrote:
> I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so ...
>
> Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
> Microsoft? Thanks.
>
> --Keith

Alias

It seems to be gone. I had book marked it and now it's a different page.

Alias

"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so ...
>
> Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
> Microsoft? Thanks.
>
> --Keith

Hi:

I called the alleged "help" desk. And they are very sorry but the CD is no
longer available and SP2 can only be obtained via a download. I am currently
downloading it and estimated time is 10 hours and I have high speed. The
friendly support person said well it shouldn't be that long. Sorry
Microsoft, but not being able to order the CD (and I'm willing to pay for it)
is really bad customer service.

VMH wrote:
> I called the alleged "help" desk. And they are very sorry but the CD
> is no longer available and SP2 can only be obtained via a download.
> I am currently downloading it and estimated time is 10 hours and I
> have high speed. The friendly support person said well it shouldn't
> be that long. Sorry Microsoft, but not being able to order the CD
> (and I'm willing to pay for it) is really bad customer service.

I disagree.. They left it available for free for a year.. That's a whole
year where you did not bother to order the FREE CD.

That - and even if the 10 hours is accurate, that's at least a week shorter
than it would have taken you to receive it via shipping and in the end - if
you burn it to CD - you have the same thing.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Wouldn't you think that a fellow with about 50 billion to his name
could see his way clear to provide CDs of the operating system WITH
the service packs slipstreamed? Yeah, I know, just as soon as pigs fly.

SpryMan wrote:
> Wouldn't you think that a fellow with about 50 billion to his name
> could see his way clear to provide CDs of the operating system WITH
> the service packs slipstreamed? Yeah, I know, just as soon as pigs
> fly.

Doesn't matter how much your worth - how long do you give something away for
free? It's been a full YEAR since the product update was released. The
product update itself is still free, just the convenience factor of getting
it via a CD is gone.

Although - if you have a friend/relative/casual aquaintence with a broadband
connection and you can email them/postal mail them and ask for them to
download and burn you a copy of the SP2 patch to CD - you have the same
thing. Even more convenient if you have the broadband connection and a CD
burner - you can make it yourself. You can even be nice and send it to your
family members who do not have the advantages you do.

As far as giving away a copy of the Slipstreamed Operating System... Hmmm -
not a bad plan - I can see setting something up where they could use
something like "Genuine Advantage" and the likes (now) to verify you own a
copy electronically - or you could send in your proof of purchase and/or CD
key someplace and get a copy of a Service Pack 2 slipstreamed edition of
Windows XP (or whatever OS we happen to be on at the time.) Perhaps even
download the ISO - if you are so inclined. There's a bit more to that one
though - that makes it impractical for the most part. Anyway - yeah - I
suppose I could see that - even though anyone with a CD burner and the free
patch(es) can create not only a Windows XP slipstreamed/integrated CD
themselves - but one with a lot more than just that included. Sure - it
takes effort. So? If you are a person of means and time - what prevents
you from doing it for your family/friends? Once you get the process down -
it doesn't take long.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You really need to get BETTER high speed! Any true HS internet
connection would have it in less than 1/2 hour.

VMH wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I called the alleged "help" desk. And they are very sorry but the CD is no
> longer available and SP2 can only be obtained via a download. I am currently
> downloading it and estimated time is 10 hours and I have high speed. The
> friendly support person said well it shouldn't be that long. Sorry
> Microsoft, but not being able to order the CD (and I'm willing to pay for it)
> is really bad customer service.
>

> "PA Bear" wrote:
>

>>The CD might be available via the MS Order Desk:
>>
>>U.S. Customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at 1-800-360-7561,
>>Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific time.
>>
>>Canadian Customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at 1-800-933-4750,
>>Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific time.
>>--
>>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>>

>>Keith wrote:
>>
>>>I hate to ask, but I can't find the link on the MS site anywhere, so ...
>>>
>>>Does someone know the URL to the page where I can order SP2 on CD from
>>>Microsoft? Thanks.
>>>
>>>--Keith

Yes you can buy XP w/sp2 retail. Next stupid question, please.

SpryMan wrote:

> Wouldn't you think that a fellow with about 50 billion to his name
> could see his way clear to provide CDs of the operating system WITH
> the service packs slipstreamed? Yeah, I know, just as soon as pigs fly.

Kernel

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2005

Man you sure are thick. Don't you realize that millions of
people who bought XP have had to either download SP 2
or order the SP-2 CD, then load SP-2 into XP or slipstream
SP-2 into their XP if they know how to do that? Now, once
you figure out that MS has thus wasted literally billions of
man hours of peoples time doing the above, wouldn't you
think that a fellow with over 50 billion bucks to his name, and
whose wife gives away the loot in chunks of 750 million bucks
at a time, would see his way clear to give all of his customers
the CD with SP-2 slipstreamed into XP...THEY ALREADY
BOUGHT IT YOU NINNY...now they need to format and
reload the blankety blank thing 'cause it's got thousands of
security loopholes. Oh never mind, I'm sure most of this is
way over your head...are you by any chance Carey Frisch
in disguise? ? ?

> Yes you can buy XP w/sp2 retail. Next stupid question, please.
>
> SpryMan wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't you think that a fellow with about 50 billion to his name
>> could see his way clear to provide CDs of the operating system WITH
>> the service packs slipstreamed? Yeah, I know, just as soon as pigs fly.

BOO HOO HOO. I did a re-install without SP2 and then downloaded all
the updates. It didn't take that long.

Next Whine!

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:36:33 -0700, "kernel"
<imthekeytoitall@causeimakernel> wrote:

>Man you sure are thick. Don't you realize that millions of
>people who bought XP have had to either download SP 2
>or order the SP-2 CD, then load SP-2 into XP or slipstream
>SP-2 into their XP if they know how to do that? Now, once
>you figure out that MS has thus wasted literally billions of
>man hours of peoples time doing the above, wouldn't you
>think that a fellow with over 50 billion bucks to his name, and
>whose wife gives away the loot in chunks of 750 million bucks
>at a time, would see his way clear to give all of his customers
>the CD with SP-2 slipstreamed into XP...THEY ALREADY
>BOUGHT IT YOU NINNY...now they need to format and
>reload the blankety blank thing 'cause it's got thousands of
>security loopholes. Oh never mind, I'm sure most of this is
>way over your head...are you by any chance Carey Frisch
>in disguise? ? ?
>
>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Yes you can buy XP w/sp2 retail. Next stupid question, please.
>>
>> SpryMan wrote:
>>
>>> Wouldn't you think that a fellow with about 50 billion to his name
>>> could see his way clear to provide CDs of the operating system WITH
>>> the service packs slipstreamed? Yeah, I know, just as soon as pigs fly.

--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Paul Knudsen wrote:
> BOO HOO HOO. I did a re-install without SP2 and then downloaded all
> the updates. It didn't take that long.
> Next Whine!

You gotta be kidding me! SP2 d/l is 270MB, almost 40 mins 1Mbps, plus
installation takes about another hour.

Then it takes another 2 hours or so for all the other updates to be
d/l-ed and installed (and system reboots).

That's a long time in my book.

Z wrote:
> Paul Knudsen wrote:
>> BOO HOO HOO. I did a re-install without SP2 and then downloaded all
>> the updates. It didn't take that long.
>> Next Whine!
>
> You gotta be kidding me! SP2 d/l is 270MB, almost 40 mins 1Mbps, plus
> installation takes about another hour.
>
> Then it takes another 2 hours or so for all the other updates to be
> d/l-ed and installed (and system reboots).
>
> That's a long time in my book.

Never installed linux via FTP before, eh?
Plus most people's "high speed" these days is 3Mbps down.. or faster.

If it takes you an hour to install SP2 - something else is wrong -
especially after a clean install.
Not to mention you could have saved time by integrating SP2 into your
installation before reinstalling.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hello clueless one,

If you really expect Microsoft to press and give away copies of every
version of WindowsXP with SP2 preinstalled to save you "time", you
obviously aren't playing with full deck. Now on the other hand if
someone was to have a couple of working brain cells they would ask for a
replacement disk and pay shipping costs if their time was so "valuable".

Good day

kernel wrote:

> Man you sure are thick. Don't you realize that millions of
> people who bought XP have had to either download SP 2
> or order the SP-2 CD, then load SP-2 into XP or slipstream
> SP-2 into their XP if they know how to do that? Now, once
> you figure out that MS has thus wasted literally billions of
> man hours of peoples time doing the above, wouldn't you
> think that a fellow with over 50 billion bucks to his name, and
> whose wife gives away the loot in chunks of 750 million bucks
> at a time, would see his way clear to give all of his customers
> the CD with SP-2 slipstreamed into XP...THEY ALREADY
> BOUGHT IT YOU NINNY...now they need to format and
> reload the blankety blank thing 'cause it's got thousands of
> security loopholes. Oh never mind, I'm sure most of this is
> way over your head...are you by any chance Carey Frisch
> in disguise? ? ?
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Yes you can buy XP w/sp2 retail. Next stupid question, please.
>>
>>SpryMan wrote:
>>

>>>Wouldn't you think that a fellow with about 50 billion to his name
>>>could see his way clear to provide CDs of the operating system WITH
>>>the service packs slipstreamed? Yeah, I know, just as soon as pigs fly.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Top this if you can, I ordered a replacement disk from Microsoft, and it
CAME WITH A NEW CODE. Finally, something for free from you know
who; anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you microsoft.

Bob wrote:
> Top this if you can, I ordered a replacement disk from Microsoft, and
> it CAME WITH A NEW CODE. Finally, something for free from you know
> who; anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you microsoft.

There are thousands(more) who run Microsoft software and never paid a dime.
Legally? Perhaps not - but they do exist.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP