Opteron vs. Athlon64 FX

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
How does the Opteron compare with the Athlon64 FX in terms of gaming performance? The Opteron 2.0Ghz is comparable in price to the Athlon64 FX, which is 1.6Ghz, and the Opteron 1.8Ghz is significantly cheaper. I also use PCI-X slots. I'm thinking of getting one of the Tyan dual-Opteron motherboards with AGP and PCI-X and just getting one Opteron CPU (which I know I can do). However, I would like to hear some people's thoughts as to how the Opteron compares with the Athlon64 FX.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The FX-51 IS an Opteron, at 2GHz clock speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
At 2.2 GHz, not 2 GHz

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thanks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
Nevermind, I see now that pricewatch listed the Athlon64 3200+ even though I clicked on the FX.

Would I be able to put an Athlon64 FX CPU in an Opteron motherboard then?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Also note that Athlon 64 FX requires registered memory modules.

<b><font color=blue>Oh, I can shed light on that ...</font color=blue></b>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Well...

The two are (AFAIK) based on the same core and fit in the same socket (Socket940). Both require registered memory.

I <i>don't</i> know if the Athlon64 FX will actually run in a multiprocessor config though. Also, I don't think Opteron does any memory speed higher than DDR333--and thus, I don't know if any dually Opteron motherboards will handle DDR400.

Just pointing that out, in case you were thinking of trying to build a dually with Athlon64 FX's. :wink:

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

G

more precisely: athlon FX 51 == Opteron 148 (both 2.2 GHz)
Opteron 148 isnt out though.
Also keep in mind you need an Opteron 2xx for SMP (8xx for >2 way). The FX and 1xx are strictly uniprocessor cpu's.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =