Williams Flash with new style flippers?

I'm sick of the wimpy flippers on my Williams "Flash" and I'm looking to
hotrod it by replacing the Gen 1 Flipper mechs with new style (pre-
Fliptronics) mechs.

Here's my plan:

1) Buy a complete new-style flipper assembly kit
2) Buy new flipper bats
3) Buy new bushings (I need those, right?)
4) Buy SFL-19-400/30-750 (Firepower-style) coils

Those coils (SFL-19-400/30-750) will be a drop-in replacement to the
11629s that are in the kit, right?

Am I missing anything?

Also - I need new flipper buttons - what's the right size/style?

Thanks,
-Mark.
4 answers Last reply
More about williams flash style flippers

    You can re-use the old short coils. The long coils can be used, too, but I
    doubt you'll see any difference in power/performance.

    We did this same retrofit on a Stern Meteor a few years ago and have all the
    info listed on our website. The parts we used were new from Williams at the
    time- many of which may not be available anymore, but if you can find used
    assemblies, then that's most of the parts you'd need.

    See: www.actionpinball.com in the Technical Articles section for the info.

    (Good idea, by the way...)

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    "Mark Teskey" <mark.teskey@visi.com> wrote in message
    > I'm sick of the wimpy flippers on my Williams "Flash" and I'm looking to
    > hotrod it by replacing the Gen 1 Flipper mechs with new style (pre-
    > Fliptronics) mechs.
    >
    > Here's my plan:
    >
    > 1) Buy a complete new-style flipper assembly kit
    > 2) Buy new flipper bats
    > 3) Buy new bushings (I need those, right?)
    > 4) Buy SFL-19-400/30-750 (Firepower-style) coils
    >
    > Those coils (SFL-19-400/30-750) will be a drop-in replacement to the
    > 11629s that are in the kit, right?
    >
    > Am I missing anything?
    >
    > Also - I need new flipper buttons - what's the right size/style?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Mark.

    Thanks for the quick response..

    I had already read your article, BTW. That's one of the places I got
    the idea from! I'd probably lean toward the long coils just to avoid
    tapping / etc.

    I have found complete assemblies (from Penn-Ray) - but I'm going to
    order the coils from you (along with some other needed stuff). You've
    got them in stock, right?

    So, it's Assembly + bushing + bats + coils = Non-EM style game play?
    Whee!

    -Mark.

    In article <zdWdnb3uqsUyCHvfRVn-qg@aros.net>, staff@actionpinball.com
    says...
    > You can re-use the old short coils. The long coils can be used, too, but I
    > doubt you'll see any difference in power/performance.
    >
    > We did this same retrofit on a Stern Meteor a few years ago and have all the
    > info listed on our website. The parts we used were new from Williams at the
    > time- many of which may not be available anymore, but if you can find used
    > assemblies, then that's most of the parts you'd need.
    >
    > See: www.actionpinball.com in the Technical Articles section for the info.
    >
    > (Good idea, by the way...)
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    >

    > "Mark Teskey" <mark.teskey@visi.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm sick of the wimpy flippers on my Williams "Flash" and I'm looking to
    > > hotrod it by replacing the Gen 1 Flipper mechs with new style (pre-
    > > Fliptronics) mechs.
    > >
    > > Here's my plan:
    > >
    > > 1) Buy a complete new-style flipper assembly kit
    > > 2) Buy new flipper bats
    > > 3) Buy new bushings (I need those, right?)
    > > 4) Buy SFL-19-400/30-750 (Firepower-style) coils
    > >
    > > Those coils (SFL-19-400/30-750) will be a drop-in replacement to the
    > > 11629s that are in the kit, right?
    > >
    > > Am I missing anything?
    > >
    > > Also - I need new flipper buttons - what's the right size/style?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > -Mark.

    I believe Clay has some information on this at his tech site

    http://www.marvin3m.com/sys37

    It's on the 3rd page in the flipper section

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    If you're finding the whole assemblies then they should come with bushings
    already installed. You might check to see what EOS switches they have, if
    any. You'd need the older high-current 03-7811 type (1 for each flipper).
    And change out the coils to the SFL-19-400... type. And install NOS white
    Williams flipper bats/shafts with "W" logo. And flipper rubber rings.

    Yes- we have all the above in stock- hope we can help "fix" your game!
    Great upgrade!

    Ray J.
    --

    > Thanks for the quick response..
    >
    > I had already read your article, BTW. That's one of the places I got
    > the idea from! I'd probably lean toward the long coils just to avoid
    > tapping / etc.
    >
    > I have found complete assemblies (from Penn-Ray) - but I'm going to
    > order the coils from you (along with some other needed stuff). You've
    > got them in stock, right?
    >
    > So, it's Assembly + bushing + bats + coils = Non-EM style game play?
    > Whee!
    >
    > -Mark.
    >
    > In article <zdWdnb3uqsUyCHvfRVn-qg@aros.net>, staff@actionpinball.com
    > says...
    > > You can re-use the old short coils. The long coils can be used, too,
    but I
    > > doubt you'll see any difference in power/performance.
    > >
    > > We did this same retrofit on a Stern Meteor a few years ago and have all
    the
    > > info listed on our website. The parts we used were new from Williams at
    the
    > > time- many of which may not be available anymore, but if you can find
    used
    > > assemblies, then that's most of the parts you'd need.
    > >
    > > See: www.actionpinball.com in the Technical Articles section for the
    info.

    > > (Good idea, by the way...)
    > >
    > > Ray J.
    > > --
    > > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    > >
    > > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    > >

    > > "Mark Teskey" <mark.teskey@visi.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm sick of the wimpy flippers on my Williams "Flash" and I'm looking
    > > > hotrod it by replacing the Gen 1 Flipper mechs with new style (pre-
    > > > Fliptronics) mechs.
    > > >
    > > > Here's my plan:
    > > >
    > > > 1) Buy a complete new-style flipper assembly kit
    > > > 2) Buy new flipper bats
    > > > 3) Buy new bushings (I need those, right?)
    > > > 4) Buy SFL-19-400/30-750 (Firepower-style) coils
    > > >
    > > > Those coils (SFL-19-400/30-750) will be a drop-in replacement to the
    > > > 11629s that are in the kit, right?
    > > >
    > > > Am I missing anything?
    > > >
    > > > Also - I need new flipper buttons - what's the right size/style?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > -Mark.

Style Flash Games Video Games