XP Scheduler returns "Last Result" 0x80

I am trying to schedule an Event, using the XP Scheduler. I want this
scheduled event to run, even when i am logged off, something that does not
happen in one specific PC. We have many pc's in the company, one of them is a
DB Server. In this PC, which has Win XP Pro SP1, when no user is logged on,
then the scheduled event runs, but the related batch file DOES NOT. The Last
Result column has a value of 0x80 (some kind of error code), instead of 0x0
which appears on all other PC's after a successfull run.

Has anybody seen this problem before ?
Is it a hardware or BIOS problem ?
Is there a workaround for this ?
I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...

Regards,
John

If that is a Win 32 error code it means
There are no child processes to wait for.

However it is the program that is returning the code. EG Norton chosse 42 to mean OK though the whole world apart from norton uses 0. It may not signify an error either. Some programs use it to indicate status so batch programs (and similar) can take different steps depending for example if Find command found anything or not.
"John Antonakos" <John Antonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3C6055E-A0B3-44FB-A2A0-A2CD4BF14343@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to schedule an Event, using the XP Scheduler. I want this
> scheduled event to run, even when i am logged off, something that does not
> happen in one specific PC. We have many pc's in the company, one of them is a
> DB Server. In this PC, which has Win XP Pro SP1, when no user is logged on,
> then the scheduled event runs, but the related batch file DOES NOT. The Last
> Result column has a value of 0x80 (some kind of error code), instead of 0x0
> which appears on all other PC's after a successfull run.
>
> Has anybody seen this problem before ?
> Is it a hardware or BIOS problem ?
> Is there a workaround for this ?
> I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...
>
> Regards,
> John

David,

i understand what the error code says, but i really do not understand why it
happens on one pc, when in several others works just fine. it's strange isnt
it ? Some kind of Microsoft Bug it seems to me.

John

"David Candy" wrote:

> If that is a Win 32 error code it means
> There are no child processes to wait for.
>
> However it is the program that is returning the code. EG Norton chosse 42 to mean OK though the whole world apart from norton uses 0. It may not signify an error either. Some programs use it to indicate status so batch programs (and similar) can take different steps depending for example if Find command found anything or not.
> "John Antonakos" <John Antonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3C6055E-A0B3-44FB-A2A0-A2CD4BF14343@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to schedule an Event, using the XP Scheduler. I want this
> > scheduled event to run, even when i am logged off, something that does not
> > happen in one specific PC. We have many pc's in the company, one of them is a
> > DB Server. In this PC, which has Win XP Pro SP1, when no user is logged on,
> > then the scheduled event runs, but the related batch file DOES NOT. The Last
> > Result column has a value of 0x80 (some kind of error code), instead of 0x0
> > which appears on all other PC's after a successfull run.
> >
> > Has anybody seen this problem before ?
> > Is it a hardware or BIOS problem ?
> > Is there a workaround for this ?
> > I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...
> >
> > Regards,
> > John

"John Antonakos" <John Antonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to schedule an Event, using the XP Scheduler. I want this
> scheduled event to run, even when i am logged off, something that does not
> happen in one specific PC. We have many pc's in the company, one of them
is a
> DB Server. In this PC, which has Win XP Pro SP1, when no user is logged
on,
> then the scheduled event runs, but the related batch file DOES NOT. The
Last
> Result column has a value of 0x80 (some kind of error code), instead of
0x0
> which appears on all other PC's after a successfull run.
>
> Has anybody seen this problem before ?
> Is it a hardware or BIOS problem ?
> Is there a workaround for this ?
> I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...
>
> Regards,
> John

It's probably a bit premature to blame the BIOS or Microsoft
for a problem which most likely is caused by user error or
lack of experience. Your first step should be to gather evidence,
post it here, then ask for advice. I suspect your batch file runs
OK even though you're not aware of it. I suggest you modify
it like so:

@echo off
echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log

Wait until the scheduler has invoked this job, then report
the contents of the two log files in your next post.

Listen guys, before you start talking about inexperience just look what i am
getting
from the scheduler log file (C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt)
"a.job" (a.bat)
Started 01/09/2005 16:46:00
"a.job" (a.bat)
Finished 01/09/2005 16:46:00
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (80).
As i am trying to explain here, the batch file didnt run at all, so the
c:\test.log was
never created.

I am a DBA now, i have been a Java Developer for more than 5 years now, and
the batch file
i am trying to run is an automated DB import process.
Another thing is that if i am logged in, the process goes normally with exit
code of (0).
When i log off and wait for the scheduler to run, then i get the exit code
of (80).
So you can get the full picture of my problem.

Thanks for the replies guys, rude or not.
John

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "John Antonakos" <John Antonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to schedule an Event, using the XP Scheduler. I want this
> > scheduled event to run, even when i am logged off, something that does not
> > happen in one specific PC. We have many pc's in the company, one of them
> is a
> > DB Server. In this PC, which has Win XP Pro SP1, when no user is logged
> on,
> > then the scheduled event runs, but the related batch file DOES NOT. The
> Last
> > Result column has a value of 0x80 (some kind of error code), instead of
> 0x0
> > which appears on all other PC's after a successfull run.
> >
> > Has anybody seen this problem before ?
> > Is it a hardware or BIOS problem ?
> > Is there a workaround for this ?
> > I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...
> >
> > Regards,
> > John
>
> It's probably a bit premature to blame the BIOS or Microsoft
> for a problem which most likely is caused by user error or
> lack of experience. Your first step should be to gather evidence,
> post it here, then ask for advice. I suspect your batch file runs
> OK even though you're not aware of it. I suggest you modify
> it like so:
>
> @echo off
> echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
> echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
> c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
> echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
> echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log
>
> Wait until the scheduler has invoked this job, then report
> the contents of the two log files in your next post.

Just look here, i found something:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812400

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "John Antonakos" <John Antonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to schedule an Event, using the XP Scheduler. I want this
> > scheduled event to run, even when i am logged off, something that does not
> > happen in one specific PC. We have many pc's in the company, one of them
> is a
> > DB Server. In this PC, which has Win XP Pro SP1, when no user is logged
> on,
> > then the scheduled event runs, but the related batch file DOES NOT. The
> Last
> > Result column has a value of 0x80 (some kind of error code), instead of
> 0x0
> > which appears on all other PC's after a successfull run.
> >
> > Has anybody seen this problem before ?
> > Is it a hardware or BIOS problem ?
> > Is there a workaround for this ?
> > I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...
> >
> > Regards,
> > John
>
> It's probably a bit premature to blame the BIOS or Microsoft
> for a problem which most likely is caused by user error or
> lack of experience. Your first step should be to gather evidence,
> post it here, then ask for advice. I suspect your batch file runs
> OK even though you're not aware of it. I suggest you modify
> it like so:
>
> @echo off
> echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
> echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
> c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
> echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
> echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log
>
> Wait until the scheduler has invoked this job, then report
> the contents of the two log files in your next post.

That's a long shot, and yet to be proven.

> Just look here, i found something:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812400
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "John Antonakos" <John Antonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > I am trying to schedule an Event, using the XP Scheduler. I want this
> > > scheduled event to run, even when i am logged off, something that does
not
> > > happen in one specific PC. We have many pc's in the company, one of
them
> > is a
> > > DB Server. In this PC, which has Win XP Pro SP1, when no user is
logged
> > on,
> > > then the scheduled event runs, but the related batch file DOES NOT.
The
> > Last
> > > Result column has a value of 0x80 (some kind of error code), instead
of
> > 0x0
> > > which appears on all other PC's after a successfull run.
> > >
> > > Has anybody seen this problem before ?
> > > Is it a hardware or BIOS problem ?
> > > Is there a workaround for this ?
> > > I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John
> >
> > It's probably a bit premature to blame the BIOS or Microsoft
> > for a problem which most likely is caused by user error or
> > lack of experience. Your first step should be to gather evidence,
> > post it here, then ask for advice. I suspect your batch file runs
> > OK even though you're not aware of it. I suggest you modify
> > it like so:
> >
> > @echo off
> > echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
> > echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
> > c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
> > echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
> > echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log
> >
> > Wait until the scheduler has invoked this job, then report
> > the contents of the two log files in your next post.

The workaround works just fine. Once you disable Human Interface Device
Access service (HID Input service) the scheduled tasks run even if nobody is
logged in.
I also checked all the PC`s that the scheduler was running normally and i
found out that this service was actually Disabled in those machines by
default.

Now, if a person like you cannot understand that an XP machine can differ
from another XP machine, i dont know why i even bother replying. I really
believe Microsoft should make the exams for Most Valuable Professional more
difficult.
Its very easy for an anonymous to blame everyone else as inexperienced.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> That's a long shot, and yet to be proven.
>

> "John Antonakos" <JohnAntonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just look here, i found something:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812400
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "John Antonakos" <John Antonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> not
> them
> > > is a
> logged
> > > on,
> The
> > > Last
> of
> > > 0x0

> > > It's probably a bit premature to blame the BIOS or Microsoft
> > > for a problem which most likely is caused by user error or
> > > lack of experience. Your first step should be to gather evidence,
> > > post it here, then ask for advice. I suspect your batch file runs
> > > OK even though you're not aware of it. I suggest you modify
> > > it like so:
> > >
> > > @echo off
> > > echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
> > > echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
> > > c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
> > > echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
> > > echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log
> > >
> > > Wait until the scheduler has invoked this job, then report
> > > the contents of the two log files in your next post.

If you're an experienced DBA, how could you possibly blame the
BIOS or the hardware for a failed scheduled task? I see a big
contradiction here.

> [...]
> > > I searched a lot online, but no luck so far...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John
> >
> > It's probably a bit premature to blame the BIOS or Microsoft
> > for a problem which most likely is caused by user error or
> > lack of experience. Your first step should be to gather evidence,
> > post it here, then ask for advice. I suspect your batch file runs
> > OK even though you're not aware of it. I suggest you modify
> > it like so:
> >
> > @echo off
> > echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
> > echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
> > c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
> > echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
> > echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log
> >
> > Wait until the scheduler has invoked this job, then report
> > the contents of the two log files in your next post.

Criticism noted. I am now waiting for your self-assessment
to explain how a hardware problem or a BIOS bug could
prevent a scheduled task from running. It's equivalent to
suggesting that you cannot join two tables because of an
incompatible video adapter.

> The workaround works just fine. Once you disable Human Interface Device
> Access service (HID Input service) the scheduled tasks run even if nobody
is
> logged in.
> I also checked all the PC`s that the scheduler was running normally and i
> found out that this service was actually Disabled in those machines by
> default.
>
> Now, if a person like you cannot understand that an XP machine can differ
> from another XP machine, i dont know why i even bother replying. I really
> believe Microsoft should make the exams for Most Valuable Professional
more
> difficult.
> Its very easy for an anonymous to blame everyone else as inexperienced.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > That's a long shot, and yet to be proven.
> >

> > "John Antonakos" <JohnAntonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > Just look here, i found something:
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812400

> > message
> > not
> > them
> > logged
NOT.
> > The
> > of

First of all Mr Pegasus (MVP), i only mentioned hardware problem because a
colleague who was investigating the issue for me, said he read some article
that mentioned the problem was linked to a hardware issue. Second, if you sit
down and think how Human Interface Device Service, a USB related handling
service, can affect a scheduled event, then you can understand my hardware
related worries. Anyway, i never accuse Dear Microsoft of bugs, you know why
sweetie ? ah? Because i have been programming for many years, and i know well
that any software in the world, especially one of the biggest software
around, like Windows, will have bugs. At least Microsoft is very fast on
fixing them. I feel really sorry for all the programmers at Seattle who are
working all day around to work on the most attacked software worldwide, the
Microsoft Windows series... Now lets close this stupid discussion, anyway,
talking about the problem and looking into the schedule log, made me write
the right search strings in Google and i found the article. That's the whole
story. I really feel sorry though for all those people out there,
participating in forums daily, just to prove that they know SO MUCH about
software. They make our life difficult, i am talking about the professional
programmers who are earning their living with what others play with. Enjoy
your day!!!

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> Criticism noted. I am now waiting for your self-assessment
> to explain how a hardware problem or a BIOS bug could
> prevent a scheduled task from running. It's equivalent to
> suggesting that you cannot join two tables because of an
> incompatible video adapter.
>

> "John Antonakos" <JohnAntonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The workaround works just fine. Once you disable Human Interface Device
> > Access service (HID Input service) the scheduled tasks run even if nobody
> is
> > logged in.
> > I also checked all the PC`s that the scheduler was running normally and i
> > found out that this service was actually Disabled in those machines by
> > default.
> >
> > Now, if a person like you cannot understand that an XP machine can differ
> > from another XP machine, i dont know why i even bother replying. I really
> > believe Microsoft should make the exams for Most Valuable Professional
> more
> > difficult.
> > Its very easy for an anonymous to blame everyone else as inexperienced.
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > That's a long shot, and yet to be proven.
> > >

> > > "John Antonakos" <JohnAntonakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message

> > > message
> this