Help Wanted - Problem with Bally Embryon

I am having problem with my Bally Embryon. It appears that I have a short.
When I am playing the machine, it starts scoring spontaneously. This does
not usually start when the machine is first turned on (it usually starts
after 5 or 10 minutes). When I run the diagnostics, they indicate one of
the stationary target switches is engaged (#31 in the Embryon manual). When
I examine the switch, it does not appear to be closed.

Anyones thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

The switch could have a short, wires to the switch could have a short. If
there is a capacitor on that switch, it could have a short. Disconnect the
wires first and try it, if short persists, follow the wires, if not, go over
the switch, something is fouling the points, may even be the spacers. LTG :)

"TroySparty" <nadaspam@yahoo.comnadaspam> wrote in message
> I am having problem with my Bally Embryon. It appears that I have a
short.
> When I am playing the machine, it starts scoring spontaneously. This does
> not usually start when the machine is first turned on (it usually starts
> after 5 or 10 minutes). When I run the diagnostics, they indicate one of
> the stationary target switches is engaged (#31 in the Embryon manual).
When
> I examine the switch, it does not appear to be closed.
>
> Anyones thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

in addition to what Lloyd suggests, look at the target itself in the
PF, it may be getting stuck on a plastic above or jammed by the slot in
the PF below, or the blades on the switch over the years may not be
straight and are touching.

If the switch has a small disc capacitor across it's leads, clip one leg of
the capacitor to take it out of circuit. See if the problem persists. If
not, then the cap is bad. This is very common in these old games- these
caps will dry up and go bad over the years and need to be replaced
frequently after old age has set in.

We have replacements if you need new one(s) for your game- see our website
at: www.actionpinball.com.

These caps are used on switches that may commonly take quick/brief hits from
the ball- fast/brief switch closures that the computer might miss. The cap
is used to prolong the signal to the computer when the switch is hit- so the
computer doesn't miss it. These are used on standup and rollover switches,
pop bumper switches, and tilt mechanism switches throughout the game.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:40:26 GMT, TroySparty <nadaspam@yahoo.comnadaspam> wrote:
> I am having problem with my Bally Embryon. It appears that I have a short.
> When I am playing the machine, it starts scoring spontaneously.

If there is a capacitor on switch #31, clip one leg of of it and see if your
problem gets better. If it does, replace the capacitor.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| OS/2...Opens up Windows, shuts up Gates. |

Thanks for the help everyone. The capacitor was the problem.

Greg