Can't log off/shutdown/restart as normal

Hi all,

I always met the problems when I wanted to log off/shutdown/restart Windows
XP Professional. When I click log off/shutdown/restart button, nothing
happened. What I can do is just press the power button 5 sec to shutdown. But
that problem didn't happen every time. Any idea? I met this error in a lot of
computers. I think it's not a hardware problem.
--
Work Harding
--

I forgot one important thing. All the computers I met problems had installed
Symantec antiVirus 9. I found there was some link about Norton antivirus 2003