8400 HDD/DVDROM Configuration on PATA

Hi,

About 10 years ago it made a difference when combining a HDD and CDROM
on the same cable and making the CDROM the master, if I recall, but
was that for the Primary or Secondary? In the 8400, does it make a
difference? I don't want to lose the bootability of the DVD Drive.
Thanks for any replies.

bigsley

I can't address the 8400 directly (hopefully someone else will.) In general,
you don't want to put an ATA device (basically, a hard disk) and an ATAPI
device (which includes a CD or DVD drive) on the same data cable. Put them
on separate data cables.
--
Ted Zieglar

"bigsley" <bigsley@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> About 10 years ago it made a difference when combining a HDD and CDROM
> on the same cable and making the CDROM the master, if I recall, but
> was that for the Primary or Secondary? In the 8400, does it make a
> difference? I don't want to lose the bootability of the DVD Drive.
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> bigsley

Can't on the 8400. There is only one PATA interface and four SATA
interfaces on the motherboard. Get a controller card or, better yet, get a
USB 2 drive enclosure.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:01:17 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can't on the 8400. There is only one PATA interface and four SATA
>interfaces on the motherboard. Get a controller card or, better yet, get a
>USB 2 drive enclosure.
>
>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>I can't address the 8400 directly (hopefully someone else will.) In
>>general,
>> you don't want to put an ATA device (basically, a hard disk) and an ATAPI
>> device (which includes a CD or DVD drive) on the same data cable. Put them
>> on separate data cables.
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar

The PATA cable is connected to both the CDRW and DVDRW Drives, but
they had a strange series of cuts in the cable. Between the 1st and
2nd Connectors, the cable is cut into 10 segments that extends to
both. But they are not twisted like an FDD cable. I guess there must
be a reason for it..? Years ago I remember having a CDROM as slave
with the HDD as Master which was the boot drive. Did the technology
change? It was in the days of Win31 or WFW311 that I recall reading
about how/why not/something about attaching them on the secondary. Of
course the logical answer is to replace the ATAs' with SATAs'..thanks
for the replies.

bigsley

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:01:17 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can't on the 8400. There is only one PATA interface and four SATA
>interfaces on the motherboard. Get a controller card or, better yet, get a
>USB 2 drive enclosure.

thanks, i didnt know that technology existed. portable is a cool idea,
and will save on heat inside the box. //bigsley

I bought one at newegg for $27!

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:01:17 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Can't on the 8400. There is only one PATA interface and four SATA
>>interfaces on the motherboard. Get a controller card or, better yet, get
>>USB 2 drive enclosure.
>
> thanks, i didnt know that technology existed. portable is a cool idea,
> and will save on heat inside the box. //bigsley

Ted,

That hasn't been true for years. With current hardware, the two devices
both run at their native speeds.

Tom
>I can't address the 8400 directly (hopefully someone else will.) In
>general,
> you don't want to put an ATA device (basically, a hard disk) and an ATAPI
> device (which includes a CD or DVD drive) on the same data cable. Put them
> on separate data cables.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "bigsley" <bigsley@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> About 10 years ago it made a difference when combining a HDD and CDROM
>> on the same cable and making the CDROM the master, if I recall, but
>> was that for the Primary or Secondary? In the 8400, does it make a
>> difference? I don't want to lose the bootability of the DVD Drive.
>> Thanks for any replies.
>>
>> bigsley

Thanks for the update. I hope the OP caught your post. In a nutshell, what
changed that made it possible?
--
Ted Zieglar

> Ted,
>
> That hasn't been true for years. With current hardware, the two devices
> both run at their native speeds.
>
> Tom
> >I can't address the 8400 directly (hopefully someone else will.) In
> >general,
> > you don't want to put an ATA device (basically, a hard disk) and an
ATAPI
> > device (which includes a CD or DVD drive) on the same data cable. Put
them
> > on separate data cables.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "bigsley" <bigsley@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> About 10 years ago it made a difference when combining a HDD and CDROM
> >> on the same cable and making the CDROM the master, if I recall, but
> >> was that for the Primary or Secondary? In the 8400, does it make a
> >> difference? I don't want to lose the bootability of the DVD Drive.
> >> Thanks for any replies.
> >>
> >> bigsley

Thanks for your replies. Are you saying then that I would not have a
problem combinining them, temporarily? Until I can pick up one of
those enclosures spoken of which would be a more permanent solution.

bigsley

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:17:04 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the update. I hope the OP caught your post. In a nutshell, what
>changed that made it possible?

It would work fine, even permanently.

The change was that the master/slave have independent 'connections' of a
sort, so they can run at native speeds.

Technology available on mainframes since the late 60s.

Tom
> Thanks for your replies. Are you saying then that I would not have a
> problem combinining them, temporarily? Until I can pick up one of
> those enclosures spoken of which would be a more permanent solution.
>
> bigsley
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:17:04 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the update. I hope the OP caught your post. In a nutshell, what
>>changed that made it possible?

Thanks Tom, I'll give it a try then. Until my enclosure arrives, as I
prefer running dual DVD Drives. In time, a couple of big SATA's would
be a nice addition, as I use lots of space capturing and editing
video. I am thinking RAID 1 on HDD 0 and 1, using the 74Gig Raptors,
and 2 big SATA's on 2 & 3. I think that would work nicely.

bigsley