WinXP service pack 2

mh

I downloaded and installed the latest updates and find my system
tremendously slowed down. Is it from SP2?

"MH" wrote:
>I downloaded and installed the latest updates
> and find my system tremendously slowed down.
> Is it from SP2?

Probably. My WinXP Pro now takes forever to
load IE after installing SP2.

*TimDaniels*

IE is the same since tha patch of course, I only use to do Windows Update.

I prefer Firefox.

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "MH" wrote:
>>I downloaded and installed the latest updates
>> and find my system tremendously slowed down.
>> Is it from SP2?
>

> Probably. My WinXP Pro now takes forever to
> load IE after installing SP2.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Tell us what sytem you have and maybe we can tell you why.

"MH" <Nospam@aol.com> wrote in message news:e7Sbd.21$fP3.4@trndny05...
>I downloaded and installed the latest updates and find my system
>tremendously slowed down. Is it from SP2?

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "MH" wrote:
> >I downloaded and installed the latest updates
> > and find my system tremendously slowed down.
> > Is it from SP2?
>
> Probably. My WinXP Pro now takes forever to
> load IE after installing SP2.
>
> *TimDaniels*

I bought my daughter an Inspiron and it too slowed to a crawl with SP2.
I ended up uninstalling it.

She has the thing at college so I can't play with it now, but from browsing
the web, I've heard a few things about the problem.

One is that a lot of drivers have to be REINSTALLED after SP2. Uninstall
and reinstall the drivers.

There are some machines that need a BIOS update or they slow.

And finally, a lot of the issues seem to revolve around the firewall in SP2
and
systems with 'dual networks'. Her laptop has both the RJ-45 jack for 10/100
Ethernet and the wireless. She uses the 10/100 in her dorm room, and can
use the wireless around the house.

And evidently (some people claim) the slowdown is minor with a single
network,
but exponentially worse when you have multiple networks.

But as I said, I had to rip out the SP2 update from her machine and I don't
have
it to play with so I can't verify ANY of this from first hand knowledge.

mh

Dell dimension 8200/ 1.5 gb ram.
> Tell us what sytem you have and maybe we can tell you why.
>
> "MH" <Nospam@aol.com> wrote in message news:e7Sbd.21$fP3.4@trndny05...
>>I downloaded and installed the latest updates and find my system
>>tremendously slowed down. Is it from SP2?

TechWolf

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Try running Disk Defrag. One of the MS newsgroups had a post recommending
you should do this after you install SP2. Either way it won't hurt.

I had same problems. Ran defrag and everything is OK now.
Dell OptiPlex GX110, GX240, and SX260, and Inspiron 8200 systems

~TW

"Mike Yetsko" <joe@user.com> wrote in message

> "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
>> "MH" wrote:
>> >I downloaded and installed the latest updates
>> > and find my system tremendously slowed down.
>> > Is it from SP2?
>>
>> Probably. My WinXP Pro now takes forever to
>> load IE after installing SP2.
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>
> I bought my daughter an Inspiron and it too slowed to a crawl with SP2.
> I ended up uninstalling it.
>
> She has the thing at college so I can't play with it now, but from
> browsing
> the web, I've heard a few things about the problem.
>
> One is that a lot of drivers have to be REINSTALLED after SP2. Uninstall
> and reinstall the drivers.
>
> There are some machines that need a BIOS update or they slow.
>
> And finally, a lot of the issues seem to revolve around the firewall in
> SP2
> and
> systems with 'dual networks'. Her laptop has both the RJ-45 jack for
> 10/100
> Ethernet and the wireless. She uses the 10/100 in her dorm room, and can
> use the wireless around the house.
>
> And evidently (some people claim) the slowdown is minor with a single
> network,
> but exponentially worse when you have multiple networks.
>
> But as I said, I had to rip out the SP2 update from her machine and I
> don't
> have
> it to play with so I can't verify ANY of this from first hand knowledge.

TRENDING THREADS