Newbie: Where to start in aquiring pins?

Been lurking for a couple of weeks here... Play a lot of pinball but
it's always so frutrating when you find one of your favorite pins, and
lights are burned out, the flippers don't work well, etc. This leads
me to want to buy one for home.

I love the newer (relatively speaking) games such as Addams Family,
Twilight Zone.... Checked e-bay and they seem to go for around 3 grand
for a rebuilt/cleaned one. Is this the route you guys recommend, or
can you get a better deal by buying a semi piece of junk and bringing
it back to life?

I'm very well mechanically inclined, can read schematics, etc. so I
know I COULD rebuild one, but is it worth it for a single machine? I'm
sure you guys that do this for resale already have cash put into
generic parts, so you can get your replacement parts for cheaper than a
single hobbiest.

So, what do you recommend?

Welcome to a great hobby, and you have found a really good group. Learn all
you can, before you get in the have to have a pin rush. That way you have a
good chance at getting a pin you like and have it working so you can enjoy
it, don't get caught up in having to have a pin no matter what and ruining
the hobby for yourself before you begin. Clay's site is the best guide for
repairs http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm even if you don't have a pin yet, do
some studying so any pin you look at you are better informed if problems are
small or huge. Mr. Pinball has pins
http://www.xmission.com/~daina/pinball.html and a collector register to meet
new friends in your area who can help you.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball?hl=en Old posts are
good for instant information. And check out Martin's Pinball News
http://www.pinballnews.com/ is filled with great things and a diary of
upcoming shows. LTG :)

<larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Been lurking for a couple of weeks here... Play a lot of pinball but
> it's always so frutrating when you find one of your favorite pins, and
> lights are burned out, the flippers don't work well, etc. This leads
> me to want to buy one for home.
>
> I love the newer (relatively speaking) games such as Addams Family,
> Twilight Zone.... Checked e-bay and they seem to go for around 3 grand
> for a rebuilt/cleaned one. Is this the route you guys recommend, or
> can you get a better deal by buying a semi piece of junk and bringing
> it back to life?
>
> I'm very well mechanically inclined, can read schematics, etc. so I
> know I COULD rebuild one, but is it worth it for a single machine? I'm
> sure you guys that do this for resale already have cash put into
> generic parts, so you can get your replacement parts for cheaper than a
> single hobbiest.
>
> So, what do you recommend?

I would NOT recommend buying a machine sight unseen. Everyone has
a difference interpretation of MINT, and their interpretation is usually
wrong.

Kick the tires in person. Forget Ebay, unless it is from a reliable seller.

Welcome aboard.

Harry
>> So, what do you recommend?

For a first pin I don't recommend ebay unless it's fairly local and you
can check it out before you buy it. I bought my first pin (cocktail
pinball machine) on ebay without researching first, and come to find
out the mpu boards are nearly impossible to find. I got VERY lucky and
found 2 working boards for under $150 for both.

Anyway, if you like to work on them (sometimes fixing them is more fun
than playing them - atleast I think so) buy one that isn't missing any
of the boards. Check the local paper also sometimes you can get great
deals, or try a local auction.

Chas

JC

Start with one that works, but that needs to be cleaned. Especially
TZ. Odds are that you'll have to figure out something when you put it
back together anyway.

Get your machine for $2.5k or less, google for some shop-out guides and
get to work. You'll learn quite a bit. When I bought mine, I hadn't
intended to shop it out or fix things myself. Now, while I obviously
don't know alot, I am confident that between past experience and this
group, anything can be handled. If it's out of my league
electronically, I call the repair guy and ask questions while I watch.

Be sure to buy light bulbs, a rubber set, some Novus products, and some
hard paste wax. also, for TZ or Addams, or anything from that time
frame, buy the "this Old Pinball" DVDs Vol. 3 and Vol. 4.

After this, you can buy a project pin. You'll have familiarized
yourself with how a pinball functions and won't be as initally puzzled
when tackling a pin to be repaired. That's my opinion anyway.

-JC-

larrybud2...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Been lurking for a couple of weeks here... Play a lot of pinball but
> it's always so frutrating when you find one of your favorite pins, and
> lights are burned out, the flippers don't work well, etc. This leads
> me to want to buy one for home.
>
> I love the newer (relatively speaking) games such as Addams Family,
> Twilight Zone.... Checked e-bay and they seem to go for around 3 grand
> for a rebuilt/cleaned one. Is this the route you guys recommend, or
> can you get a better deal by buying a semi piece of junk and bringing
> it back to life?
>
> I'm very well mechanically inclined, can read schematics, etc. so I
> know I COULD rebuild one, but is it worth it for a single machine? I'm
> sure you guys that do this for resale already have cash put into
> generic parts, so you can get your replacement parts for cheaper than a
> single hobbiest.
>
> So, what do you recommend?

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

The less the machine works and the poorer the condition of the cosmetics,
the less the machine is worth.

Difficult to determine sight unseen.

You should probably consider a machine that at least powers up and sort of
works. At least then, you know that most of the important parts are there.

Do your homework on price. Don't let anyone gouge ya.

It sounds like you are capable and motivated so you can probably give
yourself the most breathing room in the hobby if you find semi-workng,
filthy dirty machines with good underlying cosmetics. Ops warehouses and
poor earning locations are a good place to start.

You might consider this approach---instead of focusing on a specific title,
focus on
a system. Sounds like you are interested in the Williams/Bally Wpc system.

This repair guide breaks out many of the systems:

http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm

Welcome to the madness.

Good luck!!

CARGPB11

<larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I love the newer (relatively speaking) games such as Addams Family,
> Twilight Zone....
>
> I'm very well mechanically inclined, can read schematics, etc. so I
> know I COULD rebuild one, but is it worth it for a single machine? I'm
> sure you guys that do this for resale already have cash put into
> generic parts, so you can get your replacement parts for cheaper than a
> single hobbiest.
>
> So, what do you recommend?

If you do get a Twilight Zone, be sure to pick up the
This Old Pinball video dvd on restoring the Zone.
For $8 it's a 2 hour video on shopping out a TZ from
head to toe. It's very good for a beginner.
http://marvin3m.com/top
TOP#3 and TOP#4 also apply to other WPC games,
so it may be good to spend the $8 and see what you
are up against.

larrybud2002@yahoo.com wrote:
> Been lurking for a couple of weeks here... Play a lot of pinball but
> it's always so frutrating when you find one of your favorite pins, and
> lights are burned out, the flippers don't work well, etc. This leads
> me to want to buy one for home.
>
> I love the newer (relatively speaking) games such as Addams Family,
> Twilight Zone.... Checked e-bay and they seem to go for around 3 grand
> for a rebuilt/cleaned one. Is this the route you guys recommend, or
> can you get a better deal by buying a semi piece of junk and bringing
> it back to life?
>
> I'm very well mechanically inclined, can read schematics, etc. so I
> know I COULD rebuild one, but is it worth it for a single machine? I'm
> sure you guys that do this for resale already have cash put into
> generic parts, so you can get your replacement parts for cheaper than a
> single hobbiest.
>
> So, what do you recommend?

whenever I look for a pin my first stop is the bank !!!!

Welcome to the best hobby in the world !!!!!

whenever I look for a pin my first stop is the bank !!!!

Welcome to the best hobby in the world !!!!!

whenever I look for a pin my first stop is the bank !!!!

Welcome to the best hobby in the world !!!!!

First of all welcome. This is a great group, I've always recv'd good
advice here. These folks can be a tremendous resource for your new
hobby. Now, my opinion on where to start. I myself was in your
position about a year and a half ago. I definitely agree with everyone
who says e-bay is a risky bet, especially for a first pin. I would be
very hesitant to buy something sight unseen. I've went and looked at
number of pins described as "excellent condition" "9 out of 10"
etc...let's just say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or the
seller. I agree with JC, get something that works but needs to be
cleaned up a little. You will learn a lot that way. My first pin was
a Dr. Who who I purchased locally from a guy that had it on route. I
simply started calling up local amusement businesses and asking them if
they had any machines for sale. I paid $800 for it, and will probably
keep that machine forever. It has sentimental value to me I guess.
Also realize, pinball machines are kinda like Lay's potato chips.
Stopping with one is very hard. Another possibility is buying a game
from someone who has a great reputation. Say like Ray from Action
Pinball. Someone like that will make sure you get started out on the
right foot, and be happy to provide you with plenty of pictures so you
will feel okay about that first purchase. This group is usually a good
place to check out a seller's reputation. Just keep in mind for every
Ray, there's 5 guys who will have no hesitation to sell you a piece a
junk that you are gonna be disappointed with and get frustrated.

Once you have that first pin, start planning what you want to do with
the hobby. Are you really gonna stick with just one? If not, how much
room do you have? And...how much are you willing to invest in the
hobby? I suggest trying to get together with pinheads, either on your
own or by going to a show like CA Extreme. It will give you a good
idea of what other folks are doing, and what other games might
something you want to look into for the future.

After Dr. Who, I decided I wanted the experience of absolutely new in
box game. So, along came my LOTR. Then I decided I had to have one
those "premier" Bally/Williams 90's pins. So now I'm the proud owner
of a cherry TOM that I'm in the process of "golding" out. I'm
currently looking for something a bit older with drop targets. Part of
the enjoyment for me has been that hunt for the right pin, and the
anticipation of what it will be like when you finally get it. Have
fun!!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Welcome to the hobby.

Be patient when looking for a pin to buy. As Harry said, be sure
to see them in person. Buying a machine sight unseen is asking for
problems, especially on e-pay.

The most important thing is to figure out what machine you want.
Sounds like you've decided that. If there are some on location in
your area, find out who the owner is, and contact them. Chances
are that they won't be interested in selling, or will want way to much,
but its worth making contact with local operators, and let them know
what you are looking for. Mr. Pinball classifieds is also a good
resource. It'll give you a good idea of what folks are *asking*, and
you might find one for sale in your area.

IMO, its important to be able to fix your own machines. Might
as well start with your first one. There is lots of advice available,
so you won't be on your own.

Steve

In article <1122402936.086812.280680@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, larrybud2002@yahoo.com wrote:

>So, what do you recommend?

rgp FAQ, autoposted monthly to this ng and rec.answers. Also available at
www.mrpinball.com.

Hi

Did you say you "want to buy ONE for home"

I suggest you leave this group if you think you want to buy ONE
it don't stop there they will all tell you leave before its to late ONE
will be Two Three Four and it goes on

BTW Welcome to a very good hobby

get the TZ you will not go wrong with that as a 1st Pin
just look for wear on the playfield most other things can
be replaced wear is a big problem to cure........

My 1st was a ToM

Have Fun

Terry C

J*B SoF ToM IJ TZ HS2 Shadow BC Diner ST:TNG

http://www.deltatango.freeserve.co.uk/slots.html
WELCOME TO THE PINBALL LOUNGE UK

<larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Been lurking for a couple of weeks here... Play a lot of pinball but
> it's always so frutrating when you find one of your favorite pins, and
> lights are burned out, the flippers don't work well, etc. This leads
> me to want to buy one for home.
>
> I love the newer (relatively speaking) games such as Addams Family,
> Twilight Zone.... Checked e-bay and they seem to go for around 3 grand
> for a rebuilt/cleaned one. Is this the route you guys recommend, or
> can you get a better deal by buying a semi piece of junk and bringing
> it back to life?
>
> I'm very well mechanically inclined, can read schematics, etc. so I
> know I COULD rebuild one, but is it worth it for a single machine? I'm
> sure you guys that do this for resale already have cash put into
> generic parts, so you can get your replacement parts for cheaper than a
> single hobbiest.
>
> So, what do you recommend?

In article <1122402936.086812.280680@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Been lurking for a couple of weeks here...
>Checked e-bay and they seem to go for around 3 grand
>for a rebuilt/cleaned one. Is this the route you guys recommend, or
>can you get a better deal by buying a semi piece of junk and bringing
>it back to life?

Hang on for a couple more days and the FAQ will appear. It has a lot of
suggestions for the first-time buyer. Then get both price guides (Mr.
Pinball and Larry Bieza's) so you have game info, more suggestions, and
some ads you might find helpful, but remember that prices in the real
(and unreal) world don't always correspond to the guides. ("A game is
worth the price at which it actually changes hands.")

Another thought about rebuilt vs. fix-it-yourself: Most people like
doing some kinds of restoration (electrical, paint, playfield devices,
cabinet, metal hardware, etc.) but dislike other aspects. So you can
get a better deal (by your standards) if the game needs work in the
areas you enjoy fixing.
--
.................David Marston at MV