Closed Solved

OEM windows from pre-built PC into a new PC

Alright so a year ago I bought a Lenovo PC and it came with Windows Home Premium 64-bit. Im now planning on putting together a new PC but using the same HDD. The only part I will be keeping thats from the original PC would be the HDD and possibly RAM. The windows copy is apparently OEM (According to Jellybean Keyfinder) so will I have any problems with this? If so what can I do to fix it?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows built
  1. Technically the Windows lives and dies with any and all hardware in the PC, this is the problem with these PCs. If i were you I would check with Lenovo just to be sure.
  2. Best answer
    OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
  3. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the fast answer.
  4. Best answer selected by bwathke.
  5. YOUR WELCOME!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives OEM Windows 7