[SOLVED] I5 intel processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
The i5 is supported by a completely different architecture than the Core 2. It would require a complete refit of RAM and Motherboard. In short the answer is no I am afraid.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It seems like it almost a cult with these Apple followers.You are a straight shooter I see.If you just got a new MBP 13 inch Core 2 Duo and the new one i5 just came out would you sell the core 2 duo and get the new one.I can sell mine for over one thousand dollars.I have this only 5 weeks .thanks MF

No, I wouldn't sell it. New specifications come out all the time. Does your present one do the job? (I'm aware that you have problems with the speed of your Inernet connection, but changing your computer won't fix that.)

I tend to keep my computers for about 5 years before upgrading or replacing them. I may decide to upgrade my Mac Mini soon (which is now over 5 years old) but only becasue, being one of the old models, it won't run Snow Leopard so I can't easily use it for iPad development.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I thought the i5 processor is much faster than the core 2 duo and my ISP speed is 3.04 Mps download and upload 64 Mps.What about the Thunderbolt technology what do you think about that yourself? thanks Mf

I'm sure that the i5 is faster than the core 2 duo, but there's always something new just around the corner. As long as my computer is fast enough for my needs then I don't worry too much about the latest technology. If you want to keep up with the cutting edge then it is going to cost you a lot, whether you run a Mac or a PC.

The broadband connection is a separate issue. All modern computers are plenty fast enough to cope with a broadband connection; the bottleneck is always the connection, not the processor, hard disk, memory, or any other factor. As a (non-perfect) analogy, think of a car. Most modern cars can easily do 80mph or more. If you can only manage to drive at 40mph because a road is congested with traffic, then it doesn't matter if you have a cheap hatchback or a Ferrari - they'll both only be able to do 40mph.

A broadband connection is like a permanently congested road. If you're lucky you may be able to do 40mph, if not you may only be able to do 20. With networks there are the equivalent of freeways, that let you travel faster, but they cost extra. If you want to drive at 70mph you're going to have to change your road.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
1. I have a Macbook from May 2007. No intention to upgrade. I never needed to. I thought I'd get a Macbook to use Firewire 400. Never did.

2. Apple offers something like a 30 day "OMG I just bought dat and a new one came out" upgrade option.

If you want to get faster machine, then by all means sell it, but... it will have no impact on your download speeds whatsoever. So do it for the right reasons if you are going to do it, but not for the wrong reasons and expecting an impossible effect.

You could get a second line into your house and somehow merge the two connections, but you are getting into comparatively custom setups for the router then, and most ISPs probably won't support it. Leased line is an optionI suppose, not sure how much of an improvement, you cannot change the laws of physics.

thunderbolt, i have nothing that can consume/provide that much bandwidth except for a gpu and aside from a gpu in a box for a laptop i don't see the point.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Yeah, that was a total waste of money IMO. Instead of buying a whole new computer you should have just gotten an SSD or more RAM. You admitted in an earlier post that people buy Macs religiously, even to the point of being like a cult. Well, you're officially a member!

Status
Not open for further replies.