Can't delete files

September 1, 2005 5:39:56 PM

Hi,

In our company we have the following problem:
Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted.
We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights to
delete it.

Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
paste it in the waste basket works also.

It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper. system
It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.

Does anyone know what's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Jan Driesen

More about : delete files

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 5:39:57 PM

The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the computer and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was open. But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said file will be gone

--
Peter

"Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message news:4316e88c$0$1826$6c56d894@reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> Hi,
>
> In our company we have the following problem:
> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted.
> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights to
> delete it.
>
> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>
> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper. system
> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jan Driesen

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:45:57 AM

Why do you think the file isn't open. But as you gave no details one cannot diagnosis. Your specific symptoms you list is possible for some open files.

"Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message news:4316e88c$0$1826$6c56d894@reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> Hi,
>
> In our company we have the following problem:
> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted.
> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights to
> delete it.
>
> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>
> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper. system
> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jan Driesen

September 2, 2005 2:27:16 AM

It's an executable file.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o $cnQ$urFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the computer and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was open. But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said file will be gone

--
Peter

"Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message news:4316e88c$0$1826$6c56d894@reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> Hi,
>
> In our company we have the following problem:
> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted.
> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights to
> delete it.
>
> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>
> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper. system
> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jan Driesen

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:27:17 AM

I start the computer.
Want to delete a file, witch is a word document, an exell, an access ...
file, (not an executable or dll).
The file cannot be deleted by puching on de delete button of the keyboard
but I can delete it by dragging to the waste basket, without rebooting. So
the file is not open.

Jan Driesen

"David Candy" <.> schreef in bericht
It's an executable file.

----------------------
news:o $cnQ$urFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the computer
and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was open.
But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said file
will be gone

--
Peter

"Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In our company we have the following problem:
> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be
deleted.
> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights
> delete it.
>
> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>
> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper.
system
> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jan Driesen

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:27:17 AM

I did not see that in the OP' original post that it is an exe. In any case when the above happens it is usually a file that is in use from my limited experience

--
Peter

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:%23F%239BCvrFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
It's an executable file.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o $cnQ$urFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the computer and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was open. But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said file will be gone

--
Peter

"Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message news:4316e88c$0$1826$6c56d894@reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> Hi,
>
> In our company we have the following problem:
> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted.
> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights to
> delete it.
>
> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>
> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper. system
> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jan Driesen

September 2, 2005 2:27:18 AM

> I start the computer.
> Want to delete a file, witch is a word document, an exell, an access ...
> file, (not an executable or dll).
> The file cannot be deleted by puching on de delete button of the keyboard
> but I can delete it by dragging to the waste basket, without rebooting. So
> the file is not open.
>
> Jan Driesen
>

> "David Candy" <.> schreef in bericht
> It's an executable file.

> ----------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o $cnQ$urFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the computer
> and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was open.
> But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said file
> will be gone
>
> --
> Peter

> "Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> In our company we have the following problem:
>> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
>> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be
> deleted.
>> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights
>> delete it.
>>
>> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
>> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>>
>> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper.
> system
>> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>>
>> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jan Driesen

What about Right Click>Delete

Chas
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:27:19 AM

In the explorer, I made a copy of a file.
Select the copy and try to delete it with the delete button on the keyboard.
After a while I got the message that the file is in use.
Select the file again, right click and choose delete.
The file is deleted.

"Chas" <charles@prattindustriestheobvious.wanadoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht

> "Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message
> >
> > I start the computer.
> > Want to delete a file, witch is a word document, an exell, an access ...
> > file, (not an executable or dll).
> > The file cannot be deleted by puching on de delete button of the
keyboard
> > but I can delete it by dragging to the waste basket, without rebooting.
So
> > the file is not open.
> >
> > Jan Driesen
> >

> > "David Candy" <.> schreef in bericht
> > It's an executable file.
> >
> > --

> > ----------------------
> > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o $cnQ$urFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the
computer
> > and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was
open.
> > But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said
file
> > will be gone
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> >
> > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
> > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
> >
> > "Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In our company we have the following problem:
> >> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> >> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be
> > deleted.
> >> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the
rights
> >> delete it.
> >>
> >> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file
and
> >> paste it in the waste basket works also.
> >>
> >> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper.
> > system
> >> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what's wrong.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Jan Driesen
> >>

> What about Right Click>Delete
>
> Chas

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:32:04 AM

Because open executables files can be moved or renamed but not deleted.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uPH444vrFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I did not see that in the OP' original post that it is an exe. In any case when the above happens it is usually a file that is in use from my limited experience

--
Peter

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:%23F%239BCvrFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
It's an executable file.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o $cnQ$urFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the computer and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was open. But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said file will be gone

--
Peter

"Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message news:4316e88c$0$1826$6c56d894@reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> Hi,
>
> In our company we have the following problem:
> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted.
> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights to
> delete it.
>
> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>
> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper. system
> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jan Driesen

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:32:05 AM

TY

--
Peter

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:%23ZXYvHwrFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Because open executables files can be moved or renamed but not deleted.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uPH444vrFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I did not see that in the OP' original post that it is an exe. In any case when the above happens it is usually a file that is in use from my limited experience

--
Peter

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:%23F%239BCvrFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
It's an executable file.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o $cnQ$urFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The file is open. Just as a test next time it happens reboot the computer and then go back and delete it. If then it deletes then the file was open. But I bet you that when you reboot and go to delete the file the said file will be gone

--
Peter

"Jan Driesen" <jan.driesen@ergon.be> wrote in message news:4316e88c$0$1826$6c56d894@reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> Hi,
>
> In our company we have the following problem:
> Deleting a file by pushing de delete button on the keyboard gives after
> approx. 30 seconds a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted.
> We know for sure that the file is not in use and that we have the rights to
> delete it.
>
> Dragging the file to the waste basket gives no problem. Cut the file and
> paste it in the waste basket works also.
>
> It happens on a lot of computers and they have all a Xindows XP oper. system
> It happens in approx. 30% of the cases and it is verry annoying.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jan Driesen

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:06:05 AM

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

I copy a file in the explorer.
Select the copy of the file and push the delete button on the keyboard.
I get the message that the file is open.
Right click en choose delete from the pop up menu.

!