Sign in with
Your question

Gaming laptop?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 30, 2010 10:41:03 PM

First of all I I'd understand that the term 'gaming laptop' is often met with laughter and ridicule, but I'd appreciate constructive posts only please. Thank you. That being said:

1_What is your budget?

about $1200 USD, though perhaps a bit more

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

16+in screen size, ideally less than 10lbs

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1366 x 768 would probably do, but more is always better

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?

not a lot, I can plug it in if I need to

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, and I'd like it to be able to handle the majority of current games and those to be released soon at least on low settings with no slowdown.

For example:

Mass Effect 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Supreme Commander 2

Assassin's Creed 2

etc...etc....

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

some light photo/video editing

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

320gb+ should be fine

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

as long as possible =P

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I'd like to be able to burn cds and (maybe) dvds

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I'm pretty open, I'll leave that decision to you guys

13_What country do you live in?

United States

Thanks again, and sorry for the premature post. I swear that's never happened to me before.

More about : gaming laptop

March 31, 2010 1:07:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks again, and sorry for the premature post. I swear that's never happened to me before

made me lol.

i think that an alienware M11x is a great choice, provided you liek the smaller size and can live without an internal disk drive (though your budget would allow for the purchase of an external)

i really dislike Alienware for their pricing, but the m11x really seems like one of the best value systems on the market atm.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.asp...

of course, its not ultra powerful but for its size it copes with gaming very well (maxing out ME2 and Mw2).

Quote:
The M11x met, and in most cases surpassed, our expectations with just about every game we tested. We were most surprised by the M11x's ability to run Mass Effect 2 with every visual effect turned on and resolution set to maximum (1366 x 768). Not only did Mass Effect 2 run at maxed out specs, but it consistently ran above the industry standard of 30 frames-per-second. The average framerate for Mass Effect 2 at max specs on our M11x was around 45 frames-per-second, although at times it reached up to 50 or 60 frames per second.

i don't follow the laptops too much, but his is the one on my radar atm, if you are after more power or a bigger system, i'm sure there will be plenty of other recommendations.
!