Uh oh... PalmOne going to PocketPC?

November 17, 2004 11:48:02 PM

I'm surprised that I haven't seen this posted here yet. PalmOne has
apparently been testing out Microsoft and Linux PDA OS alternatives.
Could this be why we haven't seen any PalmOS6 devices almost a year
after PalmSource released it to manufacturers?

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5438347.html

PalmOne ponders Microsoft, Linux options
Handheld-computer maker PalmOne is considering moves that would take it
beyond the operating system that helped make the company a household
name.

The Milpitas, Calif.-based firm has evaluated both Microsoft-based
operating systems as well as at least one version of Linux as a
potential alternative operating system to the Palm OS for its handheld
devices, CNET News.com has learned.

Sources familiar with the tests said PalmOne has been quietly exploring
operating systems to augment the Palm OS for some time. The company has
also been exploring partnerships that could let it use a tailored
version of the Linux OS to run on its devices, according to a source
familiar with the company's efforts.

The tests could presage a blow to Palm OS owner PalmSource, which
counts PalmOne as its largest customer. All PalmOne devices currently
use the Palm OS. <snip>

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Decafalon: The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only
things that are good for you.

More about : palmone pocketpc

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 10:16:47 AM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> I'm surprised that I haven't seen this posted here yet. PalmOne has
> apparently been testing out Microsoft and Linux PDA OS alternatives.
> Could this be why we haven't seen any PalmOS6 devices almost a year
> after PalmSource released it to manufacturers?

Nah, I think the problem with OS 6 was probably just that 6.0 was
not ready for prime time, which is why 6.1 exists already.

And yes, there has been the rumor that palmOne might do a Windows
or Linux device, but even if they do, that does not mean they will
suddenly drop Palm OS devices.

- Logan
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 10:16:48 AM

Begin Logan Shaw quote:

; And yes, there has been the rumor that palmOne might do a Windows
; or Linux device, but even if they do, that does not mean they will
; suddenly drop Palm OS devices.

True, and they are under a contract worth $40/year to PalmSource
through 2006 anyway. But if the company that built the PalmOS and
carries the Palm name itself starts making PDAs with "the competition"
OS, what signal does that send to consumers? That would be like Apple
selling WindowsXP computers.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

DISCLAIMER: Terms and conditions subject to change without notice.
November 18, 2004 12:58:54 PM

In article
news:<1ivnp0t6je3m4ts6o0g4n5ci2i986vcrs0@news20.forteinc.com>, Jeffrey
Kaplan wrote:
> [PalmOne] has evaluated both Microsoft-based
> operating systems as well as at least one version of Linux as a
> potential alternative operating system to the Palm OS for its handheld
> devices, CNET News.com has learned.

Well, if I were they I'd be evaluating things like that too. I might
have no wish or intention ever to use those things, but I'd certainly
want to know whether it was feasible, and what the advantages and
disadvantages of doing so might be.

I's also want to be able to go back to PalmSource and say "You say it's
because our hardware is slow that feature X of PalmOS isn't working well
on the Y prototype hardware ... but look, it runs like a dream when
driven by rival OS Z ...".

... or maybe "Gee, you're charging us N% more for PalmOS Version P than
company Q want for their OS version R ... how about a discount to
persuade us not to switch?".

It may also be that PalmOne have an opportunity to steal some bespoke
hardware business form another manufacturer if they can build cheaper
hardware that runs an existing WinCE (say) application. That sort of
business might be worth going after.

There could be any number of hidden agendas, here.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Trying to look on the bright side.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 3:33:26 PM

Begin Jeffrey Kaplan quote:

; Begin Logan Shaw quote:
;
; ; And yes, there has been the rumor that palmOne might do a Windows
; ; or Linux device, but even if they do, that does not mean they will
; ; suddenly drop Palm OS devices.
;
; True, and they are under a contract worth $40/year to PalmSource

Erm, that's $40M/year.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

DISCLAIMER: Postage will be paid by addressee.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 10:20:50 PM

In article <1ivnp0t6je3m4ts6o0g4n5ci2i986vcrs0@news20.forteinc.com>,
Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:

> I'm surprised that I haven't seen this posted here yet. PalmOne has
> apparently been testing out Microsoft and Linux PDA OS alternatives.

It's not news. PalmOne and Palm before it have played with other OSs. It's
part of their job. Do you think Microsoft has never tested the Palm OS?

See Colligan, of PalmOne's, responses to being questioned about this. You
can google them.

> Could this be why we haven't seen any PalmOS6 devices almost a year
> after PalmSource released it to manufacturers?

PalmOne is contractually bound to sell something like $40 million worth of
Palm OS devices a year through 2006 or 2007. So the answer is no.

PalmOne never been the trailblazer in the Palm device world. Sony was.

BTW, you should see some Cobalt devices early next year from Samsung and
some other licensees.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 11:31:32 PM

Guy Bannis wrote:
> It's not news. PalmOne and Palm before it have played with other OSs. It's
> part of their job. Do you think Microsoft has never tested the Palm OS?

Sort of similar in a way to how Apple has at times (supposedly) had
versions of Mac OS that run on PC hardware.

And if you want to go a step further, I believe there was even a
Mac several years ago that contained a 486 processor (or something)
in addition to its regular processor and ran both Mac OS and Windows.

- Logan
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 11:32:10 PM

Begin Guy Bannis quote:

; It's not news. PalmOne and Palm before it have played with other OSs. It's
; part of their job. Do you think Microsoft has never tested the Palm OS?

The gist of the article is not that they are evaluating the
competition, which any sane company does, but that they are evaluating
whether or not to make devices that run the other systems. Like if
Apple were to start making Windows machines, or IBM were to start
selling Solaris systems.

; > Could this be why we haven't seen any PalmOS6 devices almost a year
; > after PalmSource released it to manufacturers?
;
; PalmOne is contractually bound to sell something like $40 million worth of
; Palm OS devices a year through 2006 or 2007. So the answer is no.

In the short term, certainly. But when that contract expires?

; PalmOne never been the trailblazer in the Palm device world. Sony was.

And now Sony has effectively pulled out of the PalmOS world, only
continuing in Japan. My guess is that if they return to PDAs it will
be with either RIM or, more likely, Symbian or something from MS.

; BTW, you should see some Cobalt devices early next year from Samsung and
; some other licensees.

I'd like to see something from Kyocera.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Actual label instructions on consumer goods:
On a Korean kitchen knife: Warning keep out of children.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 4:41:31 AM

In article <duiqp05a9qoqk8tkf146psa6t566gud76u@news20.forteinc.com>,
Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:

> Begin Guy Bannis quote:
>
> ; It's not news. PalmOne and Palm before it have played with other OSs. It's
> ; part of their job. Do you think Microsoft has never tested the Palm OS?
>
> The gist of the article is not that they are evaluating the
> competition, which any sane company does, but that they are evaluating
> whether or not to make devices that run the other systems. Like if
> Apple were to start making Windows machines, or IBM were to start
> selling Solaris systems.

I actually think it would be a logical thing to do, especially now that
PalmOne is a hardware company.

Did you look up Colligan's response as I suggested? This really is a
persistent rumor about PalmOne/Palm. And PalmOne/Palm have apparently
never denied it outright.

Did you know that Microsoft is a Palm OS licensee?
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 5:24:19 AM

Begin Guy Bannis quote:

; I actually think it would be a logical thing to do, especially now that
; PalmOne is a hardware company.
;
; Did you look up Colligan's response as I suggested? This really is a

No, because there isn't enough specific keywording for me to make an
effective search.

; persistent rumor about PalmOne/Palm. And PalmOne/Palm have apparently
; never denied it outright.
;
; Did you know that Microsoft is a Palm OS licensee?

No. Are there reports of them considering building a PalmOS device, or
are they merely keeping an eye on the competition?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge." Scott Adams
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 10:48:02 AM

In article <rm7rp0tqblghsegges0f22t07pto1vjg8d@news20.forteinc.com>,
Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:

> Begin Guy Bannis quote:
>
> ; I actually think it would be a logical thing to do, especially now that
> ; PalmOne is a hardware company.
> ;
> ; Did you look up Colligan's response as I suggested? This really is a
>
> No, because there isn't enough specific keywording for me to make an
> effective search.

Try these:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7260
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7288
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:36:33 PM

In article <duiqp05a9qoqk8tkf146psa6t566gud76u@news20.forteinc.com>,
Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:
>Begin Guy Bannis quote:
>
>; It's not news. PalmOne and Palm before it have played with other OSs. It's
>; part of their job. Do you think Microsoft has never tested the Palm OS?
>
>The gist of the article is not that they are evaluating the
>competition, which any sane company does, but that they are evaluating
>whether or not to make devices that run the other systems. Like if
>Apple were to start making Windows machines, or IBM were to start
>selling Solaris systems.

In the distant past Sun did have a port of Solaris for Power PC, and
there was an IBM part number so that you could order it from your IBM
sales rep to run on your PPC based RS/6000 machines.

I suspect that by now all the bodies have been buried and no one at
either companies remembers this product. (Sort of like Adobe
Photoshop for Solaris(SPARC).)

--
Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
reynolds@panix.com | You push some buttons and see

Begin Guy Bannis quote:

; In article <rm7rp0tqblghsegges0f22t07pto1vjg8d@news20.forteinc.com>,
; Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:
;
; > Begin Guy Bannis quote:
; >
; > ; I actually think it would be a logical thing to do, especially now that
; > ; PalmOne is a hardware company.
; > ;
; > ; Did you look up Colligan's response as I suggested? This really is a
; >
; > No, because there isn't enough specific keywording for me to make an
; > effective search.
;
; Try these:
;
; http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7260

The statement is syntactically empty. Mr. Christensen did not
contradict the reports and/or rumors.

; http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7288

And, apparently, the same can be said about Mr. Colligan's statement.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:42:54 AM

In article <96tsp05ig70s0pj2je3a33su24ao0cm9r3@news20.forteinc.com>,
Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:

> Begin Guy Bannis quote:
>
> ; In article <rm7rp0tqblghsegges0f22t07pto1vjg8d@news20.forteinc.com>,
> ; Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:
> ;
> ; > Begin Guy Bannis quote:
> ; >
> ; > ; I actually think it would be a logical thing to do, especially now that
> ; > ; PalmOne is a hardware company.
> ; > ;
> ; > ; Did you look up Colligan's response as I suggested? This really is a
> ; >
> ; > No, because there isn't enough specific keywording for me to make an
> ; > effective search.
> ;
> ; Try these:
> ;
> ; http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7260
>
> The statement is syntactically empty. Mr. Christensen did not
> contradict the reports and/or rumors.
>
> ; http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7288
>
> And, apparently, the same can be said about Mr. Colligan's statement.

As I said in my first reply to you, the rumor is persistent and
PalmOne/Palm has never denied it outright.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:02:17 AM

On 19 Nov 2004 17:36:33 -0500, reynolds@panix.com (Brian Reynolds)
wrote:

>In the distant past Sun did have a port of Solaris for Power PC, and
>there was an IBM part number so that you could order it from your IBM
>sales rep to run on your PPC based RS/6000 machines.

And let's not forget that IBM *does* do Linux systems now - albeit
mostly in their server market... :)
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 10:43:58 AM

Brian Reynolds wrote:

> In article <duiqp05a9qoqk8tkf146psa6t566gud76u@news20.forteinc.com>,
> Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:

>>Apple were to start making Windows machines, or IBM were to start
>>selling Solaris systems.

> In the distant past Sun did have a port of Solaris for Power PC, and
> there was an IBM part number so that you could order it from your IBM
> sales rep to run on your PPC based RS/6000 machines.

Solaris 2.5.1 for PowerPC. I never used it, but I did see patches
for available on Sun's support web site, just like they had patches
for x86 and for SPARC.

What's even more interesting than that is that Microsoft actually
made a version of Windows for the PowerPC! They even sold it in
boxes in retail stores. I have actually seen this running myself,
on a machine that looked a lot like a regular PC but happened to
have a PowerPC inside instead of a Pentium or 486.

I guess all this is just a consequence of the fact that at some
point in about 1995 or so, everyone really thought the open
PowerPC platform might take over and push the PC out, so everyone
hedged their bets by porting their operating system to it.

Kind of like lots of people did with their operating systems in
about 1999 or 2000 with the Intel Merced (a/k/a Itanium): IBM
ported RS/6000 to it, and also Sun ported Solaris to it. In fact,
Sun was the first company to have an operating system running on
the simulator for the Itanium, and then after there were huge
delays in shipping it, Sun put it on the back burner and started
complaining that they'd invested all this money in porting to a
chip which turned out to be imaginary. Then when Intel finally
produced a chip a year or two behind schedule, they got mad at
Sun for not agreeing to support it, which I thought was funny
considering the past history.

- Logan
November 21, 2004 12:52:15 PM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:43:58 GMT, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

>What's even more interesting than that is that Microsoft actually
>made a version of Windows for the PowerPC!

Soon, the PowerPC processors will be running all of the gaming
consoles, including Microsoft's Xbox.

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
!