Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

In desperate need of computer help.

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
November 13, 2012 5:24:50 PM

Hello, alright here is what's been going on. For the past month or so, I have been having issues with my computer monitor or so I think it's the monitor itself. Anyways the problem began when I noticed my computer screen looked slightly darker than usual. I tried to brighten it up but all of a sudden it went black on me. When I tried starting it up again the picture would stay for about 6 seconds and then go black. I looked around different sites including this one for a answer and I figured until I'm able to get it fixed. I decided to switch monitiors and see if it would work for the time being as I'm a college student. Anyways I switched computers and with this one the problem still existed. Only now the screen flickers constantly and makes a small buzzing noise. I have no idea what it is, and I'm not good at all with computers. I have tried switching servers and the problem still exists on both monitors.

One monitor is a samsung and the other is an hp with a lcd screen.

Any help will be much appreciated.

More about : desperate computer

a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2012 5:34:08 PM

Hi,

So it's clearly related to the computer since the other monitor has same problem.

I'm suspecting that the video card is bad.

What you computer specs?

Do you have onboard video ?

maybe the computer is overheating check for dust inside the box.


m
0
l
a c 104 C Monitor
a c 366 $ Windows 7
November 13, 2012 6:48:27 PM

You are talking about switching monitors, then you say you switched computers. Exactly what did you do? Try a second monitor with your computer? Or your monitor with another computer? These are desktop computers correct? Or Laptops?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2012 7:13:29 PM

Are you sure the second monitor worked to begin with?

How are you connecting the monitor, the issue could be with the cable itself. It's worth trying a new cable if you can detach it from the monitor (often people will have these laying around as most new stuff comes with new cables).

I would really suspect that you simply have two bad monitors, if you can convince someone to try one of them out on their computer it should prove that your computer isn't the problem.

Did anything happen that started the issue? Has it been since moving into dorms or something like that?

m
0
l
November 14, 2012 2:57:57 AM

hang-the-9 said:
You are talking about switching monitors, then you say you switched computers. Exactly what did you do? Try a second monitor with your computer? Or your monitor with another computer? These are desktop computers correct? Or Laptops?

Yes I took both the hp and samsung monitors and paired it with the server I had and both had problems. I then took the two monitors and put them on another old server and the same problem happened. Yes they are desktops.
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 3:19:31 AM

dextermat said:
Hi,

So it's clearly related to the computer since the other monitor has same problem.

I'm suspecting that the video card is bad.

What you computer specs?

Do you have onboard video ?

maybe the computer is overheating check for dust inside the box.

I haven't gotten the chance to check the card but I will shortly. Do you think that could be the problem? On my lcd monitor the blue/green light at the bottom stays on so I know the computer is still on even though the screen went black. And the weird part is although the screen stays black when I turn off the computer it clearly shows when the monitor goes to sleep.

I'm not sure onboard video.
m
0
l
a c 104 C Monitor
a c 366 $ Windows 7
November 14, 2012 12:39:11 PM

vivianav said:
Yes I took both the hp and samsung monitors and paired it with the server I had and both had problems. I then took the two monitors and put them on another old server and the same problem happened. Yes they are desktops.


Sounds like you have two bad monitors.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 14, 2012 2:07:45 PM

If I understand you correctly, you've tried each monitor on two different desktop computers, and both show the same issue?

If you have used the same cable to connect the monitors to the PC, try swapping that cable first.
Otherwise, the most likely answer is that you just have two bad monitors, unless you have some reason to believe the monitors work correctly.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 6:55:53 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Sounds like you have two bad monitors.


Is there any way at all that these can be fixed?
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 6:56:22 AM

djscribbles said:
Are you sure the second monitor worked to begin with?

How are you connecting the monitor, the issue could be with the cable itself. It's worth trying a new cable if you can detach it from the monitor (often people will have these laying around as most new stuff comes with new cables).

I would really suspect that you simply have two bad monitors, if you can convince someone to try one of them out on their computer it should prove that your computer isn't the problem.

Did anything happen that started the issue? Has it been since moving into dorms or something like that?


For the second monitor, despite the flickering, going black, and having to shut it off constantly, I got it to work so it could stay on without any problems. That was before, now all it does is flicker. Nothing else.

I tried the cable with both monitors and nothing has changed at all. No, nothing happened. I haven't moved into a dorm. This whole issue started by me changing the brightness on my screen. No damages or anything has been made to either monitor.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 7:03:18 AM

djscribbles said:
If I understand you correctly, you've tried each monitor on two different desktop computers, and both show the same issue?

If you have used the same cable to connect the monitors to the PC, try swapping that cable first.
Otherwise, the most likely answer is that you just have two bad monitors, unless you have some reason to believe the monitors work correctly.


Yes I have. I took the hp lcd monitor and paired it with an old server, and that one didn't work. I took the samsung monitor and paired it off with that same old server, didn't work either. I did use the same DVI cable for both, would I need to find a new cable and pair it with both monitors?

m
0
l
a c 104 C Monitor
a c 366 $ Windows 7
November 15, 2012 12:15:29 PM

vivianav said:
Is there any way at all that these can be fixed?


It's possible to fix pretty much anything, but would end up costing more than buying a new monitor or a used one that works.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2012 1:44:09 PM

The cost for repair would likely be more than a replacement monitor. If you can easily find a cable to borrow and try on each monitor, it wouldn't hurt to do so; but I'm with hang-the-9, more than likely you just have 2 bad monitors.

A new 20+ inch monitor costs between 100$ and 150$, they are much cheaper than they were a few years ago. With black-friday approaching you can likely find a good deal here in the US, just keep an eye on newegg and amazon for deals.
m
0
l
November 18, 2012 12:32:59 AM

hang-the-9 said:
It's possible to fix pretty much anything, but would end up costing more than buying a new monitor or a used one that works.


I have a friend who's husband fixes computers so maybe it won't be so bad?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 12:48:08 PM

Fixing a computer isn't the same as fixing a monitor, completely different skill sets. Odds are, the only sure way to fix a monitor would be to send it back to the manufacturer (it could be under warranty anyway if it's new).

He could however make sure the problem is the monitors and not something else; and may be able to fix the monitor (or be willing to try), but often issues like that are pretty difficult to fix.
m
0
l
!