Megatouch Experts?

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Any of you kind pinheads here know anything about Megatouches? I've
managed to somehow mess mine up and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Had a noisy CPU fan. Took the unit apart, which was a real pain until
I could finally get to the fan. I did pop out the CPU chip and not
notice how it went back in (my bad) but I've since tried rotating it
all 4 ways and still no dice.

Now, when I power up the MT XL, I get a black screen, no video, just a
"pop, pa-pop...pop, pa-pop...pop, pa-pop" noise from the speaker over
and over again. The red LED on the main board is lit, so it's getting
power, but I'm not sure what else to do next. With no video telling me
where the error is, I'm stumped.

I did reconnect every cable and card the way they were originally, I am
98% sure. But if anyone knows what might cause this symptom and has
something I can take a stab at, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

You most likely fried the cpu by now. The XL's are 486's for the most
part and the cpu is pinned to only fit the socket one way. If you
managed to get it in 4 different ways then you've at least bent some
pins! Maybe look closely at the cpu chip for bent over pins, straighten
them and try again. This time look for the lopped off corner or
screened dot that dictates how it matches up with the socket. And good
luck!

Cliffy
A passion for pinball!
www.passionforpinball.com

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks guys. Figured I could get some help here. It's been YEARS
since I worked with a 486 type chip so I take full responsibility.

Believe it or not, no pins on this processor are bent. They go in
straight and true all 4 ways. But I forgot to look for the dimple.
I'll go check that on my lunch break today. I was shocked that it went
in so many different ways. I'll check it more closely and report back.
If it's just a fried CPU I can live with that. My mistake, as long as
I can track down a replacement.

Speaking of which, anyone know what type of processor I need? The
specs say AMD 486 66 but that doesn't help me much. There really is no
AMD 486/66 processor, but I am sure there is an equivalent. I figure I
can check the local PC boneyard stores or ebay and salvage one if it's
a standard processor that I can use in there.

Thanks for the number for Joe. I've been looking for a good contact at
Merit.

Brad,

I have 2 of them (one is on it's way to me..well acually it's a Bally Mega
Touch ) You can call Merit Industies at

1-800-445-9353 Ext. 232

Speak to a Joe Perry. He's help me numerous times!

TexasSteven

Both are the table models

"Brad"
> Speaking of which, anyone know what type of processor I need? The
> specs say AMD 486 66 but that doesn't help me much. There really is no
> AMD 486/66 processor, but I am sure there is an equivalent.
<snip>

Sounds standard- 486 Intel came "off the rack" in 25, 50, and 66 MHz models.
I'd suspect the same with AMD, especially if it's printed on the chip or in
the book. Any PC recyc store or thrift store ought to have a shelf of boxes
with these inside.

Ray J
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks again for all the replies.

I can find a new chip locally I hope. The only thing I want to make
SURE of is that I put the replacement chip on the RIGHT WAY.

Is there anyone here that can tell me the proper direction this thing
should face? Using the printing on top of the chip or the notched
corner of the chip would be easiest. The problem is the board allows
the chip in there any which way. Can you tell me the direction yours
is on, anyone? As you look at the board with the top having the power
lines and the lower right hand corner having the CPU socket.

Thanks again all. The search continues. Called 2 local places and no
luck so far! I'd order but I need this thing by the weekend, ugh!

Brad

Brad Wrote:

Speaking of which, anyone know what type of processor I need? The
specs say AMD 486 66 but that doesn't help me much. There really is no
AMD 486/66 processor, but I am sure there is an equivalent. I figure I
can check the local PC boneyard stores or ebay and salvage one if it's
a standard processor that I can use in there.

Brad,

If you call Joe Perry with Merit Industies 's tech support he will tell you
exactly what you need.NO CHARGE!

1-800-445-9353 Ext. 232
Merit Industies Tech Support

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Awesome! Joe set me straight, told me I fried the chip and the right
way to put one in.

Now I just need to FIND a new chip by Saturday! That's the new
challenge...

Brad

1-800-445-9353 Ext. 232
Merit Industies Tech Support