jac2598

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Hello...

My PC starts booting and then shuts off, the boot lasts less than 10 seconds and then power is shut off. Thinking it was the mobo, I replaced it (got an Asus A7V8X-X) and tossed that in with my Athlon XP 1800+ to no change. So, I replaced the CPU w/ a new Athlon XP 2200+. No change. Tried booting w/out hard drive, no change. No Video card, no change. Without memory, the only change was one beep, but aside from that no change.

The only thing I can think of is the power supply, but all hardware powers up. The CPU fan, the case fans, hard drive, & light on mobo does go on.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction as to what could be wrong? Thanks!

James

G

the power button ? :)

seriously, sounds like a PSU issue to me.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Definitely power supply. Once the boot screen kicks in there's a demand for more performance from your video card and other components...... pffffft.
-Brett

jac2598

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Thanks for the help guys.

Unfortunately, still no go. Ugh. Replaced the power supply and the box still won't boot past 5-10 seconds.

I'm at a loss. Brand new power supply, mother board & cpu. What else could it be?

G

thats weird to say the least.. another thougth; have you connected a 3 wire fan to the MB CPU fan header ? maybe the mb shuts down as it doesnt read a RPM on the fan. 2 wire fans don't read RPM's, and the MB could consider the fan failing..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =