Warning about Dell Europe

I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
here and in other appropriate newsgroups.

Here are my issues:
1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
one. The other two packages were not delivered.
3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
ordered it.
4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
apartment.
5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
the other two packages.
6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
7. A week later they did so.
8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
bank account for the refund.
9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
responds.
11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.

Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
them?

I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
from them.

Rita Goldberg

On 15 Oct 2004 08:57:35 -0700, Rita Goldberg wrote in

> I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
> for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
> of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
> here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
>
> Here are my issues:
> 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
> 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
> one. The other two packages were not delivered.
> 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
> three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
> and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
> ordered it.

Was that the time Dell gave on their website or over the phone when you
ordered it that it would be delivered by?

> 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
> there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
> apartment.
> 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
> agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
> monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
> the other two packages.

It sounds to me like your packages had the wrong address, were delivered to
the wrong place, or UPS has a driver with questionable honesty. Did you
check to make sure you gave Dell your correct address or that they had the
correct address on the labels? Maybe someone at Dell typed it in wrong?
If I give an address over the phone I always have them read it back to me.

So far, this sounds like a problem with UPS, not Dell but Dell surely isn't
squeaky clean here by not getting on UPS about the problems.

> 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
> 7. A week later they did so.
> 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
> bank account for the refund.
> 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
> 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> responds.

Did you try calling them?

> 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.

I doubt the police will be able to do anything more than tell you to get a
lawyer and take them to civil court. Dell committed no crime here, they're
just doing a bad job. UPS, on the other hand, might want to look into
their driver.

> Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> them?
>
> I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> from them.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Dell in Europe. I don't
see if I'll ever be using them since I live here in the states, but I do
know I won't use UPS if I'm shipping something to Europe. Heck, I don't
even use them here in the states. :)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this newsgroup?

It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis of an
unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing the
other side of the story?

In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and garnered
some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but what
have you really accomplished?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
> for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
> of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
> here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
>
> Here are my issues:
> 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
> 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
> one. The other two packages were not delivered.
> 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
> three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
> and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
> ordered it.
> 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
> there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
> apartment.
> 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
> agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
> monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
> the other two packages.
> 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
> 7. A week later they did so.
> 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
> bank account for the refund.
> 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
> 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> responds.
> 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
>
> Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> them?
>
> I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> from them.
>
> Rita Goldberg

Ted,

> You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this
> newsgroup?

I wouldn't call this post a flame. If you want to see flames, try rec.scuba,
lots of flames.

> It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
> expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis of
> an
> unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing the
> other side of the story?

That's sort of the nature of news groups isn't it? It's not exactly the
presidental debates.

> In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and garnered
> some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but what
> have you really accomplished?

I would think he gave thoughts to consider if a reader of this group is from
Spain.

Paul

> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
>> I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
>> for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
>> of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
>> here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
>>
>> Here are my issues:
>> 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
>> 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
>> one. The other two packages were not delivered.
>> 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
>> three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
>> and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
>> ordered it.
>> 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
>> there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
>> apartment.
>> 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
>> agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
>> monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
>> the other two packages.
>> 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
>> 7. A week later they did so.
>> 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
>> bank account for the refund.
>> 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
>> 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
>> responds.
>> 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
>> been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
>> two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
>> on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
>>
>> Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
>> luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
>> reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
>> them?
>>
>> I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
>> wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
>> from them.
>>
>> Rita Goldberg

What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to them
and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this is
first message of this type in this NG.

> You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this
newsgroup?

> It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
> expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis of
an
> unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing the
> other side of the story?
>
> In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and garnered
> some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but what
> have you really accomplished?
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> > I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
> > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
> > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
> > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
> >
> > Here are my issues:
> > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
> > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
> > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
> > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
> > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
> > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
> > ordered it.
> > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
> > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
> > apartment.
> > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
> > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
> > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
> > the other two packages.
> > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
> > 7. A week later they did so.
> > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
> > bank account for the refund.
> > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
> > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> > responds.
> > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
> >
> > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> > them?
> >
> > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> > from them.
> >
> > Rita Goldberg

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:22:52 GMT, hicow wrote in

> What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to them
> and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this is
> first message of this type in this NG.

I believe "caution" should be used when dealing with any company especially
when you receive a product through the mail. One of the biggest things is
to make sure the company sending you the product you paid for has the
correct mailing address and that if you have an odd or different address
that there are instructions included to find the place you want the item
delivered to.

Of course, in this case I believe we're only getting half of the story.

:)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
>I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
> for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
> of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
> here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
>
> Here are my issues:
> 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
> 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
> one. The other two packages were not delivered.
> 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
> three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
> and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
> ordered it.
> 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
> there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
> apartment.
> 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
> agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
> monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
> the other two packages.
> 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
> 7. A week later they did so.
> 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
> bank account for the refund.
> 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
> 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> responds.
> 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
>
> Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> them?
>
> I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> from them.
>
> Rita Goldberg

I had a somewhat similar problem with Dell in the US.

Dell badly messed up an accessory order and after much back and forth,
agreed to compensate me $100 for my trouble-- also to be posted in 21 days.
The time came and went without any money coming my way, after numerous
interchanges-- both phone and email-- said they would re-post/re-credit
which they never did. I eventually returned the original item (a high end
digital camera) and when they refused a refund, I had to dispute the charge
to my credit card company and get them to do a charge back.

The final insult: Dell eventually said they would still send me the $100 to
express their regret for how they mishandled the whole thing--- but they
never did!!

I haven't purchased anything additional from Dell since. I also talked the
IT director of my company into removing them from their vendor list (we were
buying 30-40 Dell laptops a year). My company likes our new IBM's;-)

Edw.

David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message news:<xc16pjocf0x9.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>...
> On 15 Oct 2004 08:57:35 -0700, Rita Goldberg wrote in
>
> > I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
> > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
> > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
> > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
> >
> > Here are my issues:
> > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
> > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
> > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
> > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
> > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
> > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
> > ordered it.
>
> Was that the time Dell gave on their website or over the phone when you
> ordered it that it would be delivered by?
No, this was long after the date Dell gave me originally. They called
me in Madrid to tell me the shipment would be delivered, but it
wasn't, and no one at tell would tell me anything. After a week--which
I guess is their standard time for working with UPS to search for lost
items-- and after many e-mails and calls, I finally managed to speak
with someone at Dell. Essentially, the person asked that they be
given another chance. She agreed to my deadline for delivery of the
three packages.
> > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
> > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
> > apartment.
> > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
> > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
> > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
> > the other two packages.
>
> It sounds to me like your packages had the wrong address, were delivered to
> the wrong place, or UPS has a driver with questionable honesty. Did you
> check to make sure you gave Dell your correct address or that they had the
> correct address on the labels? Maybe someone at Dell typed it in wrong?
> If I give an address over the phone I always have them read it back to me.
> So far, this sounds like a problem with UPS, not Dell but Dell surely isn't
> squeaky clean here by not getting on UPS about the problems.

My order was placed online, and the address was correct and perfectly
clear. I can't know who is at fault here, Dell or UPS, but Dell was
most unresponsive. On the day of my deadline, UPS called to say that
they would deliver the three packages separately. The CPU arrived in
the morning, and after debating with myself, I accepted it. The other
two packages never did come, apparently because of an address problem.

> > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
> > 7. A week later they did so.
> > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
> > bank account for the refund.
> > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
> > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> > responds.
>
> Did you try calling them?
Of course, but (1) the person can't/won't tell me anything or (2) they
don't return my calls.

> > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
>
> I doubt the police will be able to do anything more than tell you to get a
> lawyer and take them to civil court. Dell committed no crime here, they're
> just doing a bad job. UPS, on the other hand, might want to look into
> their driver.
Although it's quite possible that the police can't do much, I want to
get this matter on the record. Have you noticed the number of
messages about problems that are similar to mine?

> > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> > them?
> >
> > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> > from them.
>
> Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Dell in Europe. I don't
> see if I'll ever be using them since I live here in the states, but I do
> know I won't use UPS if I'm shipping something to Europe. Heck, I don't
> even use them here in the states. :)
>
> Dave

Dave,
It's really quite hard to say who is at fault, Dell or UPS. In any
case, Dell computers in Europe come from Ireland and the Netherlands.
The truth is that I've never had any problems with UPS in the U.S. or
in Spain. Another thing, when the CPU was finally picked up, it
wasn't UPS but some other company that specializes in shipping
computers.

There seems to have been quite a bit of incompetence at play here. In
addition, the people at Dell have been extremely unhelpful. There's
just no way to pry information out of them. I don't know if this is
an outsourcing issue or not. Dell used to have a setup in Madrid, but
they are now located in France. Support for Spain seems to come from
several different places in the country.

Rita

Exactly. Of course, I wanted to vent, but I also wanted to make
others aware of problems that can arise when ordering from Dell in
Europe (or, at least, Spain). Since I assume that someone at Dell
monitors this newsgroup, I'm also hopeful that they will eventually
take steps to correct the problems.

"hicow" <hicow@att.net> wrote in message news:<MHTbd.702012$Gx4.332183@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> [...]
> > > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> > > responds.
> > > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> > > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> > > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> > > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
> > >
> > > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> > > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> > > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> > > them?
> > >
> > > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> > > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> > > from them.
> > >
> > > Rita Goldberg

"Since I assume that someone at Dell monitors this newsgroup..."

That's not correct. This is a public newsgroup about Dell hardware. It is
not operated by Dell or connected in any way with Dell.

> Exactly. Of course, I wanted to vent, but I also wanted to make
> others aware of problems that can arise when ordering from Dell in
> Europe (or, at least, Spain). Since I assume that someone at Dell
> monitors this newsgroup, I'm also hopeful that they will eventually
> take steps to correct the problems.
>
> "hicow" <hicow@att.net> wrote in message
>> What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to
>> them
>> and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this
>> is
>> first message of this type in this NG.
>>

>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> > You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this
>> newsgroup?
>> >
>> > It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
>> > expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis
>> > of
>> an
>> > unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing
>> > the
>> > other side of the story?
>> >
>> > In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and
>> > garnered
>> > some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but
>> > what
>> > have you really accomplished?
>> > --
>> > Ted Zieglar
>> >

>> > "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

At the end of the day this is what the global market is all about ie having
the choice to choose - and IMHO every major company will have had customers
with similar complaints somewhere in the world, and it doesn't matter who
the company is Dell, IBM, HP whoever, for every bad experiance 1 customer
has, they have 1000's of satisfied customers and at this moment in time the
good out weighs the bad experiances and that goes for every major producer
of goods they are big enough to take the knocks. While I can empathise with
your anger and frustration and you have every right to "vent your Spleen"
but in the end I dont think it would make much difference to Dell
"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
>I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
> for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
> of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
> here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
>
> Here are my issues:
> 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
> 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
> one. The other two packages were not delivered.
> 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
> three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
> and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
> ordered it.
> 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
> there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
> apartment.
> 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
> agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
> monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
> the other two packages.
> 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
> 7. A week later they did so.
> 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
> bank account for the refund.
> 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
> 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> responds.
> 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
>
> Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> them?
>
> I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> from them.
>
> Rita Goldberg

Steve,

Companies ignore or ill treat their customers at their own peril. My
university did not renew a large contract with Dell a couple of years
ago, largely because of poor service, and this year we dropped
Blackboard because they gave poor service at the same time that they
raised their prices unreasonably. When this happens too often, your
bad reputation keeps you from attracting new customers. It doesn't
take an MBA--which I'm not--to know that good customer relations are
at the heart of any successful business.

Rita

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<cktdpk$1hk$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> At the end of the day this is what the global market is all about ie having
> the choice to choose - and IMHO every major company will have had customers
> with similar complaints somewhere in the world, and it doesn't matter who
> the company is Dell, IBM, HP whoever, for every bad experiance 1 customer
> has, they have 1000's of satisfied customers and at this moment in time the
> good out weighs the bad experiances and that goes for every major producer
> of goods they are big enough to take the knocks. While I can empathise with
> your anger and frustration and you have every right to "vent your Spleen"
> but in the end I dont think it would make much difference to Dell
> "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> >I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
> > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
> > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
> > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
> >
> > Here are my issues:
> > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
> > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
> > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
> > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
> > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
> > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
> > ordered it.
> > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
> > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
> > apartment.
> > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
> > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
> > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
> > the other two packages.
> > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
> > 7. A week later they did so.
> > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
> > bank account for the refund.
> > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
> > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
> > responds.
> > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
> > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
> > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
> > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
> >
> > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
> > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
> > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
> > them?
> >
> > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
> > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
> > from them.
> >
> > Rita Goldberg

"Caution" is certainly a good watchword, Dave. It's one reason why I
prefer ordering online since you have a written record of your order
and an e-mail confirmation from the vendor. In my case, the address is
perfectly normal and appears correctly on my order. As for only
having half the story, you are right here, also. It would be great to
hear from Dell with their side. That, precisely, is one of my main
issues: the lack of communication on Dell's part. I have some theories
and some suggestions on this topic, but there's no point in setting
them out here if Dell is not listening.

Rita

David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message news:<2q2fwoaenxrj.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:22:52 GMT, hicow wrote in
>
> > What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to them
> > and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this is
> > first message of this type in this NG.
>
> I believe "caution" should be used when dealing with any company especially
> when you receive a product through the mail. One of the biggest things is
> to make sure the company sending you the product you paid for has the
> correct mailing address and that if you have an odd or different address
> that there are instructions included to find the place you want the item
> delivered to.
>
> Of course, in this case I believe we're only getting half of the story.
>
> :)
>
> Dave

Well said Rita - and good decision making. You can only ever guess
what problems you 'would have' had with a load of Dell's (although I
think we both know the answer to that with a high degree of
probability). I don't envy you making those choices, the wonderful
'global market' offering a perception of almost unlimited choice is in
reality amazingly limited, if you simply want something that 'works
properly' and then 'keeps working' - tall order in 2004.

"Kenny Ashton" <ashtonCUTTHIS@ctv.es> wrote in message
> Well said Rita - and good decision making. You can only ever guess
> what problems you 'would have' had with a load of Dell's (although I
> think we both know the answer to that with a high degree of
> probability). I don't envy you making those choices, the wonderful
> 'global market' offering a perception of almost unlimited choice is in
> reality amazingly limited, if you simply want something that 'works
> properly' and then 'keeps working' - tall order in 2004.

I'd also like to add that these (global) ordering and logistical systems
seem to work wonderfully so long as NOTHING goes wrong. They generally work
efficiently and quickly for the most part.

However, if even ONE thing goes wrong, it can tip all of the dominoes and
lead to a really rotten purchasing "experience", because it's apparently
harder to to correct an existing transaction than to generate the original
order and fill it. In effect, "plan B" is usually extremely painful.

The problem, unfortunately, isn't limited to Dell.

Stew