Tags:
  • Management
  • Support
  • Thunderbird
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
March 12, 2012 6:19:25 PM

Hi all,

Despite being well versed in IT Support, I still have never had total responsibility for a network, nor have I ever maintained or set up a network.

I believe they run on thin clients, thunderbird mail, and have the usual suite of apps, together with a network of around 100 machines.

I have a meeting with the previous support bod in a weeks time and would appreciate your input in terms of what questions I need answering / should be asking and what notes I need to be taking.

Obviously to pre-empt any issues I may have when I'm on my own.

Thanks muchly in advance,

Mysterio

More about : taking support medium sized company

March 13, 2012 6:59:50 PM

you will need a network map of all network resources. You should make sure you have all account names and passwords. you will need to know warranty/support contracts, dates, and contacts. you will need to know previous SOPs/SLAs.
March 13, 2012 7:11:11 PM

sscastleberry said:
you will need a network map of all network resources. You should make sure you have all account names and passwords. you will need to know warranty/support contracts, dates, and contacts. you will need to know previous SOPs/SLAs.

Agreed - need to understand the needs of their business before you try to reinvent their wheels. If they have a map of the interconnect of their applications and data, that would be beneficial too.
Related resources
March 13, 2012 9:13:53 PM

Hi :) 

Sorry to be brutal here but...

If you have never done it, you are NOT qualified to do it...not on your own....

You could always take over the contract and pay a qualified employee to run it...

All the best Brett :) 
March 13, 2012 11:56:57 PM

True... BUT If he never does, how is he going to learn anything?

Keep in mind bro - you ARE stepping out of the frying pan and into the fire here...

HOWEVER, With an Iron will to succseed, solid documentation, an ability to do internet good reasearch, and an ear of technical EXPERTS nearby to ask when ure really stuck... You will most definatelly do well, and learn a ton in the process.

It all really depends - In my mind, i immagine that taking this job will greatly improve your quality of life, and also give you a stepping stone to further your career in the future. How much effort are you willing to put into this to make yourself that technical expert that can do that kind of job effortlessly?

Ask yourself this: "Is the juice worth the squeeze?" Your answer will determine what action you should take in this situation ^^

Best of luck in all of your endeavors :D 
March 14, 2012 2:36:05 AM

Sounds like a job for spiceworks :p  check it out, helped me out a lot.
March 14, 2012 1:50:18 PM

frombehind said:
True... BUT If he never does, how is he going to learn anything?

Keep in mind bro - you ARE stepping out of the frying pan and into the fire here...

HOWEVER, With an Iron will to succseed, solid documentation, an ability to do internet good reasearch, and an ear of technical EXPERTS nearby to ask when ure really stuck... You will most definatelly do well, and learn a ton in the process.

It all really depends - In my mind, i immagine that taking this job will greatly improve your quality of life, and also give you a stepping stone to further your career in the future. How much effort are you willing to put into this to make yourself that technical expert that can do that kind of job effortlessly?

Ask yourself this: "Is the juice worth the squeeze?" Your answer will determine what action you should take in this situation ^^

Best of luck in all of your endeavors :D 

Agreed(nice Heat reference btw, such a classic)!

Get a lay of the land, get a feel for their attitude about IT and what they are willing to budget toward improvements to infrastructure and services and get ready for war. Also important to make as many systems remotely manageable as possible and make things as simple as possible but make sure to CYA. Check for redundancy in revenue impacting systems, confirm their data backup plan and their DRBCP and if they don't have one, you're going to have to make that a priority. Their accountants may loathe you if you have to do it from scratch ($$$) but it'll be an awesome resume booster.

My team just had to take over support for our parent company due to restructuring and we had to do it blind because of lack of documentation. We have a pretty small group and we inherited 2 headcount from their staff and 100+ additional users.

Don't be intimidated but be ready to ask for help and create a team of techs if you don't already have them.
!