Status
Not open for further replies.

nibuoy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I will be going to high school in september and am looking for a new laptop.

1_What is your budget?

1000-2000 USD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

13-17

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1600 x 900 and up

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Both. It will be a desktop replacement, but needs to be portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?

at least 4 hours. More is preferable.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

some games (civilization,etc) on medium-high

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

photo/video editing, watching movies, school work, minor gaming

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

at least 120 gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

amazon or the stores for specific companies

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

dvd rom/writer. Bluray would be a plus

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

sony, dell, apple

13_What country do you live in?

The US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I know that the sony z is much more expensive, but does its portability make up for it?
How much better is the performance of the sony f?
How much are both upgradable?
Are there any problems with either? (heat issues, etc)

Thanks in advance

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
The Sony F does have better multimedia hardware (speakers, ...etc.), and just one graphics card.

The Sony VAIO Z, however, has switchable graphics for when you need long battery life, and an Nvidia Geforce 330m, which should suffice for Crysis at high settings, let alone Civilization (I adore that game :D)

Both have blu-ray options, as Sony CREATED Blu-ray.

The Sony F's screen provides more real estate for photo editing and video editing, but remember that an external monitor can always be an option. I am assuming your existing monitor isn't 13 inches, and is 17 inches or above. If it is 17 inches or above, and supports full HD, then:

GO WITH THE VAIO Z.

If you don't want to bother with all that, the VAIO F is a good option as well. Just the battery life is very...humble for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.