Internet Only Workstation

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a Windows account that
gives the user access to Internet Explorer only and nothing else. I have a
situation where I am trying to set up an account which users can use when
they forget their LAN password. Hence, they would login with this 'Internet
Only Account' and reset their LAN password. I do not wish for users to have
any other functionality except for using Internet Explorer to get onto the
intranet.

The environment users will be working in is predominately Windows 2000 and
Windows XP workstations with Windows 2003 servers.

Thanks all.

Jon
1 answer Last reply
More about internet workstation

    You should post this to an AD newsgroup or to a Server newsgroup. Something
    like a Terminal Session?

    However: One must be logged in as a Domain Administrator in order to change
    passwords. What you are proposing is to provide Admin rights to any
    un-authenticated user who might try to hack into your network.
    From a security standpoint, you would be better of to allow all users to log
    into your Domain without a password -- at least then they would not be
    entering as Admins.

    steve

    "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a Windows account that
    > gives the user access to Internet Explorer only and nothing else. I have a
    > situation where I am trying to set up an account which users can use when
    > they forget their LAN password. Hence, they would login with this
    > 'Internet
    > Only Account' and reset their LAN password. I do not wish for users to
    > have
    > any other functionality except for using Internet Explorer to get onto the
    > intranet.
    >
    > The environment users will be working in is predominately Windows 2000 and
    > Windows XP workstations with Windows 2003 servers.
    >
    > Thanks all.
    >
    > Jon

Internet Explorer Internet Windows XP