Run MSCONFIG a limited user?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in
Google. I'm able to run MSCONFIG just fine as administrator, but I
can't run it as limited user. The message is "An access denied error
was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to
log on using an administrator account".

But I'm pretty sure I've previously run MSCONFIG as limited user. Is
my memory wrong, or is something wrong? I've run a full virus scan
and I'm clean; I've looked at services.msc and nothing looks
suspicious; also as I say I have no problem running MSCONFIG from an
admin account.

What do I need to do to run MSCONFIG from a limited account, or is my
memory false and in fact I've never been able to do that?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
More about msconfig limited user

    To my knowledge, only Administrators can run MSCONFIG in an NTFS based system. FAT32 negates a lot of the built-in security of Windows XP, so you may have seen it in this type of environment.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d8033ddb639cc589896ae@news.individual.net...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in
    > Google. I'm able to run MSCONFIG just fine as administrator, but I
    > can't run it as limited user. The message is "An access denied error
    > was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to
    > log on using an administrator account".
    >
    > But I'm pretty sure I've previously run MSCONFIG as limited user. Is
    > my memory wrong, or is something wrong? I've run a full virus scan
    > and I'm clean; I've looked at services.msc and nothing looks
    > suspicious; also as I say I have no problem running MSCONFIG from an
    > admin account.
    >
    > What do I need to do to run MSCONFIG from a limited account, or is my
    > memory false and in fact I've never been able to do that?

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    > been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/

    In article <MPG.1d8033ddb639cc589896ae@news.individual.net>, Stan
    Brown favored us with...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in
    > Google.
    >
    > What do I need to do to run MSCONFIG from a limited account, or is my
    > memory false and in fact I've never been able to do that?

    D'oh! I'm sure I've run MSCONFIG as a limited user before, but I
    must be wrong.

    I kept looking, with different search terms, and I found the answer
    to my question. "You must be logged on as an administrator or as a
    member of the Administrators group to use the System Configuration
    utility [MSCONFIG]."

    That's from the page "How to troubleshoot by using the System
    Configuration utility in Windows XP" at
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560>.

    My apologies for the waste of bandwidth.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "Really, Dr. Fara, such folly smacks of genius. A lesser mind
    would be incapable of it." --Isaac Asimov, /Foundation/

    In article <e9fGY8prFHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Doug Knox MS-MVP
    favored us with...
    > To my knowledge, only Administrators can run MSCONFIG in an NTFS based system. FAT32 negates a lot of the built-in security of Windows XP, so you may have seen it in this type of environment.

    Thanks for the reply, Doug. I'm running on FAT32, all right, but in a
    further search with different search terms I eventually turned up a
    flat MS pronouncement that only administrators can run MSCONFIG. I've
    just now posted the full reference.

    I hardly ever log onto my machine as administrator, and I'm so sure
    that I've frequently run MSCONFIG. To be so sure and so wrong ...

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Thanks for the follow-up, Stan. And its not a waste of bandwidth. If anyone learns from it, its worth it.

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d803813a42b26189896b0@news.individual.net...
    > In article <e9fGY8prFHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Doug Knox MS-MVP
    > favored us with...
    >> To my knowledge, only Administrators can run MSCONFIG in an NTFS based system. FAT32 negates a lot of the built-in security of Windows XP, so you may have seen it in this type of environment.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, Doug. I'm running on FAT32, all right, but in a
    > further search with different search terms I eventually turned up a
    > flat MS pronouncement that only administrators can run MSCONFIG. I've
    > just now posted the full reference.
    >
    > I hardly ever log onto my machine as administrator, and I'm so sure
    > that I've frequently run MSCONFIG. To be so sure and so wrong ...

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    > been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/

Microsoft Msconfig Windows XP