More about restricting internet connection sharing

    From: "Raghav" <Raghav@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | HI,
    | How do i stop a particular computer(client) from accessing internet from
    | host computer running internet connection sharing?
    | i have shared Internet by Internet Connection Sharing on Windows XP
    | SP2. i have other computers running windows 98SE, at first the computer didnt
    | get configured automatically, i had to create a network disc and run it on
    | each PC to get internet access on those machines.
    | Now i want one of those PC to be not able to acsess internet.
    | Please help Me.
    |
    | Raghav

    If you are connected to a Broadband via Cable or DSL then you can use a cab;e/DSL Router
    such as the Linksys BEFSR41. Then you won't need ICS, no't need to uun a ICS client on
    Win9x/ME and the WinXP PC does not have to be "on" to share the Internet, the Router will do
    this.

    In the Router's "advanced" configuration you can set the "Filtered Private IP Range" such
    that you can use MS Networking and shre File and Print Services amongst the computers but
    those addresses in the "Filtered Private IP Range" will be blocked from accessing the
    Internet.

    To increase the security of a Router I always suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~
    139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

    On many Linksys Routers (depending on model version) the port blockage and "Filtered Private
    IP Range" is set on the Router at the following URL...
    http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Computers Internet Connection Internet Windows XP