Sign in with
Your question

Celeron PPGA upgrade options?

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2003 1:58:07 PM

I'm trying to help my folks with their PC, an eMachines w/a 533 Celeron, by upgrading the OS to either 2000 or XP. I've already installed extra RAM to give it 196mb (shared w/video). Any idea of what my CPU upgrade options are for this particular CPU (and whatever "PPGA" means)? Would an upgrade to whatever the maximum speed CPU is really be worth the $$$, time and effort? Any other suggestions for this old beast which they refuse to replace?
October 21, 2003 7:46:26 PM

Im pretty sure that board will support a coppermine CPU, so Im guessing it might even work with the tualitin, giving you the possibility to upgrade to a celeron 1.4Ghz (possible a P3 1.4). To be really sure I would reccomend you wait for Crashman to reply, as he really knows his stuff when it comes to p3's.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2003 10:28:25 PM

Very few boards supported the Mendicino core Celeron without supporting the Coppermine, I doubt yours has that uncommon problem. So I'm going to recommend a Coppermine Celeron.

Your board should support at least 100MHz bus, and perhaps as much as 133MHz bus. The later Celerons use 100MHz bus, a Celeron 800, 850, 900, or 950 should work fine.

There were 1GHz and 1.1GHz Coppermine core Celerons, but these speeds were also common to the later Tualatin core Celerons, so you'd have to know what you're doing when making a purchase at these speeds.

For example, all FC-PGA Celerons should work (since they all used Coppermine cores), but a few FC-PGA2 CPU's also used Coppermine cores. This becomes confusing because people assume all FC-PGA2 processors are Tualatins, and a Tualatin won't directly work on your board.

A good way to tell the Coppermine Celerons (which should be compatable) from the Tualatin Celerons (which aren't directly compatable) is the amount of cache, which is often found in a processor description. Any Celeron with 128k cache should work in your board, but not the 256k versions.

So there you have it, just find the fastest Celeron with 128k cache you can afford and put it in.

One last note: Those 256k Celerons (Tualatin core) which I said don't directly work, might work with an adapter. But these adapters aren't supported by some boards, so you might as well go with my 128k Celeron recommendation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 22, 2003 5:48:29 PM

Crashman is 'the man' when it comes to this kind of stuff, heed what he says.

I have had some experience with the dreaded eMachines, as I own a 566MHz machine, that Crashman helped me overclock to 850MHz.

There are a few different 533 eMachines, using two different motherboards. The Florida TG-TGA and the Anaheim2.

Anyways, the best site for information on eMachines and upgrades is www.e4all.info, it has a great section where people have reported their successes/failures with various upgrades.

There is a report of someone getting a 1.1Ghz celeron to work on the Anaheim2 board with a Lin-Lin adapter, no reports of any success on the Florida board.

There are also a couple of good yahoo groups for eMachines. emachineupgraders and emachineoverclockers if I recall.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spitoon on 10/22/03 01:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2003 11:13:32 PM

Well, I can confirm the Florida board works with Coppermines, and you've just confirmed the Anaheim works with the adapter, which means it supports Coppermines without need of an adapter. Therefor both boards should support any 128k Celeron with no need of an adapter.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 29, 2003 3:37:47 PM

those cpu's are pretty cheap -- most at/under $50. so cost aside, would there be much of a noticable performance gain in general apps, win xp, & innerweb surfing with say a 1GHz 128MHz FSB Celery over their current 533? it sorta seems like the 128MHZ fsb kinda cuts performance off at the knees?
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2003 8:33:45 PM

The FSB is 100MHz, not 128MHz. The PIII was available at 100 or 133, the Celeron at 66 or 100. The amount of cach is 128kb, the Coppermine PIII had 256kb.

You'd see some gains in performance for XP. You need a minimum of 256MB RAM to get XP to run at barely acceptable speed. 128MB works, but makes the system feel like an old 386 running Windows 95.

November 17, 2003 8:53:04 PM

Crashman,
Okay, forgive my ignorance for not understanding. Just to clarify, you say that I don't need a Lin-Lin adapter (whatever that is) to make a 1.1GHz 128K/Coppermine chip work on an Anaheim 2a mobo? All I have to do is take out the old and plug in the new?
November 17, 2003 9:01:16 PM

okay, i know this is the CPU forum, but your remark about 256MB min for XP makes me want to ask you this: since this i my parents pc 533MHz, max RAM of 256 (poss upgrade to that Celeron 1.1GHz), what OS would you recommend? They aren't huge users except for surfing/email & stuff. I need ease of use, low maintenance, stability and decent (not painful) performance. I appreciate your opinion.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2003 9:09:26 PM

I confirmed Coppermines work with Florida boards, Spitoon confirmed they work with Anaheims. Given this information you should be able to install that processor on your board.

I don't know this "Lin-Lin" adapter you speak of, but if someone else mentioned it, they might have been speaking of a generic Tualatin adapter (which you don't need for a Coppermine CPU).

November 18, 2003 2:42:55 AM

The Lin-Lin adapter is a cheapo processor adapter...I use one to get a Tualatin to work in my ASUS CUSL2-C board that according to spec doesn't support the Tualatin chips. It also has some other settings, via jumpers, to make FC-PGA2 chips work on PPGA boards etc..

Another brand is Powerleap.
November 18, 2003 2:49:24 AM

Oh, and regarding your memory issue, don't believe the spec sheets on the Anaheim2A, they claim a 256MB max, but it can support up to 512MB. You just have to be sure that you get the right kind of memory...it requires the older 'low density' chips, and can't recognize (or only sees 1/2) of the newer high density chips. Look for 256MB sticks with memory chips down both sides of the stick (16 chips X 16MB each), as opposed to the newer stuff with the chips only on one side (8 chips X 32MB each). They are becoming increasingly more difficult to find.

My 566MHz eMachine (overclocked to 850MHz thanks to Crashman), runs XP Pro quite nicely with 512MB of memory.
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2003 6:38:59 AM

I suggetst Windows 98SE. It seems to work perfectly on nearly any stable system. It got some bad press for being "unstable" on junk hardware...but that's simply because it's easier for a hardware error to crash it.

!