Windows update crashed my PC

I clicked on the Icon for windows updates on my PC, and after the updates
were done, my PC will not boot up. I keep getting one of those blue screens
with one of those wonderful error messages. I have tried doing a system
restore, several times, but it will not even let me do that. Any ideas?
11 answers Last reply
More about windows update crashed

    needhelp wrote:

    > I clicked on the Icon for windows updates on my PC, and after the updates
    > were done, my PC will not boot up. I keep getting one of those blue screens
    > with one of those wonderful error messages. I have tried doing a system
    > restore, several times, but it will not even let me do that. Any ideas?

    Post the "wonderful error message".

    Steve

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

    How can we stop this clown?

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?bmVlZGhlbHA=?= wrote:

    > I clicked on the Icon for windows updates on my PC, and after the updates
    > were done, my PC will not boot up. I keep getting one of those blue screens
    > with one of those wonderful error messages. I have tried doing a system
    > restore, several times, but it will not even let me do that. Any ideas?

    Uninstall the updates.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Hi;

    I do not have the XP CD since it was pre-installed on my PC when I bought
    it. Is there a fix if I do not have a CD?

    needhelp wrote:
    > Hi;
    >
    > I do not have the XP CD since it was pre-installed on my PC when I bought
    > it. Is there a fix if I do not have a CD?

    Don't listen to this bonehead. You don't need to do a repair install,
    you need to figure out what update(s) caused the problem. Like I said,
    post the error message and like Plato said, uninstall the updates.

    Steve

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >

    >>How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    >>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >>--
    >>Carey Frisch
    >>Microsoft MVP
    >>Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> "needhelp" wrote:
    >>
    >>| I clicked on the Icon for windows updates on my PC, and after the updates
    >>| were done, my PC will not boot up. I keep getting one of those blue screens
    >>| with one of those wonderful error messages. I have tried doing a system
    >>| restore, several times, but it will not even let me do that. Any ideas?

    OK - here is the error I got on the blue screen:

    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    at the bottom of the screen it shows the following:

    STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000000 , 0X00000002 , 0X00000001 , 0X804F74AC)

    How do I find out which updates caused the problem? Excuse me for sounding
    ignorant. I just ever had anything like this happen before.

    needhelp wrote:

    > OK - here is the error I got on the blue screen:
    >
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >
    > at the bottom of the screen it shows the following:
    >
    > STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000000 , 0X00000002 , 0X00000001 , 0X804F74AC)
    >
    > How do I find out which updates caused the problem? Excuse me for sounding
    > ignorant. I just ever had anything like this happen before.

    That is a hardware failure or device driver issue. May have been caused
    by a flakey device driver update from MS. Can you get into Safe Mode? If
    so in Add/Remove programs start uninstalling the updates you added
    before the problem happened.

    Steve

    > "Steve N." wrote:
    >

    >>needhelp wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi;
    >>>
    >>>I do not have the XP CD since it was pre-installed on my PC when I bought
    >>>it. Is there a fix if I do not have a CD?
    >>
    >>Don't listen to this bonehead. You don't need to do a repair install,
    >>you need to figure out what update(s) caused the problem. Like I said,
    >>post the error message and like Plato said, uninstall the updates.
    >>
    >>Steve

    Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A error in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314063

    Boot into Safe Mode, then use System Restore to restore your system
    to a previous state.

    To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

    1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
    On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems,
    you can press the F8 key when you the Boot Menu appears.

    2. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears,
    and then press ENTER.

    3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in
    blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

    How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "needhelp" wrote:

    | OK - here is the error I got on the blue screen:
    |
    | IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    |
    | at the bottom of the screen it shows the following:
    |
    | STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000000 , 0X00000002 , 0X00000001 , 0X804F74AC)
    |
    | How do I find out which updates caused the problem? Excuse me for sounding
    | ignorant. I just ever had anything like this happen before.

    So; I Have tried uninstalling the windows updates - to no avail.

    I have tried system restore several more times - still no luck.

    So I guess I am back to trying this repair install?

    But my first question about that remains. I do not have the xp cd, since it
    was pre-installed on my pc. So how can I do this repair without it?

    "Steve N." wrote:

    > needhelp wrote:
    >
    > > OK - here is the error I got on the blue screen:
    > >
    > > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > >
    > > at the bottom of the screen it shows the following:
    > >
    > > STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000000 , 0X00000002 , 0X00000001 , 0X804F74AC)
    > >
    > > How do I find out which updates caused the problem? Excuse me for sounding
    > > ignorant. I just ever had anything like this happen before.
    >
    > That is a hardware failure or device driver issue. May have been caused
    > by a flakey device driver update from MS. Can you get into Safe Mode? If
    > so in Add/Remove programs start uninstalling the updates you added
    > before the problem happened.
    >
    > Steve

    > >>Don't listen to this bonehead. You don't need to do a repair install,
    > >>you need to figure out what update(s) caused the problem. Like I said,
    > >>post the error message and like Plato said, uninstall the updates.
    > >>
    > >>Steve

    Check your drive for the existence of the i386 folder. If found,
    check for either WinNT.Exe of WinNT32.Exe. These two files
    are the installation initiator modules. You can burn i386 to a
    CD-R Disk and then download/create a 6-Floppy disk set to
    boot from and start the installation/repair operation from your
    CD-R disk. If your system has had Service Packs applied then
    the i386 may be a down-level version of XP (Gold or Original).
    This whole process is sort of a make shift XP Install and is not
    really viable for inexperienced persons to use. If your data is
    not backed up, I would locate a neighborhood PC shop to do
    this (Repair Installation) work for you. Request a Image backup
    before starting to protect your personal data.

    XP Home Floppy Boot Disk setup found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8

    XP Pro Floppy Disk setup found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP