Dim UXGA display on I5000e

I broke my I5000 SXGA+ (don't ask). I have a lot of I5000 stuff (batteries
and docking stations, DVD writers, etc.) so I decided to get another I5000e
off of eBay instead of spending big bucks on new machine. eBay Machine is
fine and the display is higher resolution (I like that) but the brightness
of the screen is significantly less that the SXGA+ on my old machine. I can
adjust the brightness in 10 steps like my old machine, but the max
brightness even when powered from the adapter is barely OK in a low light
situation and almost unusable in an office environment.

My question: Is this a normal characteristic of the I5000e generation
displays UXGA? Is there a way to improve its brightness? Is it due to aging
of the fluorescent backlinght? Any comments?

Mike

I've got a 4-year old Inspiron 5000e -- no problems with screen brightness.

Chances are the backlight is aging -- or the inverter is starting to go.