Dumbo

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

Hi, recently I have received three files via the internet. I download and
save them into my folder, but then cannot open them, the message tells me to
open from a program and I am using internet explorer to do this, but when I
click on the files they won't let me open them - what am I doing wrong?

I am pretty new to this so need plain language thanks.

Regards
Helen

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

What are the extensions of the filenames?

ie the bit after the "." in the name of the files you have received

eg
file1.doc (extension is "doc")
file2.txt (extension is "txt")

?

Jon

"dumbo" <dumbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, recently I have received three files via the internet. I download and
> save them into my folder, but then cannot open them, the message tells me
> open from a program and I am using internet explorer to do this, but when
> click on the files they won't let me open them - what am I doing wrong?
>
> I am pretty new to this so need plain language thanks.
>
> Regards
> Helen

You are better off asking for the Description as extensions are hidden on most computers.

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message news:%23AJkI7trFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> What are the extensions of the filenames?
>
> ie the bit after the "." in the name of the files you have received
>
> eg
> file1.doc (extension is "doc")
> file2.txt (extension is "txt")
>
> ?
>
> Jon
>

> "dumbo" <dumbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, recently I have received three files via the internet. I download and
>> save them into my folder, but then cannot open them, the message tells me
>> open from a program and I am using internet explorer to do this, but when
>> click on the files they won't let me open them - what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I am pretty new to this so need plain language thanks.
>>
>> Regards
>> Helen

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Yes, good point

Jon

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You are better off asking for the Description as extensions are hidden on
most computers.

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> What are the extensions of the filenames?
>
> ie the bit after the "." in the name of the files you have received
>
> eg
> file1.doc (extension is "doc")
> file2.txt (extension is "txt")
>
> ?
>
> Jon
>

> "dumbo" <dumbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, recently I have received three files via the internet. I download
>> and
>> save them into my folder, but then cannot open them, the message tells me
>> open from a program and I am using internet explorer to do this, but when
>> click on the files they won't let me open them - what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I am pretty new to this so need plain language thanks.
>>
>> Regards
>> Helen

Thanks for your replies but still don't know what to do as these files only
show up as Dot. or pdf. I am wondering if maybe it is something to do with
Firewall although my daughter sent me some photos and I can open them ok.
thanks, I still need lots of help for this problem.

"dumbo" wrote:

> Hi, recently I have received three files via the internet. I download and
> save them into my folder, but then cannot open them, the message tells me to
> open from a program and I am using internet explorer to do this, but when I
> click on the files they won't let me open them - what am I doing wrong?
>
> I am pretty new to this so need plain language thanks.
>
> Regards
> Helen

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

To view the pdf files, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat (Adobe Reader)
installed.

You can see if it is installed already by looking in
Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

You may have a copy of Adobe Acrobat on disk somewhere, or you can download
it.

[You can also download smaller past versions of the program via that page]

Jon

"re My post on the 9/1/2005" <re My post on the
9/1/2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your replies but still don't know what to do as these files
> only
> show up as Dot. or pdf. I am wondering if maybe it is something to do
> with
> Firewall although my daughter sent me some photos and I can open them ok.
> thanks, I still need lots of help for this problem.
>
> "dumbo" wrote:
>
>> Hi, recently I have received three files via the internet. I download
>> and
>> save them into my folder, but then cannot open them, the message tells me
>> open from a program and I am using internet explorer to do this, but when
>> click on the files they won't let me open them - what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I am pretty new to this so need plain language thanks.
>>
>> Regards
>> Helen

Malke

Jon wrote:

> To view the pdf files, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat (Adobe
> Reader) installed.
>
> You can see if it is installed already by looking in
> Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
>
> You may have a copy of Adobe Acrobat on disk somewhere, or you can
> download it.
>
> "re My post on the 9/1/2005" <re My post on the
> 9/1/2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your replies but still don't know what to do as these
>> files only
>> show up as Dot. or pdf. I am wondering if maybe it is something to
>> do with
>> Firewall although my daughter sent me some photos and I can open them
>> ok. thanks, I still need lots of help for this problem.

Jon already told you how to handle the .pdf files. The ".dot" extension
means this is a Microsoft Word template. It is more probable that your
daughter sent you a ".doc" file, which is a Microsoft Word document.
You need to have Microsoft Word installed or another program that can
open Word files, such as OpenOffice or WordPerfect. You can also
download a viewer if you just want to look at the file:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers