Temp files deleted - reduced network speed - PLEASE HELP.

If there are any MVP's, I'd appreciate the help, I've exhausted all googling
efforts.

In a quest to kill some nasty trojans and worms that the popular 4
virus/spyware companys couldn't do, I was forced to run some critical
software in safemode. In the settings, I forgot to untick one box, in the
removal proccess, the software deleted some temp OS files (that I saw
scorlling by but stopped the software) , it even deleted the MS factory
chrome/green themes bars (display properties/appearence-themes).

So heres my problem. Although I'm still online and the rest of the OS (XP
SP1) (with Comcast) 6mb connection, my speeds where immidiatly reduced when
I rebooted out of safe mode. Normal sites that I d/l from at 450kb/s I'm now
reduced to 125kb/s or so.

I know its hard to ID what the problem could be but based on the above, can
anyone reccomend some things to look for? Still have connectivity but speed
has definitly been reduced from these temp files that were ID and deleted by
that software in safemode.

Thank you very much. Comcast obviously wont touch this with a 10' pole, any
help would be appreciated.

Malke

glankit wrote:

> If there are any MVP's, I'd appreciate the help, I've exhausted all
> googling efforts.
>
> In a quest to kill some nasty trojans and worms that the popular 4
> virus/spyware companys couldn't do, I was forced to run some critical
> software in safemode. In the settings, I forgot to untick one box, in
> the removal proccess, the software deleted some temp OS files (that I
> saw scorlling by but stopped the software) , it even deleted the MS
> factory chrome/green themes bars (display
> properties/appearence-themes).
>

> So heres my problem. Although I'm still online and the rest of the OS
> (XP SP1) (with Comcast) 6mb connection, my speeds where immidiatly
> reduced when I rebooted out of safe mode. Normal sites that I d/l from
> at 450kb/s I'm now reduced to 125kb/s or so.
>

> I know its hard to ID what the problem could be but based on the
> above, can anyone reccomend some things to look for? Still have
> connectivity but speed has definitly been reduced from these temp
> files that were ID and deleted by that software in safemode.
>

> Thank you very much. Comcast obviously wont touch this with a 10'
> pole, any help would be appreciated.

What "critical software" did you run in Safe Mode? There should have
been nothing in Temp that was crucial; Temp files can always be deleted
at some point.

There is no way for us to know what you've done and what was damaged.
Since you say you had extensive viruses and worms, at this point it
makes more sense to back up your data and do a clean install of
Windows:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke

glankit wrote:

> Michael, this pc is now virus/worm/trojan free as verified by security
> experts. I use Windows Washer 6.0 by Webroot - but this is what was
> reccomended by the security group >
> http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/index.html
>
> In the photo attached, the security group, in the instructions of
> removal said to untick the 'scan local drives for temporary files',
> which I missed. If I still have connectivity, the OS works fine but
> connection is slow - do you know what might to look for that might
> need to be replaced to get my speed back?
>
> Thank you for the quick reply!
>

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> glankit wrote:
>>
>> > If there are any MVP's, I'd appreciate the help, I've exhausted all
>> > googling efforts.
>> >
>> > In a quest to kill some nasty trojans and worms that the popular 4
>> > virus/spyware companys couldn't do, I was forced to run some
>> > critical software in safemode. In the settings, I forgot to untick
>> > one box, in the removal proccess, the software deleted some temp OS
>> > files (that I saw scorlling by but stopped the software) , it even
>> > deleted the MS factory chrome/green themes bars (display
>> > properties/appearence-themes).
>> >

>> > So heres my problem. Although I'm still online and the rest of the
>> > OS (XP SP1) (with Comcast) 6mb connection, my speeds where
>> > immidiatly reduced when I rebooted out of safe mode. Normal sites
>> > that I d/l from at 450kb/s I'm now reduced to 125kb/s or so.
>> >

>> > I know its hard to ID what the problem could be but based on the
>> > above, can anyone reccomend some things to look for? Still have
>> > connectivity but speed has definitly been reduced from these temp
>> > files that were ID and deleted by that software in safemode.
>> >

>> > Thank you very much. Comcast obviously wont touch this with a 10'
>> > pole, any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> What "critical software" did you run in Safe Mode? There should have
>> been nothing in Temp that was crucial; Temp files can always be
>> deleted at some point.
>>
>> There is no way for us to know what you've done and what was damaged.
>> Since you say you had extensive viruses and worms, at this point it
>> makes more sense to back up your data and do a clean install of
>> Windows:
>>
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

I have no idea what this "cleaner" program did to your system. This is
exactly why "cleaner" programs are dangerous. You can try a System
Restore to before you used the "cleaner" and/or contact the software
mftr. for help with a problem created by using their program.

Good luck,

Malke