"Open With" no longer works......

Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using Windows XP
Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have not
made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX, but I
think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening. I
navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I then
click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a box
of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am unsure
what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find them.
Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
6 answers Last reply
More about open with longer works

    Update on my problem.

    I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in this
    case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that says
    "Open With" and that is all.

    "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
    > context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using Windows
    XP
    > Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have not
    > made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX, but
    > think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening. I
    > navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I then
    > click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a
    box
    > of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
    > mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
    > wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am
    unsure
    > what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find them.
    > Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Rob

    Robert,

    Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Update on my problem.
    >
    > I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in this
    > case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that says
    > "Open With" and that is all.
    >

    > "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
    >> context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using Windows
    > XP
    >> Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have
    >> not
    >> made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX, but
    >> think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening. I
    >> navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I then
    >> click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a
    > box
    >> of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
    >> mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
    >> wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am
    > unsure
    >> what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find
    >> them.
    >> Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Rob

    Thanks for the help Ramesh. It appears that the context menu handler for
    PicaView by ACDSee was the culprit. I did have some sort of error while
    using PicaView back about the same time that I noticed the "Open With"
    issue. I tried to preview an image file with PicaView and locked the system
    up, which is strange because I have been using PicaView for a few years
    without any problems. I was going nuts trying to figure this out. I had
    narrowed it down to the context menu handlers, but I was unsure and leery of
    tinkering with the registry. Thanks again.

    Rob

    > Robert,
    >
    > Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Update on my problem.
    > >
    > > I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in this
    > > case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that says
    > > "Open With" and that is all.
    > >

    > > "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >> Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
    > >> context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using
    Windows
    > > XP
    > >> Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have
    > >> not
    > >> made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX,
    but
    > >> think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening.
    > >> navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I
    then
    > >> click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a
    > > box
    > >> of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
    > >> mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
    > >> wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am
    > > unsure
    > >> what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find
    > >> them.
    > >> Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Rob

    You're welcome Rob.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Thanks for the help Ramesh. It appears that the context menu handler for
    > PicaView by ACDSee was the culprit. I did have some sort of error while
    > using PicaView back about the same time that I noticed the "Open With"
    > issue. I tried to preview an image file with PicaView and locked the
    > system
    > up, which is strange because I have been using PicaView for a few years
    > without any problems. I was going nuts trying to figure this out. I had
    > narrowed it down to the context menu handlers, but I was unsure and leery
    > of
    > tinkering with the registry. Thanks again.
    >
    > Rob
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Robert,
    >>
    >> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> > Update on my problem.
    >> >
    >> > I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in
    >> > this
    >> > case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that
    >> > says
    >> > "Open With" and that is all.
    >> >

    >> > "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Windows
    >> > XP
    > but
    > then
    >> > box
    >> > unsure

    To the original poster: I use PicaView on a daily basis, and have never had a problem. I
    find it extremely useful, especially in dialog boxes, like when I want to attach an image
    file to an email. I can right click the file name, see the PicaView image and know that I
    am attaching the correct file. Also, with PicaView, I do not have to waste drive space,
    or processor time, loading thumbnails, because I do not have to use Thumbnail view (or
    open an application) and can still quickly see a thumbnail of an image file. Since you
    say that you had been using PicaView for years without a problem, perhaps something
    corrupted it. Have you tried uninstalling it from Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs,
    rebooting, and then reinstalling it to see if the problem would still exist? I sure would
    miss PicaView if I had to do without it.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    > You're welcome Rob.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the help Ramesh. It appears that the context menu handler for
    > > PicaView by ACDSee was the culprit. I did have some sort of error while
    > > using PicaView back about the same time that I noticed the "Open With"
    > > issue. I tried to preview an image file with PicaView and locked the
    > > system
    > > up, which is strange because I have been using PicaView for a few years
    > > without any problems. I was going nuts trying to figure this out. I had
    > > narrowed it down to the context menu handlers, but I was unsure and leery
    > > of
    > > tinkering with the registry. Thanks again.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Robert,
    > >>
    > >> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

    > > Windows
    > > but
    > > then

    Thank you for the reply. I reinstalled last night and everything is working
    fine. I guess that it had become corrupt, as you suggested.

    Rob

Windows Explorer Windows XP