What are your thoughts on CPU shims (Athlon XP)?

Wiggum

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Hey all,

I'm about to build my first Athlon, and I'm going to use the Swiftech MCX462-V heatsink shown <A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/MCX462-V/mcx462-vx400.jpg" target="_new">here</A>.

It has awesome cooling properties (and it's quiet with a Vantec Stealth), but it is over twice the recommended weight limit of AMD (650g vs. 300g).

Someone suggested that I use a CPU shim (like this one shown <A HREF="http://www.pctoys.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=80" target="_new">here</A>), and I'm wondering if you have any experience with these devices.

I've built Pentium III's and IV's before, but this will be my first Athlon.

Any comments are appreciated - thanks in advance.

Wiggum

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
As long as you know what you are doing, I see no reason in using a shim. I have never used one and I am currently using a Thermaltake SLK-800 heatsink, which is known for how heavy it is :) In fact, I had to remove it a couple of times in order to help a friend with his system and some problems he had, and never had a problem installing it back.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I wish you good luck with O/C!

I don't think is there any problem to use this kind of heatsink... But I strongly recommend you to not move your PC a lot... The weight might damge the socket or CPU during transportation (Lan party, moving...).

You can get a MB with socket holes. If your heatsink is built to fit with these hole you will be able to strongly fix your heatsink on the MB.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
In answer to your question, no, I would not use a shim. You really don't need it.

As to
The weight might damage the socket or CPU during transportation
Okkk...raise your hand if moving (not dropping) killed your CPU. Thought so.

Oh, and a word of advice, don't drop your power supply...i just learned that the hard way. In fact, don't drop any computer parts; they don't like it too much.

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
The only time the shim would be usefull is during the installation of the HS. Afterwards it just sits there. They supposedly prevent your die from being crushed by todays HS. Id definately use a shim if your mobo will be positioned horizontally but since most are positioned vertically you normally do not have to worry about this issue unless you are planning on keeping the cpu for a very long time. Those rubber stoppers only last for so long.. Since this will be your first Athlon construction I would suggest using a non-conductive shim this time.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Id definately use a shim if your mobo will be positioned horizontally but since most are positioned vertically you normally do not have to worry about this issue unless you are planning on keeping the cpu for a very long time.

You might want to reconsider your position on that. Having your motherboard mounted vertically INCREASES the possibility of cracking the core from excess weight. Why? If the cooler was bearing down vertically on a horizontal surface, the load would be spread across the entire suface of the die. But being mounted vertically, gravity tends to tip the core downward applying and edge-loading force on the die, which is more likely to cause a crack to propogate from that edge.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Wiggum

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Thanks for the help guys.

I think I'm going to get a non-conductive shim from PC Toys. As long as there are no negatives (and I have only seen one article that suggested that an uneven shim could compromise cooling), I think it is a wise investment. Particularly since this is my first Athlon.

And considering that I never plan to overclock my proc, I don't think I need that heavy Swiftech unit either. I could go with the boxed cooler, or the Thermaltake Volcano 10+ shown <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/si/a1671.htm" target="_new">here</A>. As long as the cooler will support a 3200+ proc, and it has a good balance between noise and cooling properties, it will suffice. I don't even keep my towers in the same room as the monitor and keyboard, so noise is less important to me. But what I really like is the fact that the Volcano is within AMD's weight spec, and it is a recommended unit.

Thanks again for the help,

Wiggum

G

those new boxed coolers really arent too bad IMHO. I recently build a 2500+ for a relative of mine, and since the boxed cpu costed less than the oem (!), I bought my first boxed cpu ever. Thought I'd try the "free" HSF before shelling out money for a different one, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised how silent it was, and it did an adequate job of cooling the cpu as well. Might give it shot and save a few bucks.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

TRENDING THREADS