• Flat Panel Monitors
  • Monitors
  • CRT Monitors
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 14, 2010 3:37:44 PM

Hi all,

Im totally new to TFT monitors, in fact i still use my Nokia 17" CRT (12 years old! hehehe) for all purpose work. So i need your help and advice to find a new monitor. I will use it for gaming, 3D modelling (Blender), GIS (Geographic information system data) and some photo editing. I normally dont watch movies in pc or use much media entertainment (just casual). I need a nice monitor workstation that can give me a good compromise between image quality, response and price. The size would be good between 22-24 inches. I can spend as much as 600 US Dollars or in my currency around 400 Euros. Any more info please ask me.

Thank you for your time

Nuno

More about : advice tft

a c 196 C Monitor
October 15, 2010 12:43:53 AM

Click the following link to learn about LCD tech:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

If a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor (like a HDTV; 1920 x 1080) is fine with you, then consider the Dell U2311H which has pretty decent color accuracy right out of the box.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

If you prefer a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor (1920 x 1200), then the HP ZR24w is worth considering:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm
October 16, 2010 4:18:35 PM

Ok thank you. One thing. I read on some forums customers complaining about two rather common issues with Dell U2311H. Mainly Backlight bleed and tinting. Should i expect these problems also? Does the so called AO1 revision adressed these issues?

Regards
Nuno
Related resources
a b C Monitor
October 16, 2010 6:47:23 PM

For your budget, i'll recommend the HP LP2475W.. Main reason being that i too am a designer, have been using it for quite sometime now and have been so much satisfied that i have stopped looking into new release monitors.. The tech spec is adequate, the build and display quality is very good and the color accuracy is amazing.. The ZR24W, as mentioned by Jaguarskx, looks quite similar though with a reduced price tag.. It may be worth the look..
a c 196 C Monitor
October 16, 2010 8:39:49 PM

Buying any display, it can be a crap shoot.

The U2311h review mentioned nothing about tinting issues. But you mentioned tinting was a common issue.

The HP LP2475w which is recommended by Emperus is also reviewed by TFTCentral and has mentioned no tinting issues. However, I've read several (may I should restate that to "a lot") of people having tinting issues with the HP LP2475w. Basically one side of the screen had a pinkish tint while the other side had a grayish tint.

Backlight bleeding is an issue with all monitors. In my opinion it seems to be more common in lower priced LCD monitors, than higher priced LCD monitors. There lies the problem with my opinion. How many people buy expensive monitors vs. inexpensive monitors?

My NEC LCD2690WUXi cost me $1,300 and I have not encountered anyone here who also uses that monitor. My Planar 2611w cost me about $790 and I encountered only one or two other here that has that monitor. I have no backlight bleeding (at least not enough to complain) or unusual tinting issues with those monitors. Both monitors use the same H-IPS panel.

I also have an Asus VK246H TN panel monitor which I was using to keep an eye on some processes for my HTPC (home theatre PC). I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something that was only gonna be use a few hours a week (now less than 4 hours per month) so dropping something like $240 on it wasn't a big deal. This Asus monitor does have some backlight issues that are much more apparent than my other two monitors. It is not severe, but immediately noticeable to me. I did not return it 'cause I didn't want to be bothered with an RMA for something that gets very little usage.
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2010 2:21:50 AM

Some monitors, regardless of their panel quality, require to be caliberated on the first go.. I've seen caliberation required scenario even on HP Dreamcolor series.. The initial reviews of the LP2475W suggested that caliberation may be required to get the perfect image quality the monitor is capable of.. My monitor however came factory caliberated (lucky me) and as such had no issues (tinting or ghosting or any sort of bleeding) from the first time it turned ON..

P.S. - The best monitors IMO are from Apple..
October 19, 2010 4:42:48 PM

Thank you for your help. I opted for the DELL U2311H. Do you recommend any color calibration hardware? Not expensive, one regular but good. Maybe the colordata Spyder express? It is much inferior to the pro? I know the pro have the ability to compensate/measure for environment light, but it is a bit more expensive. Any major diference?

Regards
Nuno
October 22, 2010 8:06:27 AM

Nuno, Try this config if you didn't already buy a hardware calibrator.
Custom color setting
Brightness : 30
Red : 99
Green : 95
Blue : 98

Thats what I use on my U2311H, and its a thing of beauty.
!