Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Choice of 2 19" LED monitors

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 7, 2010 9:25:48 PM

Looking at two 19" LED backlit monitors. Any opinions appreciated. The Asus is slightly less expensive ($125) then the Viewsonic ($135 - had to purchase the DVI cable seperately). Both have resolutions of 1440 x 900, 16:10 ratio.
  • ASUS VH198T 19-Inch Widescreen LED Monitor
  • ViewSonic VX1932wm-LED 19-Inch WLED-Backlit Energy Efficient LCD Monitor

No gaming, light video editing, photo restoration and general use.
  • More about : choice led monitors

a b C Monitor
    October 8, 2010 2:48:55 PM

Have you thought of getting a bigger display? Like the 20" Asus which is the same price but not LED.

LED isn't a new tech and doesn't even improve image quality. Though if you have to get one. The Asus is better than the ViewSonic.
    m
    l
    a c 195 C Monitor
    October 8, 2010 3:03:32 PM

Is this for professional photo restoration, or is just something you are doing for yourself?

Those monitor uses TN panels, and while they are inexpensive, they are not very color accurate. Although thier color accuracy now is better than was it was before a few years ago.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    October 8, 2010 6:40:56 PM

jaguarskx said:
    Is this for professional photo restoration, or is just something you are doing for yourself?

Those monitor uses TN panels, and while they are inexpensive, they are not very color accurate. Although thier color accuracy now is better than was it was before a few years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Mostly my own photos. I've done it professionally in the past but that was using a CRT.
    m
    l
    October 8, 2010 6:45:02 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
    Have you thought of getting a bigger display? Like the 20" Asus which is the same price but not LED.

LED isn't a new tech and doesn't even improve image quality. Though if you have to get one. The Asus is better than the ViewSonic.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the 20" though I have limited desk space. Also, the Asus 19" is in 16:10 format, (1440x900) which I think I would prefer to 16:9 (1600x900). I would prefer a 4:3 format but they all seem to be much more expensive. I'm using a 7 year old Samsung SyncMaster 710V 4:3 format(1280x1024) now that has served admirably but just feeling the need to upgrade. Unfortunately, budget does not allow upgrade to a non-TN monitor. I remember in the past that ViewSonic had a good reputation for their monitors. I know that Asus is a newer player in the monitor arena but have heard good things about them.
    m
    l

Best solution

a c 195 C Monitor
    October 8, 2010 7:24:36 PM

Viewsonic kinda lost it's edge over the years. They released a lot of monitors, but nothing really set them apart from the competition.

On paper, both Asus and Viewsonic looks similar. So it's a toss up. The Viewsonic looks more attractive, but that's just an opinion.
    October 8, 2010 9:07:52 PM

Looking at some of the reviews for either monitor it doesn't look like I would make a substantial improvement, if any, from my current Samsung SyncMaster 710/v and I really like the 4:3 ratio. I'd probably be throwing $120 + at something that, other then being new, wouldn't gain me much. Guess I'll just wait until the budget says I can go to a 19" or 20" in that format.

Appreciate the replies and information.
    m
    l
    October 10, 2010 5:01:05 PM

Best answer selected by highcountryrider.
    m
    l
    !