Help: Installing HP LaserJet 5M

ad

Hi
I have got a second hand HP Laserjet 5M without any manual books. I am
trying to install it at home as a network printer.

I have done a factory default reset (cold reset) and then managed to set the
addresses (IP, sub mask, gateway) through it's front panel. My home network
is around a Netgear wireless router. The printer however is connected
through cable.

Now, from my computers, I can ping the printer; I can telnet the printer,
but I can not see the printer either through "HP Install Network Printer
Wizard" or Windows XP add new printer. Nothing can be detected, either
automatic or by specifying IP or MAC address.

I have searched the net and haven't got any clue. Wonder if any one can help
me on this. Thanks in advance.

ad

On the seventh day, ad wrote...

> Hi
> I have got a second hand HP Laserjet 5M without any manual books. I am
> trying to install it at home as a network printer.
>
> I have done a factory default reset (cold reset) and then managed to set the
> addresses (IP, sub mask, gateway) through it's front panel. My home network
> is around a Netgear wireless router. The printer however is connected
> through cable.
>
> Now, from my computers, I can ping the printer; I can telnet the printer,
> but I can not see the printer either through "HP Install Network Printer
> Wizard" or Windows XP add new printer. Nothing can be detected, either
> automatic or by specifying IP or MAC address.
>
> I have searched the net and haven't got any clue. Wonder if any one can help
> me on this. Thanks in advance.

Have you set the gateway IP as well? Please print a test page from the
printer menu and post its content as well as your network config. Maybe
that give me some more clues as to what's going on.

"I fought the Dharma, and the Dharma won." (Allen Ginsberg)

"Nothing can be detected, either automatic or by specifying IP or MAC address."
In my experience, the MAC address works every time with Install Network Printer
Wizard, even if the settings in the JetDirect card are way different than the
network to which it is attached. Let me suggest a couple of possibilities:

1. The cable is defective. Does the light on the router port flash when the
printer is attached via the cable?
2. The JetDirect card is defective. See 1.
3. A firewall or router setting is getting in the way of INPW. You can ping the
printer and telnet it, so this implies that software is the villain, not the
cable and not the JetDirect.

.... Ben Myers

ad wrote:

> Now, from my computers, I can ping the printer; I can telnet the printer,
> but I can not see the printer either through "HP Install Network Printer
> Wizard" or Windows XP add new printer. Nothing can be detected, either
> automatic or by specifying IP or MAC address.

Can you show us the network settings on the computer (the output of
ipconfig /all), what other protocols are installed (like ipx, or netbeui).

Also, show the JetDirect settings. Telnet into the printer, and if your
telnet (like the windows telnet) doesn't echo, tap enter twice to init
the command interpreter, and type / <enter> (single slash, enter) to
show the settings.

Copy/paste etc.

Also show the IP settings of the accesspoint. Maybe there are some
routing problems.

--
Alex.

ad

"Christian D¨¹rrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
> On the seventh day, ad wrote...
>
>> Hi
>> I have got a second hand HP Laserjet 5M without any manual books.
>> I am
>> trying to install it at home as a network printer.
>>
>> I have done a factory default reset (cold reset) and then managed
>> to set the
>> addresses (IP, sub mask, gateway) through it's front panel. My
>> home network
>> is around a Netgear wireless router. The printer however is
>> connected
>> through cable.
>>
>> Now, from my computers, I can ping the printer; I can telnet the
>> printer,
>> but I can not see the printer either through "HP Install Network
>> Printer
>> Wizard" or Windows XP add new printer. Nothing can be detected,
>> either
>> automatic or by specifying IP or MAC address.
>>
>> I have searched the net and haven't got any clue. Wonder if any
>> one can help
>> me on this. Thanks in advance.
>
> Have you set the gateway IP as well? Please print a test page from
> the
> printer menu and post its content as well as your network config.
> Maybe
> that give me some more clues as to what's going on.
>
> --
> mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
> Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
>
> "I fought the Dharma, and the Dharma won." (Allen Ginsberg)

Thanks. Yes I have set the gateway IP which is my router 192.168.0.1

I have now managed to make it work, in a way I don't fully
understand.
I tried to install a "local" printer rather than network printer
and set that local printer port to TCP/IP port. It worked.

I still don't understand why it's not seen as a network printer. And
can not do the above on my other computer which runs Win98 as it
doesn't
allow my to configure TCP/IP port for a local printer.

I will post details of the printer's configuration print later.

ad

ad

"Alex van Denzel" <vandenzel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ad wrote:
>
>> Now, from my computers, I can ping the printer; I can telnet the
>> printer, but I can not see the printer either through "HP Install
>> Network Printer Wizard" or Windows XP add new printer. Nothing
>> can be detected, either automatic or by specifying IP or MAC
>> address.
>
> Can you show us the network settings on the computer (the output
> of ipconfig /all), what other protocols are installed (like ipx,
> or netbeui).
>
> Also, show the JetDirect settings. Telnet into the printer, and if
> your telnet (like the windows telnet) doesn't echo, tap enter
> twice to init the command interpreter, and type / <enter> (single
> slash, enter) to show the settings.
>
> Copy/paste etc.
>
> Also show the IP settings of the accesspoint. Maybe there are some
> routing problems.
>
> --
> Alex.

Thanks Alex. I'll try what you suggested tonight.

Actuaaly I have now managed to make it work, in a way I don't fully

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:52:26 +1000, ad <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
> Actuaaly I have now managed to make it work, in a way I don't fully
> understand. I tried to install a "local" printer rather than network
> printer and set that local printer port to TCP/IP port. It worked.
>
> I still don't understand why it's not seen as a network printer. And
> can not do the above on my other computer which runs Win98 as it
> doesn't
> allow my to configure TCP/IP port for a local printer.

What Windows calls Network printers are only printers that respond to Win
file/printer sharing using netbios ports (or internet printing), and
JetDirect does not do netbios (not sure about ipp). So you have to fake
out Windows by configuring it as a "Local" TCP port. I believe either
JetDirect or Unix-like LPR/LPD printing works with JetDirect.

We had one PC at work that didn't seem to work with the HP software, but
worked using the local TCP port trick. And I was able to color print to
our OfficeJet G85 from WinNT by setting it up like LPR with an old Deskjet
driver (crude resolution, but worked).

For Win9x you can get a shareware program called tp_lpr from a SimTel
mirror or web search. If you telnet to the printer, you should be able to
get a list of queue names, but otherwise "raw" should work (since Windows
driver will already convert output to PCL) or maybe "binps" if it does
postscript.

ad

> "Nothing can be detected, either automatic or by specifying IP or
> MAC address."
> In my experience, the MAC address works every time with Install
> Network Printer
> Wizard, even if the settings in the JetDirect card are way
> different than the
> network to which it is attached. Let me suggest a couple of
> possibilities:
>
> 1. The cable is defective. Does the light on the router port
> flash when the
> printer is attached via the cable?

Physical connection should be ok as I can succesfully ping and
telnet the printer.

> 2. The JetDirect card is defective. See 1.
> 3. A firewall or router setting is getting in the way of INPW.
> You can ping the
> printer and telnet it, so this implies that software is the
> villain, not the
> cable and not the JetDirect.

I turned off the firewall when I was experimenting.

> ... Ben Myers

Actuaaly I have now managed to make it work, in a way I don't fully
understand. I tried to install a "local" printer rather than network
printer and set that local printer port to TCP/IP port. It worked.

I still don't understand why it's not seen as a network printer. And
can not do the above on my other computer which runs Win98 as it
doesn't
allow my to configure TCP/IP port for a local printer.

Thanks Ben. Your futher assistance would be appreciated.

ad

Depending on the firewall, it may still get in the way even when supposedly
disabled.

Install Network Printer Wizard should do more or less the same thing as a
so-called local TCP/IP port configuration. It's just a little bit slicker and
more automated. And it's much easier than pushing buttons on a LaserJet to set
up a IP address within ones local network. When it works, that is. Odd that it
didn't work with the JetDirect's MAC address... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> Depending on the firewall, it may still get in the way even when supposedly
> disabled.
>
> Install Network Printer Wizard should do more or less the same thing as a
> so-called local TCP/IP port configuration. It's just a little bit slicker and
> more automated. And it's much easier than pushing buttons on a LaserJet to set
> up a IP address within ones local network. When it works, that is. Odd that it
> didn't work with the JetDirect's MAC address... Ben Myers

"Automatic" printer detection works with broadcasts. Maybe the printer
is on another (routed) subnet, so broadcasts won't get forwarded.

What is the IP address/subnet mask of the PCs?
What is the IP address/subnet mask of the printer?

If they are on another subnet, then the Accesspoint has a router
onboard. If they are on the same subnet, maybe the Accesspoint uses
filtering to block those broadcasts.

--
Alex.

Agreed. But specifying the MAC address directly ought to enable INPW to "see
through" any differences in subnet between printer and computer. But an access
point or router may be set up to block traffic between MACs... Ben Myers

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:34:14 +0200, Alex van Denzel <vandenzel@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Depending on the firewall, it may still get in the way even when supposedly
>> disabled.
>>
>> Install Network Printer Wizard should do more or less the same thing as a
>> so-called local TCP/IP port configuration. It's just a little bit slicker and
>> more automated. And it's much easier than pushing buttons on a LaserJet to set
>> up a IP address within ones local network. When it works, that is. Odd that it
>> didn't work with the JetDirect's MAC address... Ben Myers
>
>"Automatic" printer detection works with broadcasts. Maybe the printer
>is on another (routed) subnet, so broadcasts won't get forwarded.
>
>What is the IP address/subnet mask of the PCs?
>What is the IP address/subnet mask of the printer?
>
>If they are on another subnet, then the Accesspoint has a router
>onboard. If they are on the same subnet, maybe the Accesspoint uses
>filtering to block those broadcasts.
>
>--
>Alex.

ad

"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:52:26 +1000, ad <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>> Actuaaly I have now managed to make it work, in a way I don't
>> fully
>> understand. I tried to install a "local" printer rather than
>> network
>> printer and set that local printer port to TCP/IP port. It
>> worked.
>>
>> I still don't understand why it's not seen as a network printer.
>> And
>> can not do the above on my other computer which runs Win98 as it
>> doesn't
>> allow my to configure TCP/IP port for a local printer.
>
> What Windows calls Network printers are only printers that respond
> to Win
> file/printer sharing using netbios ports (or internet printing),
> and
> JetDirect does not do netbios (not sure about ipp). So you have
> to fake
> out Windows by configuring it as a "Local" TCP port. I believe
> either
> JetDirect or Unix-like LPR/LPD printing works with JetDirect.
>
> We had one PC at work that didn't seem to work with the HP
> software, but
> worked using the local TCP port trick. And I was able to color
> print to
> our OfficeJet G85 from WinNT by setting it up like LPR with an old
> Deskjet
> driver (crude resolution, but worked).
>
> For Win9x you can get a shareware program called tp_lpr from a
> SimTel
> mirror or web search. If you telnet to the printer, you should be
> able to
> get a list of queue names, but otherwise "raw" should work (since
> Windows
> driver will already convert output to PCL) or maybe "binps" if it
> does
> postscript.

Thanks a lot David for sharing your experience. I'll try what you
said to my
Win98 PC. What appears wierd is that the HP wizard also doesn't pick
the
printer up.

ad

Ben Myers wrote:
> [...] But specifying the MAC address directly ought to enable INPW to "see
> through" any differences in subnet between printer and computer. [...]

Only if on the same physical LAN. Not if a router is in between.

--
Alex

Agreed. Some routers, most for home/SOHO use, have 4 or 8 ports and serve a
dual role as router and hub, and maybe even WiFi access point. In my
experience, This sort of router (e.g. Linksys BEFSR41), unless specific ports
are blocked, permits INPW to see the MAC of a JetDirect unit. This was the
context of my remark... Ben Myers