"Open With" no longer works......

Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using Windows XP
Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have not
made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX, but I
think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening. I
navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I then
click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a box
of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am unsure
what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find them.
Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Update on my problem.

I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in this
case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that says
"Open With" and that is all.

"Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
> context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using Windows
XP
> Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have not
> made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX, but
> think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening. I
> navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I then
> click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a
box
> of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
> mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
> wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am
unsure
> what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find them.
> Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rob

Robert,

Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Update on my problem.
>
> I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in this
> case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that says
> "Open With" and that is all.
>

> "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
>> context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using Windows
> XP
>> Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have
>> not
>> made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX, but
>> think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening. I
>> navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I then
>> click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a
> box
>> of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
>> mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
>> wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am
> unsure
>> what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find
>> them.
>> Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Rob

Thanks for the help Ramesh. It appears that the context menu handler for
PicaView by ACDSee was the culprit. I did have some sort of error while
using PicaView back about the same time that I noticed the "Open With"
issue. I tried to preview an image file with PicaView and locked the system
up, which is strange because I have been using PicaView for a few years
without any problems. I was going nuts trying to figure this out. I had
narrowed it down to the context menu handlers, but I was unsure and leery of
tinkering with the registry. Thanks again.

Rob

> Robert,
>
> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Update on my problem.
> >
> > I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in this
> > case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that says
> > "Open With" and that is all.
> >

> > "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> Recently I have noticed that the "Open With" option on the right-click
> >> context menu in Windows Explorer no longer functions. I am using
Windows
> > XP
> >> Pro and I have used the "Open With" option on a regular basis. I have
> >> not
> >> made any major changes to the system. I did install AutoCAD 2005 DX,
but
> >> think that this started before the install. Here's what is happening.
> >> navigate to a file and right-click to bring up the context menu. I
then
> >> click on the "Open With" option. That is the end of it. I never get a
> > box
> >> of programs or a browse option or anything else for that matter. As I
> >> mentioned, I have been using this option successfully for years. I was
> >> wondering if something in the registry may have become corrupt. I am
> > unsure
> >> what registry entries to check, or what they should be if I can find
> >> them.
> >> Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Rob

You're welcome Rob.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Thanks for the help Ramesh. It appears that the context menu handler for
> PicaView by ACDSee was the culprit. I did have some sort of error while
> using PicaView back about the same time that I noticed the "Open With"
> issue. I tried to preview an image file with PicaView and locked the
> system
> up, which is strange because I have been using PicaView for a few years
> without any problems. I was going nuts trying to figure this out. I had
> narrowed it down to the context menu handlers, but I was unsure and leery
> of
> tinkering with the registry. Thanks again.
>
> Rob
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Robert,
>>
>> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > Update on my problem.
>> >
>> > I just noticed that whenever I right-click on a known file type, in
>> > this
>> > case a JPG, I still get the "Open With" option with a sub menu that
>> > says
>> > "Open With" and that is all.
>> >

>> > "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Windows
>> > XP
> but
> then
>> > box
>> > unsure

To the original poster: I use PicaView on a daily basis, and have never had a problem. I
find it extremely useful, especially in dialog boxes, like when I want to attach an image
file to an email. I can right click the file name, see the PicaView image and know that I
am attaching the correct file. Also, with PicaView, I do not have to waste drive space,
or processor time, loading thumbnails, because I do not have to use Thumbnail view (or
open an application) and can still quickly see a thumbnail of an image file. Since you
say that you had been using PicaView for years without a problem, perhaps something
corrupted it. Have you tried uninstalling it from Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs,
rebooting, and then reinstalling it to see if the problem would still exist? I sure would
miss PicaView if I had to do without it.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

> You're welcome Rob.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the help Ramesh. It appears that the context menu handler for
> > PicaView by ACDSee was the culprit. I did have some sort of error while
> > using PicaView back about the same time that I noticed the "Open With"
> > issue. I tried to preview an image file with PicaView and locked the
> > system
> > up, which is strange because I have been using PicaView for a few years
> > without any problems. I was going nuts trying to figure this out. I had
> > narrowed it down to the context menu handlers, but I was unsure and leery
> > of
> > tinkering with the registry. Thanks again.
> >
> > Rob
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Robert,
> >>
> >> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu:
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Robert Stewart" <Canonman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

> > Windows
> > but
> > then

Thank you for the reply. I reinstalled last night and everything is working
fine. I guess that it had become corrupt, as you suggested.

Rob