Inspiron 8000 battery

Hello All,

The primary battery on my Inspiron 8000 is no longer charging. Can I remove
it and operate the computer without a primary or a secondary battery on AC
only without losing any system settings, etc.? Would the settings be lost
if the machine were unplugged, moved, and set up elsewhere? Many thanks for
the info.

"Jim Driscoll" <jdriscoll@trentu.ca> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> The primary battery on my Inspiron 8000 is no longer charging. Can I
> remove
> it and operate the computer without a primary or a secondary battery
> on AC
> only without losing any system settings, etc.? Would the settings be
> lost
> if the machine were unplugged, moved, and set up elsewhere? Many
> thanks for
> the info.

Settings are either in BIOS or written to disk, so no, you will not
loose settings when powered down. You will lose data from any unsaved
applications on a power failure or if removing the AC adapter if no
working battery is installed.

You can operate without a battery.

Many thanks--for now I think that I will use the machine as a compact
desktop and put off buying the incredibly expensive battery.

> Many thanks--for now I think that I will use the machine as a compact
> desktop and put off buying the incredibly expensive battery.

As an Inspiron 8000 owner myself, I think there is a design fault in the
charging mechanism that shags the battery. My machine is 3.5 years old and
is virtually permanently connected to the mains. On the rare occasion that I
use battery power the machine first tells me I have ~2.5 hours of use but
this soon collapses and the power is drained in about 20-30 minutes. It has
been like this for the last 2 years. In the first 10 minutes on battery the
charge drops from 100% to 90%. In the next 10 minutes it drops from 90% to
10%!!! and then it slows down to give me maybe another 5 minutes before it
dies. Often the discharge is so quick at the end that the machine does not
have time to complete a "standby" shutdown. There is much talk on the Dell
Talk forums about this.

In contrast my 6 year old Inspiron 7000 will still run for 2+ hours on its
original battery and that has been treated in exactly the same way in terms
of charging patterns of usage.

IMHO you would do well not to buy another battery for the i8000 as that will
get shagged too. Just leave the old one in as a 2 minute USP in the event of
a mains power supply glitch, like the lead getting kicked out accidentally.

Your description of the battery behaviour is identical to my experience.

I bought the machine used off-lease from a Dell clearance centre a few weeks
ago, and have gone through exactly what you describe. At the moment I'm
down to a steady green battery indicator light when the machine is powered
down and flashing orange within a few minutes of operation. I'll take your
advice and use it on mains.

"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>been like this for the last 2 years. In the first 10 minutes on battery the
>charge drops from 100% to 90%. In the next 10 minutes it drops from 90% to
>10%!!! and then it slows down to give me maybe another 5 minutes before it
>dies. Often the discharge is so quick at the end that the machine does not
>have time to complete a "standby" shutdown. There is much talk on the Dell
>Talk forums about this.
>
>In contrast my 6 year old Inspiron 7000 will still run for 2+ hours on its
>original battery and that has been treated in exactly the same way in terms
>of charging patterns of usage.
>
>IMHO you would do well not to buy another battery for the i8000 as that will
>get shagged too. Just leave the old one in as a 2 minute USP in the event of
>a mains power supply glitch, like the lead getting kicked out accidentally.

The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries currently being used in
laptops and other portable electronic devices are not your old
ni-cads and don't operate like them. It basically has an ~2 year
life, whatever your usage, before it stops taking a full charge.
If you google in this group on my posting name and the topic
"laptop", "battery"/"batteries", etc., you should find a post of
mine from several months ago that contained a link to a
Washington Post article that fully discussed this issue. Alas,
at this late date, it would cost you $2.95 to access the article.
But I did put more info from the article in my posts then, so the
google won't be a total loss.

Basically, if your computers are most often operated from wall
power, and a 30-minute charge is suitable for when you aren't,
you're OK. If not, you'll have to resign yourself to a new
battery every couple of years.

[I should note that I haven't ever owned a laptop. It is just
that the topic of laptop battery life was active in this
newsgroup on the Sunday the article appeared in the Post's
regular weekly computer/technology section of the Sunday Business
Section. So I made a post based on the info in that article and
included the link. Fine then, since the article had just
appeared. However, the Post charges $2.95 for any online
archived article more than 2-weeks old.]
--
OJ III