XP home and Pro dual boot?

Probably a stupid question, but can I create a dual boot system. One side Pro
and the other Home?

Or better yet, can I install pro over home and keep my computer intact?

"jetta878" <jetta878@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Probably a stupid question, but can I create a dual boot system. One
> side Pro and the other Home?

Yes, although this doesn't make too much sense.

> Or better yet, can I install pro over home and keep my computer intact?

No problem when using a retail version. Anyway, backup important data
before.

--
d-d

Do you have a link that can assist me, or is this just a matter of putting in
the Pro CD and letting it go?

I'm going to go buy Pro. Is that what you mean by retail?

Detlev Dreyer wrote:

>> Or better yet, can I install pro over home and keep my computer
>> intact?
>
> No problem when using a retail version.

Addendum: There will be a problem when trying to install XP Pro SP1
(or RTM) on top of XP Home SP2. However, this issue can be resolved
in most cases.

--
d-d

jetta878 wrote:

> Probably a stupid question, but can I create a dual boot system. One
> side Pro and the other Home?

Yes, but since there's nothing in Home that isn't also in Professional,
there's no reason to do this.

> Or better yet, can I install pro over home and keep my computer
> intact?

Certainly, as long as you use a retail version of Professional. An OEM
version won't do upgrades.

If you have SP2 on your Home installation, be sure that the Professional
version has it too. If not, you'll need to slipstream SP2 into it. Read
here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

Be sure to back up your data first, though, just in case something unusual
goes wrong.

Are you sure you need Professional? XP Professional and XP Home are exactly
the same in all respects, except that Professional has a few features
(mostly related to networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but
not all) home users, even those with a home network, these features aren't
needed, would never be used, and upgrading to Professional is a waste of
money.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"jetta878" <jetta878@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Do you have a link that can assist me, or is this just a matter of
> putting in the Pro CD and letting it go?

It's just a matter of putting in the Pro CD and letting it go.

> I'm going to go buy Pro. Is that what you mean by retail?

Retail version != OEM/DSP/SB versions

Although it has been reported that some SB (System Builder) CDs
may be used for upgrading XP Home to XP Pro under running Windows,
this is not for sure. Ask the vendor for a retail CD (both update
version and full version will work) and make sure that it's the
latest release (SP2). Note that you need another license (key) for
XP Pro.

--
d-d

Thanks for the advice Ken!

I need XP pro for the Remote Desktop feature.

So I need an updated install of XP home, then I backup my data, set bios to
boot from CD, and away I go?

In news:D1A810DD-FE03-421F-9647-B2456985D05F@microsoft.com,
jetta878 <jetta878@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thanks for the advice Ken!

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> I need XP pro for the Remote Desktop feature.

OK, just wanted to make sure. Some people want it because they
erroneously think it's "better."

> So I need an updated install of XP home, then I backup my data,
> set
> bios to boot from CD, and away I go?

When you say you "an updated install of XP home," what do you
mean? Are you planning to do a clean installation of XP Home,
then follow that with an upgrade to XP Professional?

If so, no, don't do that. The requirement to use an upgrade
version is to *own* a previous qualifying version's installation
CD (with an OEM restore CD, see below), not to have it installed.
When setup doesn't find a previous qualifying version installed,
it will prompt you to insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just
insert the previous version's CD, and follow the prompts.
Everything proceeds quite normally and quite legitimately.

You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore
CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but
it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the
XP upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from
Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete
the partition and start over.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> jetta878 wrote:
>>
>>> Probably a stupid question, but can I create a dual boot
>>> system. One
>>> side Pro and the other Home?
>>

>> Yes, but since there's nothing in Home that isn't also in
>> Professional, there's no reason to do this.
>>

>>> Or better yet, can I install pro over home and keep my
>>> computer
>>> intact?
>>

>> Certainly, as long as you use a retail version of
>> Professional. An
>> OEM version won't do upgrades.
>>
>> If you have SP2 on your Home installation, be sure that the
>> Professional version has it too. If not, you'll need to
>> slipstream
>> SP2 into it. Read here:
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262
>>
>> Be sure to back up your data first, though, just in case
>> something
>> unusual goes wrong.
>>
>> Are you sure you need Professional? XP Professional and XP
>> Home are
>> exactly the same in all respects, except that Professional has
>> a few
>> features (mostly related to networking and security) missing
>> from
>> Home. For most (but not all) home users, even those with a
>> home
>> network, these features aren't needed, would never be used,
>> and
>> upgrading to Professional is a waste of money.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Sorry I guess the 'updated install' is worded wrong. What I meant was an XP
pro install CD with SP2 already on it.

I have the XP home CD that I got with the computer. Can't I go buy XP PRO
SP2 and upgrade from there as long as the PRO CD is updated to SP2?

In news:6F896487-B2E2-4B2A-A879-49F0CAAF76E7@microsoft.com,
jetta878 <jetta878@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Sorry I guess the 'updated install' is worded wrong. What I
> meant was
> an XP pro install CD with SP2 already on it.

OK, I understand now.

> I have the XP home CD that I got with the computer. Can't I go
> buy XP
> PRO SP2 and upgrade from there as long as the PRO CD is updated
> SP2?

Sure. And even if you got XP Professional *without* SP2, you
could create your own CD with it by following the slipstream
procedure I mentioned below.

Just make sure you buy a retail upgrade version of XP
Professional. Again, remember that an OEM version won't do an
upgrade.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:D1A810DD-FE03-421F-9647-B2456985D05F@microsoft.com,
>> jetta878 <jetta878@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> Thanks for the advice Ken!
>>

>> You're welcome. Glad to help.
>>

>>> I need XP pro for the Remote Desktop feature.
>>

>> OK, just wanted to make sure. Some people want it because they
>> erroneously think it's "better."
>>

>>> So I need an updated install of XP home, then I backup my
>>> data,
>>> set
>>> bios to boot from CD, and away I go?
>>

>> When you say you "an updated install of XP home," what do you
>> mean? Are you planning to do a clean installation of XP Home,
>> then follow that with an upgrade to XP Professional?
>>
>> If so, no, don't do that. The requirement to use an upgrade
>> version is to *own* a previous qualifying version's
>> installation
>> CD (with an OEM restore CD, see below), not to have it
>> installed.
>> When setup doesn't find a previous qualifying version
>> installed,
>> it will prompt you to insert its CD as proof of ownership.
>> Just
>> insert the previous version's CD, and follow the prompts.
>> Everything proceeds quite normally and quite legitimately.
>>
>> You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM
>> restore
>> CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated,
>> but
>> it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run
>> the
>> XP upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change
>> from
>> Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to
>> delete
>> the partition and start over.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

OEM meaning the CD I got from Dell with my PC?

In news:F19317D5-6634-45B5-AF4F-85845A74B31A@microsoft.com,
jetta878 <jetta878@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> OEM meaning the CD I got from Dell with my PC?

That's the XP Home CD? No, that doesn't matter. What matters is
the XP Professional CD you want to do the upgrade with. *That* CD
has to be retail, not OEM. Buy an Upgrade CD, since that's the
least expensive CD that will do an upgrade.