OEM windows from pre-built PC into a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwathke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Alright so a year ago I bought a Lenovo PC and it came with Windows Home Premium 64-bit. Im now planning on putting together a new PC but using the same HDD. The only part I will be keeping thats from the original PC would be the HDD and possibly RAM. The windows copy is apparently OEM (According to Jellybean Keyfinder) so will I have any problems with this? If so what can I do to fix it?

Solution
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Solution

bwathke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the fast answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS