Good multiformat replacement for DVD+ ?

I'm looking for a new drive that can handle DVD +-, but also maybe be able
to read DVD-Ram. That last one is less important.

Do you have a favorite brand? I've had several differnt cdrom's and a
cd-rw, and this dvd+ from my new dimension. All I really know is that
CyberDrive likes to break down. :)

tia....

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides

I am using a TDK 880N 8X DVD+-/RW drive and have been very happy with
it. Newer ones are now up to 16X. It has never scrapped a disc in the
3 months that I have had it using assorted burning programs. Other
good makes are Sonys, Plextors, to name a few. A good sorce of info is
on pcmag's website under reviews.

bigsley

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:10:42 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a new drive that can handle DVD +-, but also maybe be able
>to read DVD-Ram. That last one is less important.
>
>Do you have a favorite brand? I've had several differnt cdrom's and a
>cd-rw, and this dvd+ from my new dimension. All I really know is that
>CyberDrive likes to break down. :)
>
>tia....

anonymous coughed up:
> I am using a TDK 880N 8X DVD+-/RW drive and have been very happy with
> it. Newer ones are now up to 16X. It has never scrapped a disc in the
> 3 months that I have had it using assorted burning programs. Other
> good makes are Sonys, Plextors, to name a few. A good sorce of info is
> on pcmag's website under reviews.

....[rip]...

Thanks.

The trouble with reviewers is that sometimes they can /all/ disagree. The
other problem is that they sometimes don't spend the time to actually
research something and just reword the propaganda from the company.

That's why the anecdotal comments in newsgroups are so great. .....Within
measure.

Thanks for the TDK plug.

FWIW, CNet has found issues with all the dual layers and establishes them as
not ready for prime time. Do you concur?

2ndly, WHEN THE HECK IS BLUE LASER COMING OUT? Purportedly, Japan already
has that technology, and it'll push upwards of 30 to 50 gigs a disk.
{grumble} :)

--
Iamamanofconstantsorrow,I'veseentroubleallmydays.Ibidfarewelltoold
Kentucky,TheplacewhereIwasbornandraised.ForsixlongyearsI'vebeenin