HP pav 513w

I friend of mine asked me if I would look at his pc. Said it was soooo
slow. He wasn't able to do much of anything with it. He has had it
about 2yrs. Has Win XP Home for the os. AV subscription ran out 3mo
after he got it. Don't think it had ever been de-fragged or had any
think else done to it as far as maintaining it. I do a little pc tune
up for friends but I haven't had to do much with HP pc's. My last
resort to fix this one up was to do a sys restore. I tried the safe
restore ( the one to just restore the os) but it seems to be so mucked
up that it wont even finish that. It gets down to the last blue screen
when it is ready to finish the restore and it just hangs there. I
guess at this point my problem is that I cant seem to find the right
key to push at start up to access the sys restore feature, I found it
by accident the first time. I use f1 for sys set-up but I need to know
which key is used for sys restore. This whole thing would have been a
lot simpler if his copy of WinXP would have been on cd and not on his
hard drive. So if I haven't bored everyone to death with all this
reading ,could get a clue as to the key to use for sys restore?
Thanks.

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

"Mike Hunt" <thegatekeeper@africamail.com> wrote in message
> I friend of mine asked me if I would look at his pc. Said it was soooo
> slow. He wasn't able to do much of anything with it. He has had it
> about 2yrs. Has Win XP Home for the os. AV subscription ran out 3mo
> after he got it. Don't think it had ever been de-fragged or had any
> think else done to it as far as maintaining it. I do a little pc tune
> up for friends but I haven't had to do much with HP pc's. My last
> resort to fix this one up was to do a sys restore. I tried the safe
> restore ( the one to just restore the os) but it seems to be so mucked
> up that it wont even finish that. It gets down to the last blue screen
> when it is ready to finish the restore and it just hangs there. I
> guess at this point my problem is that I cant seem to find the right
> key to push at start up to access the sys restore feature, I found it
> by accident the first time. I use f1 for sys set-up but I need to know
> which key is used for sys restore. This whole thing would have been a
> lot simpler if his copy of WinXP would have been on cd and not on his
> hard drive. So if I haven't bored everyone to death with all this
> reading ,could get a clue as to the key to use for sys restore?
> Thanks.

On the HP site?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=90856&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07145

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:48:55 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>"Mike Hunt" <thegatekeeper@africamail.com> wrote in message
>> I friend of mine asked me if I would look at his pc. Said it was soooo
>> slow. He wasn't able to do much of anything with it. He has had it
>> about 2yrs. Has Win XP Home for the os. AV subscription ran out 3mo
>> after he got it. Don't think it had ever been de-fragged or had any
>> think else done to it as far as maintaining it. I do a little pc tune
>> up for friends but I haven't had to do much with HP pc's. My last
>> resort to fix this one up was to do a sys restore. I tried the safe
>> restore ( the one to just restore the os) but it seems to be so mucked
>> up that it wont even finish that. It gets down to the last blue screen
>> when it is ready to finish the restore and it just hangs there. I
>> guess at this point my problem is that I cant seem to find the right
>> key to push at start up to access the sys restore feature, I found it
>> by accident the first time. I use f1 for sys set-up but I need to know
>> which key is used for sys restore. This whole thing would have been a
>> lot simpler if his copy of WinXP would have been on cd and not on his
>> hard drive. So if I haven't bored everyone to death with all this
>> reading ,could get a clue as to the key to use for sys restore?
>> Thanks.
>
>On the HP site?
>
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=90856&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07145

Well thanks for the info. I got so caught up in things that I didn't
think about HP. I will take your advice. Thanks a bunch!!