Font in my browser

Every time I install a new font in windows -- my internet explorer browser
(version 6.0) displays everything in italics. So I restore my system back to
the point before I installed the fonts - and everything is fine. Even if I
install just ONE font and it is NOT an italic font, my browser display turns
into italics again. This is driving me crazy and I don't know what the
problem is.

ANY help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about font browser

    benecia wrote:

    > Every time I install a new font in windows -- my internet explorer
    > browser (version 6.0) displays everything in italics. So I restore my
    > system back to the point before I installed the fonts - and everything
    > is fine. Even if I install just ONE font and it is NOT an italic font,
    > my browser display turns into italics again. This is driving me crazy
    > and I don't know what the problem is.
    >
    > ANY help at all is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance.

    How are you installing the font? Are you using the Install Font function
    from the Fonts folder's File menu?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Yes -- I am installing the fonts using the install font function from the
    Windows Font Folder file menu.

    Thank you.

    benecia wrote:

    > Yes -- I am installing the fonts using the install font function from
    > the Windows Font Folder file menu.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> benecia wrote:
    >>
    >> > Every time I install a new font in windows -- my internet explorer
    >> > browser (version 6.0) displays everything in italics. So I restore
    >> > my system back to the point before I installed the fonts - and
    >> > everything is fine. Even if I install just ONE font and it is NOT
    >> > an italic font, my browser display turns into italics again. This
    >> > is driving me crazy and I don't know what the problem is.
    >> >
    >> > ANY help at all is greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanking you in advance.
    >>
    >> How are you installing the font? Are you using the Install Font
    >> function from the Fonts folder's File menu?

    Then I'm not sure. Perhaps you are trying to replace a system font?
    Usually when the fonts turn into italics, it is because of this (credit
    to the late MVP Alex Nichol):

    "When a rogue program decides to install its own version of system
    fonts, it may replace the original version of the font file with a
    shortcut in the font folder. Once this program is uninstalled, the
    shortcut may now point to a font file that no longer exists. Windows
    XP in turn reacts by turning all unspecified fonts into italics upon
    next reboot.The simple way to fix this is to delete all shortcuts in
    the font folder and replace them with the actual font file. By going
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts],
    you can also double check the path of each font and look for any
    suspicious paths."

    Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm

    How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768

    TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084

    Were you ever able to install fonts successfully? If so, what changed?
    Perhaps you have a third-party font manager installed?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    My Arial font is stuffed up. It's because I installed an early MS OS shell which copied win 3.1 fonts over my fonts. It doesn't necessarily change to italic. Mine all changed the Arial Narrow as none of the 4 normal arial font files were any good.

    "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message news:%2301QeevrFHA.2768@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > benecia wrote:
    >
    >> Yes -- I am installing the fonts using the install font function from
    >> the Windows Font Folder file menu.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >>> How are you installing the font? Are you using the Install Font
    >>> function from the Fonts folder's File menu?
    >
    > Then I'm not sure. Perhaps you are trying to replace a system font?
    > Usually when the fonts turn into italics, it is because of this (credit
    > to the late MVP Alex Nichol):
    >
    > "When a rogue program decides to install its own version of system
    > fonts, it may replace the original version of the font file with a
    > shortcut in the font folder. Once this program is uninstalled, the
    > shortcut may now point to a font file that no longer exists. Windows
    > XP in turn reacts by turning all unspecified fonts into italics upon
    > next reboot.The simple way to fix this is to delete all shortcuts in
    > the font folder and replace them with the actual font file. By going
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts],
    > you can also double check the path of each font and look for any
    > suspicious paths."
    >
    > Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm
    >
    > How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768
    >
    > TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084
    >
    > Were you ever able to install fonts successfully? If so, what changed?
    > Perhaps you have a third-party font manager installed?
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi:

    Thanks for the info back. Couple of questions: how do I access
    this:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts].
    How will I know something is a shortcut or not -- will it have the icon that
    says shortcut?
    And to replace all fonts with the actual font file -- where do I get the
    actual font file? Is it part of the original WindowsXP disk that shipped with
    the system?
    I have never been able to install any new fonts on this system since I got
    it (May 2005) I do graphic design and this is VERY frustrating as I am
    extremely limited by my font choices.

    Thank you !

    benecia wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > Thanks for the info back. Couple of questions: how do I access
    > this
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts].
    > How will I know something is a shortcut or not -- will it have the
    > icon that says shortcut?
    > And to replace all fonts with the actual font file -- where do I get
    > the actual font file? Is it part of the original WindowsXP disk that
    > shipped with the system?
    > I have never been able to install any new fonts on this system since I
    > got it (May 2005) I do graphic design and this is VERY frustrating as
    > I am extremely limited by my font choices.

    If you have never been able to install fonts on your computer, then
    something is very wrong. What third-party software do you have? Since
    you are a graphic designer, perhaps you have a font manager installed
    or some font-related software that has broken Windows fonts. That is
    the only thing I can think of.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers