what is the minimum partition size for optimal performance?

Recently, I found a Computer supplier selling a brand new Pentium IV PC with
512 MB RAM and just a combo CD/?DVD/Writer drive, partitioning the 80 GB HD
into four partitions: 1) to keep the OS XP on one partition, 2) separating
the customer's children's games on a second partition 3) a third for video
capture, and 4) the fourth for all other applications. In the process, each
partition is only of 20 GB.
Is this an optimal way of using an 80 GB drive?

P. Jayant

20 GB for Windows XP could be enough (XP needs 1,5 GB approximately for a standard installation). However, partitioning an 80 GB hard disk into four partitions is excessive, in my opinion; but all depends on the customer needs, of course.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"P.Jayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> wrote in message news:%23magihorFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Recently, I found a Computer supplier selling a brand new Pentium IV PC with
> 512 MB RAM and just a combo CD/?DVD/Writer drive, partitioning the 80 GB HD
> into four partitions: 1) to keep the OS XP on one partition, 2) separating
> the customer's children's games on a second partition 3) a third for video
> capture, and 4) the fourth for all other applications. In the process, each
> partition is only of 20 GB.
> Is this an optimal way of using an 80 GB drive?
>
> P. Jayant

Performance-wise, the applications and OS should be in the same volume on a
single hard drive to minimize head movement. I would reallocate with the OS
and applications on one partition, and data storage on a second one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone