Thermal Transfer Compounds

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
I was under the impression that silver-based thermal compounds were considered the best. I just got a CPU and a paper came with it that says that AMD does not support silver compounds. Instead they recommend non-metallic compound, as it will void the CPU warranty if you use a metallic compound.

I'd like some perspectives on this, as well as a suggestion as to exactly what "non-metallic" compound would be a good candidate. Of course I read all this after removing the (non-metallic) compound that came with my Speeze fan. :)

Thanks for any info on this.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's just cos AMD don't use a IHS (integrated Heat Spreader) on their chips (well, up to the Barton cores anyway) so it's possible to get the stuff all over the bridges and short them out (which shouldn't actually cause lasting damage, but could be a pain to clean).

I always buy OEM cpus anyway, so I don't really have a warannty to worry about myself. I've used the same tube of ASIII for 4 or 5 CPU installs now.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
ASIII isn't conductive, so getting it on the bridges isn't fatal; however, that won't happen if you apply it properly (use a finger-inside-a-plastic-bag and gently rub a small quantity onto the die).

ASIII does have capacitative qualities though, so it isn't 100% safe.

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.