Tech: STTNG sound board causing garbled video

I'm trying to resurrect a STTNG machine from the dead and have a
problem whose solution hasn't been revealed by google searches.

The video works fine if and only if the 34-pin ribbon cable is
disconnected from the sound board. When this cable is connected the
video is completely garbled. Voltages measured at the DMD are correct
when in this garbled state.

To top things off the test report shows a "sound board interface
error" whether the 34-pin cable is connected to the sound board or
not.

On power up a single bong sounds whether or not the 34-pin cable is
connected. I've reseated all connectors and ROMs, and verified that
the connectors are on correctly and all pins are present and inserted.
All connector solder joints were examined under a lighted magnifier
and look fine. The ribbon cable is a new one from GPE.

Rom socket U9 is empty, which I think is correct for this machine, and
all ROMs are inserted correctly.

Any ideas appreciated.

Adi

Not really much to add, just rehashing what you did with a twist. Take the
sound board out, examine carefully again the solder side of it and the male
connector (the ribbon cable connector) for cracked joints and/or verify for
continuity.

There should be 8 sound chips for this game, maybe they are in the wrong
spots. Reburn the ROMs and get them in the correct position.

Examine the ROM sockets

Swap the sound board with another one (doesn't mater what game's chips are
in it, STTNG will play Shadow or whatever sound board fine).

Once we are positive it's the original sound board, then it's gotta be
triangle of sound chips, traces breakage or ribbon cable. Please post back
your findings. Best of luck.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:12:11 GMT, <adi@txpinball.com> wrote:

>Not really much to add, just rehashing what you did with a twist. Take the
>sound board out, examine carefully again the solder side of it and the male
>connector (the ribbon cable connector) for cracked joints and/or verify for
>continuity.
>
>There should be 8 sound chips for this game, maybe they are in the wrong
>spots. Reburn the ROMs and get them in the correct position.
>
>Examine the ROM sockets
>
>Swap the sound board with another one (doesn't mater what game's chips are
>in it, STTNG will play Shadow or whatever sound board fine).
>
>Once we are positive it's the original sound board, then it's gotta be
>triangle of sound chips, traces breakage or ribbon cable. Please post back
>your findings. Best of luck.
>
>Adi
>www.txpinball.com

Thanks for your response, Adi. A continuity check from the pins of the
34-pin connector was fine and another examination of the connector and
ROM solder joints seemed all was OK. All my machines are either
WPC-95 or pre-DCS so I don't have another board to swap in. When I
pulled the ROMs the pin 2 leg from the U2 ROM came right off. I've
changed a lot of ROMs and it came out easy so I suspect that this ROM
had a broken leg while in the socket. A new set of sound ROMs will be
ordered and I'll post back with the results.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:47:35 -0700, Kenbo <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com>
wrote:

[...]

> A continuity check from the pins of the
>34-pin connector was fine and another examination of the connector and
>ROM solder joints seemed all was OK. All my machines are either
>WPC-95 or pre-DCS so I don't have another board to swap in. When I
>pulled the ROMs the pin 2 leg from the U2 ROM came right off. I've
>changed a lot of ROMs and it came out easy so I suspect that this ROM
>had a broken leg while in the socket. A new set of sound ROMs will be
>ordered and I'll post back with the results.

For google posterity, I ordered and installed a new set of sound ROMs
from John Wart Jr. at ThatPinballPlace (great seller BTW) and that
fixed the problem. Not sure if the problem was corrupted sound ROMs or
if the leg on U2 was broken before removal, but installing a new set
fixed it right up.

Adi

Good going. I had a hunch it was that. And yes, John is definitely a good
guy, too.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:16:21 GMT, <adi@txpinball.com> wrote:

>Good going. I had a hunch it was that. And yes, John is definitely a good
>guy, too.
>Adi
>www.txpinball.com

This one has been a challenge. No sound, no video, CPU not working,
lots of trough and other opto problems, GI connectors, hacked wiring
harnesses and a few bad switches. Now that everything is working it's
time to fix the melted pf insert and neutral zone hole and re-decal
the backbox.

Adi

Best of luck with that. I did all that with one I sold last October. I even
documented the backbox decal application here:
http://www.txpinball.com/sttng_decal_installation.html

Much easier installing these decals then all the others going to the edges
of the backbox. Cliffy can help you with neutral zone and I guess that
insert just needs a new sticker/decal applied, sanded and spot clear coated.

STTNG sure is worth all that and much more.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 04:11:49 GMT, <adi@txpinball.com> wrote:

>Best of luck with that. I did all that with one I sold last October. I even
>documented the backbox decal application here:
>http://www.txpinball.com/sttng_decal_installation.html
>
>Much easier installing these decals then all the others going to the edges
>of the backbox. Cliffy can help you with neutral zone and I guess that
>insert just needs a new sticker/decal applied, sanded and spot clear coated.
>
>STTNG sure is worth all that and much more.
>
>Adi
>www.txpinball.com

Thanks for the link! It's always helpful to know that others have been
there first and your info is most helpful.

The melted pf insert is too badly damaged to easily repair - it has a
hole melted in it. I've got another insert I will replace it with, and
Jeff made some top notch decals to replace the text. It should look
almost pristine if I do my job right.

Adi

You're very welcome. You got yourself there one of the finest and coolest
pinball machines in the Galaxy.
For more fun and amusement with it, go here:
http://www.txpinball.com/sttng_video_modes.html

If you decide to install new domes for the cannons with lasers, Mick is your
man here: www.mickspinball.com

That game will give you days, months and years of frustration and
entertainment. Oh, and I hate that damn Q and his mode.