Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Had virus, now have bigger problem with registry

Tags:
  • Virus
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 1, 2005 5:22:02 AM

Ok got a virus the intell32 yesterday. Did a system recovery, now it says
there are corrupt files in the register and i need to download all these
things from different websites to fix it. What do i do?????? Can anyone
please help. Just got another message this one says my pribacy is in danger.
the messages say messenger service at the top and then it says my computer is
infected and to go to spytoast.com. its says message from system to alert,
what does this all mean

More about : virus bigger problem registry

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:12:02 AM

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#3

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

Ewido Security Suite Trial version

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it elsewhere. I need
to see it not them.

HijackThis

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok got a virus the intell32 yesterday. Did a system recovery, now it says
> there are corrupt files in the register and i need to download all these
> things from different websites to fix it. What do i do?????? Can anyone
> please help. Just got another message this one says my pribacy is in
> danger.
> the messages say messenger service at the top and then it says my computer
> is
> infected and to go to spytoast.com. its says message from system to
> alert,
> what does this all mean
September 1, 2005 10:27:02 PM

In article <KyGRe.275$pt.110@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Never download software from an unknown source - in this case you don't
know what pcbutts has done with/to the downloads. Those downloads are
available for free from the vendors own sites, and you get additional
information from the vendor that butt doesn't provide.

Also, posting of HJ logs is not acceptable in this type of group.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

From: "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Ok got a virus the intell32 yesterday. Did a system recovery, now it says
| there are corrupt files in the register and i need to download all these
| things from different websites to fix it. What do i do?????? Can anyone
| please help. Just got another message this one says my pribacy is in danger.
| the messages say messenger service at the top and then it says my computer is
| infected and to go to spytoast.com. its says message from system to alert,
| what does this all mean

It sounds liker you manually tried to remove this and it was not effective t\so the remnants
are trying to get you to download and reinstall the original or other components.

Please read the following page and referring URLs...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/intell32.exe-1...

I also suggest you thouroughly scan your computer with anti virus and anti spayware
softwasre.

Please download, install and update the following software...

Ad-aware SE v1.06
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
http://security.kolla.de/

After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
September 2, 2005 8:03:01 AM

Thank you all, between all of the links and info, I was able to find out that
I was being spammed and my computer is not totally protected, I'm downloading
some of the antivirus/spyware/and whatever else to protect it, and the
messeges stopped when I turned on my firewall, thanks again.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:40:10 PM

Leythos wrote:

> Also, posting of HJ logs is not acceptable in this type of group.

Why not and says who (other than you)?
September 5, 2005 8:40:11 PM

In article <431c64f4_2@x-privat.org>, lua@nospam.com says...
> Leythos wrote:
>

> > Also, posting of HJ logs is not acceptable in this type of group.
>

> Why not and says who (other than you)?

Ever hear about Usenet norms and proper etiquette? I guess not. There
are specific groups designed for hijack and many, many, many on-line
forums that are specifically setup to analyze HJ logs - posting them
here doesn't make sense.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:40:11 PM

Go ahead and post it here, there is no problem doing it and nothing will
happen if you do. I will check it for you. Leythos is an idiot.

"Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431c64f4_2@x-privat.org...
> Leythos wrote:
>

>> Also, posting of HJ logs is not acceptable in this type of group.
>

> Why not and says who (other than you)?
September 5, 2005 8:40:11 PM

Also check your clock time and timezone settings, you are posting from the
future.

From: "Lua" <lua@nospam.com>

| Leythos wrote:
|
>> Also, posting of HJ logs is not acceptable in this type of group.
|
| Why not and says who (other than you)?

Answer part one.

"Why not..."
Because there are those web based forums with experts who scan scrutinize the log file and
come up with the best set of instruction to systematically find the entrenched malware and
remove it. Another reason why is that HJT logs cause a problem when you use a search engine
built into a News Client to find any prior news threads associated with file names or
Registry pointers. What you end up with is not pertinent data but with numerous HJT logs
with that searched for data found within the log. Some call this "polluting" the search
capability to assist people.

Answer part two...

"says who (other than you)?..."
Microsoft employees do not tend to give direct replies in the News Groups Maybe for
liability reasons or maybe they don't like giving out FREE help. What they have is a MVP
program where a selected few are volunteering their time and knowledge to assist in the News
Groups. They are provided tools by Microsoft to help them perform these function and you
will find that *all MVPs* will agree that HJT logs should not be posted here. Lets face it,
this News Group does not even specialize in anti malware. Then there are the actual
Microsoft employees that do respond here. They agree that HJT logs should not be posted
here and since Microsoft is the host of their News Groups, that should be the final word on
the subject. I am NOT a MS MVP but I specialize on viral malware and to some degree
non-viral malware and I too agree that the HJT logs should *ONLY* be posted in web forums
that specialize on HJT.

Even the News Group alt.privacy.spyware that specializes on adware/spyware malware
believes that the HJT logs should NOT be posted in alt.privacy.spyware but be posted in a
web based forum. The following is an except of the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ on this
subject matter...

< snip >

7. Are there any posting restrictions, rules or guidelines?

---

We encourage you not to post HijackThis! logs here. Please consider
seeking analysis at an (expert) Web Forum that handles HijackThis! logs.
Please see Appendix 2 for a list.

<snip>

Appendix 2. Forums where you can get expert advice for Hijack This! logs.
NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED before posting a log
NOTE: Web sites NOT listed in any particular order

http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=...
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackTh...
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforu...
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/f-130.html
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18
http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
http://boards.cexx.org/viewforum.php?f=1
http://www.malwarebytes.biz/forums/index.php?showforum=...

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:40:12 PM

On Monday 05 September 2005 08:43 am, Leythos had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> In article <431c64f4_2@x-privat.org>, lua@nospam.com says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>>

>> > Also, posting of HJ logs is not acceptable in this type of group.
>>

>> Why not and says who (other than you)?
>
> Ever hear about Usenet norms and proper etiquette?

Sure have, but this is the last place to find this. Just watch the Wintard
MVPs and how they post here.

--
I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.

From: "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com>

| Go ahead and post it here, there is no problem doing it and nothing will
| happen if you do. I will check it for you. Leythos is an idiot.
|
| --

Do NOT follow these directions !

This poster has been told NUMEROUS times by Microsoft personnel and MS MVPs (and non MVPs)
that posting HJT logs should NOT be done. This poster ignores the vast majority of
experienced support people that state what should be done in this News Group and his
poster's expertise leaves much to be desired on this subject matter.

This poster, pcbutts1, is really what News Groups call -- A Troll !

--

> In article <431c64f4_2@x-privat.org>, lua@nospam.com says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>>

>> > Also, posting of HJ logs is not acceptable in this type of group.
>>

>> Why not and says who (other than you)?

***Me, and everyone else who has accepted the protocol for this group.
There are groups where posting of HJT logs are accepted. This is not one of
them. ***

> Ever hear about Usenet norms and proper etiquette? I guess not. There
> are specific groups designed for hijack and many, many, many on-line
> forums that are specifically setup to analyze HJ logs - posting them
> here doesn't make sense.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:40:12 PM

Yes, there is a problem with doing it. This is not the place to post such
logs. The only idiot here is pcbutts who refuses to follow the accepted
rules for this group, and has no respect for the protocol in place long
before he arrived on scene. Please do not post logs here. Thank you.

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Also check your clock time and timezone settings, you are posting from the
> future.

Check your head position, you are posting from within your own body.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:40:12 PM

In article <ROZSe.333$zq6.116@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Go ahead and post it here, there is no problem doing it and nothing will
> happen if you do. I will check it for you. Leythos is an idiot.

Actually, PCBUTTS doesn't know what will happen - in the case of most
ISP's when you Violate there acceptable Use Policy, and someone
complains, they will give you a warning and if you don't correct your
actions, they can and do terminate your service.

Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:

Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
place to download their application.

Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
at them.

Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

AdAwareSE can be found here:

SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
from here:
http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
admitted to in this group.

When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.

If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:

Only download files from Trusted Sites.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:40:13 PM

In article <Q_ZSe.92487$Hk.8534@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
> On Monday 05 September 2005 08:43 am, Leythos had this to say in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> >> Why not and says who (other than you)?
> >
> > Ever hear about Usenet norms and proper etiquette?
> >
> Sure have, but this is the last place to find this. Just watch the Wintard
> MVPs and how they post here.

BS, you can't tell me that you've been unable to open GOOGLE and type
HIJACK LOGS and find any sites that specialize in them.

In most cases, if you can get to the Internet to reach Usenet or the MS
Web interface, you can also reach GOOGLE.COM.

--

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:02:56 +0000, -rwxrw-r-- wrote:

"I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out."

On Sun, 05 in alt.os.linux.mandrake -rwxrw-r-- wrote:

10.2 on 3 different computers with weird problems.

That's funny.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:22:53 PM

Stalker.

September 5, 2005 9:22:54 PM

From: "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com>

| Stalker.
|
| --
|
| The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
| NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
| See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
| Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com

If you would listen to the majority and not do things in adhock, runinng amuck, and
irrational fashion, such responses would no longer be needed. Your posts need rebuttal.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:28:24 PM

In article <N9%Se.461$JN5.39@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Stalker.

Your posts are very close to violating your ISP's acceptable use policy,
do you want to go there?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:34:37 PM

On Monday 05 September 2005 09:25 am, Leythos had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> In article <Q_ZSe.92487$Hk.8534@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
>> On Monday 05 September 2005 08:43 am, Leythos had this to say in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>>
>> > In article <431c64f4_2@x-privat.org>, lua@nospam.com says...

>> > Ever hear about Usenet norms and proper etiquette?
>> >
>> Sure have, but this is the last place to find this. Just watch the
>> Wintard MVPs and how they post here.
>
> BS, you can't tell me that you've been unable to open GOOGLE and type
> HIJACK LOGS and find any sites that specialize in them.

I wasn't talking about hijack logs. I don't really care about hijack logs as
I'm not running that toy operating system.

--
I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:34:38 PM

From: "-rwxrw-r--" <nostop@stopspam.com>

| I wasn't talking about hijack logs. I don't really care about hijack logs as
| I'm not running that toy operating system.
|
| --
| I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
| No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
| The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.

If you don't run the OS then what are you doing here ?

Aren't you just Trolling ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:37:39 PM

On Monday 05 September 2005 10:02 am, Incognitus had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:02:56 +0000, -rwxrw-r-- wrote:
>
> "I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
> No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
> The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out."
>
> On Sun, 05 in alt.os.linux.mandrake -rwxrw-r-- wrote:
>
> 10.2 on 3 different computers with weird problems.
>
> That's funny.

You think that's funny? I don't find it funny at all. I said I was
experiencing weird problems with 10.2 on some of my machines. Nothing that
isn't easily worked around and certainly no threat to the stability of the
o/s itself. My work machines are running 10.1 and have no problems
whatsoever. That's more than I can say for that toy operating system you
run. Even those running 10.2 are still running with much more stability and
free from malware threats than the Toy Operating System from MickeyMouse.

--
I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:48:01 PM

Stalker.

> In article <N9%Se.461$JN5.39@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
> @seedsv.com says...
>> Stalker.
>
> Your posts are very close to violating your ISP's acceptable use policy,
> do you want to go there?
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:56:12 PM

In article <lx%Se.469$JN5.57@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Stalker.

Do you have something related to Windows to post or are you just trying
to purposely violate your ISP's rules of conduct?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:32:23 PM

Stalker stop bothering me.

> In article <lx%Se.469$JN5.57@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
> @seedsv.com says...
>> Stalker.
>
> Do you have something related to Windows to post or are you just trying
> to purposely violate your ISP's rules of conduct?
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:57:50 PM

On Monday 05 September 2005 10:48 am, David H. Lipman had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> From: "-rwxrw-r--" <nostop@stopspam.com>
>

> | I wasn't talking about hijack logs. I don't really care about hijack
> | logs as I'm not running that toy operating system.
> |
> | --
> | I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
> | No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
> | The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.
>
> If you don't run the OS then what are you doing here ?
>
> Aren't you just Trolling ?

Cut the LIP. man. Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

--
I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:57:51 PM

From: "-rwxrw-r--" <nostop@stopspam.com>

| Cut the LIP. man. Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)
|
| --
| I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
| No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
| The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.

You wouldn't be the first ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:02:05 PM

On Monday 05 September 2005 10:56 am, Leythos had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> In article <lx%Se.469$JN5.57@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
> @seedsv.com says...
>> Stalker.
>
> Do you have something related to Windows to post or are you just trying
> to purposely violate your ISP's rules of conduct?

Hey Leythos, after watching your ongoing tirade that was all about New
Orleans and TOTALLY off topic with this ng and amounted to a couple dozen
posts (I'd guess), I'd suggest you put a lid on it already. You're talking
about rules of conduct and OT posting? Well geeze, reminds me of kettles
and pots.

--
I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:20:33 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:37:39 +0000, -rwxrw-r-- wrote:

> On Monday 05 September 2005 10:02 am, Incognitus had this to say in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:02:56 +0000, -rwxrw-r-- wrote:
>>
>> "I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
>> No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
>> The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out."
>>
>> On Sun, 05 in alt.os.linux.mandrake -rwxrw-r-- wrote:
>>
>> 10.2 on 3 different computers with weird problems.
>>
>> That's funny.
>
> You think that's funny? I don't find it funny at all. I said I was
> experiencing weird problems with 10.2 on some of my machines. Nothing that
> isn't easily worked around and certainly no threat to the stability of the
> o/s itself. My work machines are running 10.1 and have no problems
> whatsoever. That's more than I can say for that toy operating system you
> run.

I run several OS's, which one are you suggesting is a toy, the 10.2
version? I'm not having any problems with 10.2.

But then I've no problems with Windows either. Perhaps you're doing
something wrong like spending to much time creating signatures. :)