Icon Background Transparency

Windows XP comes by default with the Desktop Icons' background being
transparent. Now, I accidentally changed the settings in Appearance>Advanced,
and for my life I cannot figure out how to get them to go back to being
transparent. Anybody have any tips? Thanks a bunch.

robyng7 wrote:
> Windows XP comes by default with the Desktop Icons' background being
> transparent. Now, I accidentally changed the settings in
> Appearance>Advanced, and for my life I cannot figure out how to get
> them to go back to being transparent. Anybody have any tips? Thanks a
> bunch.

2 settings to check.

Right-click on your desktop and select:
Properties / Desktop / Customize Desktop / Web tab
and uncheck "Lock Desktop Items", OK / Apply.

Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
Properties / Advanced / Performance settings /
Visual Effects, place a check next to "Use Drop Shadows
for Icon Labels on the Desktop", click Apply.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Hello,

Checkpoints to consider:

1) Right click on desktop >> arrange icons by >> uncheck "Lock Web items on desktop"

2) Right click on My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced tab >> Settings under 'Performance' >> check
"Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop".

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"robyng7" <robyng7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP comes by default with the Desktop Icons' background being
> transparent. Now, I accidentally changed the settings in Appearance>Advanced,
> and for my life I cannot figure out how to get them to go back to being
> transparent. Anybody have any tips? Thanks a bunch.

Thanks guys! That solves the problem.
Cheers.

Verify the following:

1. Right-click a blank Desktop area.
2. Select Arrange Icons By.
3. Uncheck (if it is checked) the 'Lock Web Items on Desktop' option.

1. Right-click the My Computer icon.
2. Select Properties.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. Select Settings button (Performance field).
5. Verify if the checkbox 'Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop' is marked; if it is not, check it and press OK.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín