athlon XP , Asus mobo, please help me please

milkguy25

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
Im trying to build a system with a Asus a7n8x-vm mobo and an Athlon XP 2500 cpu. After making all the right connections(im pretty sure) I power on and everything starts fine for about 5 or 6 seconds then shuts down. I get no display or beeps, i am very frustrated and i would greatly appreciate anyone who would take the time to give me suggestions on what to do. ive built a system before with no problems, but i dont know whats goin on wwith this one. Any suggestions?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Plug your speakers into the audio out port. (Center) A condescending voice will tell you where you screwed up. My bet is the memory test. I found that using banks memory slots 2 and 3 are much more stable. Make sure you also have a fan plugged into the CPU fan header.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Once you get into bios. I’ve found that setting your memory frequency (Advanced Chipset Features/Memory Frequency) to 100% instead of by SPD will make the board much more stable. The board tries to run the memory at the fastest possible. If you have say PC3500 memory, the chipset tries to run at 218 MHz but it can’t, so it fails even though the memory can.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

G

I had a problem with that board as well; it would be unstable as hell. The reason ? no BIOS options to allow manual configuration of memory timings, it just read the SPD of the 400 Mhz DDR modules. thing is, the manual states DDR400 is *not* supported unless you use an AGP card for some odd reason. Weird huh ? Swapped the 400 MHz modules for a pair of 333 MHz one's, and it went smooth as butter. Shame on Asus for that one.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =