muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
What is a good temp for a cpu to operate at with a copper heatsink and 80mm fan. i know lower is better but what is a good temp for the cpu to operate safely for extended periods of time.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
If you have a good copper heatsink and don't OC, heat won't be a problem. I think that below 60C is safe but you should know that the cooler a CPU (to a dagree) the faster it will run, and I'm not talking about overclocking, so try to keep it below 50.
Modern CPUs have a feature that slows them down (by underclocking or other means) whenever the temperture exceeds a threshold, and that hurts performance badly.

My anger and my wrath will be poured on this place on man and beast on the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground it will burn and not be quenched Jeremiah 7:20
I am ALPHA and OMEGA, burn!

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
i have an athlonxp barton 2500+ that is overclocked to 3200+ 2.2 ghz. it runs at around 42C idle and gets up to 47-49C if the cpu is under heavy use. i have no reason to overcloak right now, just doing it for the hell of it. so i was wondering if these temps are going to seriously hurt the life of the cpu. thanks for the reply.

G

Your temps are excellent, better than most stock systems, so don't sweat it. Though there is still no guarantee other factors like electromigration will not still ruin your cpu over time. Not saying its likely or anything, but its definately possible.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =